ADVERTISEMENT

Weezy...What the hell happened?

He's just asking a real question....Maybe needs to be the 6th man? Ouch..

A bunch of the guys looked a little flat out there tonight. Wouldn't worry about it for now. If it happens again Coach can always send a message and start a few of the backups who looked good. Point is I wouldn't worry about it until UNC. Illinois was really the only top B1G team that looked like they were playing their best ball. Everyone else looked rusty tonight too but also very talented. B1G looks even deeper than expected.

Everything will be fine

Its only the first game

And he has a great support system

5dd6128e3797b.image.jpg

As a freshmen he didn’t have to be assertive. He just let the game come to him. Now he’s the #2 guy, but seems to struggle getting his shots. He takes the shots he always has when open, but has a hard time creating for himself.

Reactions: Garbaggio
First game and he got into foul trouble with that “charge” early second half. It’s a learning experience for them to play in front of an empty house. I’m more concerned with Connor playing slack D than Wiezy not playing with a ton of confidence to start the season. Just shows he is a grounded kid but need to show some swagger.

As a freshmen he didn’t have to be assertive. He just let the game come to him. Now he’s the #2 guy, but seems to struggle getting his shots. He takes the shots he always has when open, but has a hard time creating for himself.
There is so much scoring talent on this team that he does not need to be the #2 guy and can afford to let the game come to him. Let's let the season progress - no need for hand-wringing just yet.

He was so good as a true Frosh and was really good up until Feb. last season. Now, he isn’t doing nearly as well. What happened?
I also think its too early to worry about Joe. I guess long term if I have a concern about him its that much of this seems in his head since the NBA camp workouts, and of course now being engaged. Its got to be hard to be that close to someone and now I doubt that he can see her at all for long periods of time. Its too early for him to worry about his career or being the provider, so hope he can settle in and just have some fun this season.

Reactions: amahawk
I love that when he didn't get it done on the defensive end early in the 2nd half, Fran pulled him. Deep talent is a wonderful thing.

Pat replaced him and he sat until about 14ish min. Pulled really early in the 2nd. Maybe he had 3 fouls? I doubt it since we had so few in the 1st half.

He's being asked, for the 2nd year in a row, to be something he's not, a 4. He's has bulked up a little to try and take the pounding but he's not a BIG 4. He'll be fine in my opinion and he'll be better when Nunge gets back and Keagan really gets into the flow of things.

He's being asked, for the 2nd year in a row, to be something he's not, a 4. He's has bulked up a little to try and take the pounding but he's not a BIG 4. He'll be fine in my opinion and he'll be better when Nunge gets back and Keagan really gets into the flow of things.

He’s barely playing any minutes at our 4 spot

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Last year when he started to slip was when Jbo was out and when Frederick missed a bunch of games and everyone and their dog was keying on him and he wasn't able to adjust. This was just one game and as has been mentioned he got into a little bit of foul trouble which probably hurt his ability to get into a rhythm. Let's give him some time to settle in

Joe's demeanor and results always seem to improve if he knocks down that first shot. Most great shooters have short memories. He just needs a couple of good shooting games and I'd bet he will be fine.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft

He doesn't need to be the #2 guy now. I felt like he forced the action a little yesterday.

Theres so much offensive fire power on this team anyone who's open will score.

Theres at least 4 guys who could put up 30 on any night and Patrick might be a 5th.

Most everyone will have to double Garza and after that it should be easy to get open shots.

He’s a great shooter and all around well-rounded. His ball handling and explosiveness off the dribble - particularly going left - hasn’t developed. He’s going to really struggle at the next level, whatever level that may be.

Theres no difference between 3 and 4 in Iowas zone.

Hes playing offense on the peremiter.

Last year teams were usually putting their best perimeter defender on Joe and that was probably the biggest reason for his struggle.

He just needs to hit open shots and he'll be fine.

Reactions: seam and nelly02
The concern I have is neither shot attempt was even close. I only remember him taking two shots from distance.

His problem is has been his 3pt shot went south in 2nd half of last season and that continued his 1st game this year. I don't think that has anything to do with what position he is being asked to play.

Have we forgotten that a teammate was burying his father the very same day? I don’t know the relationships between the individual players but it certainly doesn’t seem like a stretch that he and Jack could have been close.
and the entire team attended the funeral via Zoom

Just a depressing day for all involved. I can see why their focus might be in a couple places.

I don't know Joe, never met him, but he just does not look like he's enjoying himself playing the game he should love. After he threw up an airball on his first shot attempt, he just looked like, "here we go again." He also got called for two bogus fouls, one of which took away an "and one" from him and I believe sent him to the bench. He just needs a little early success to get this turned around.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Good 3 ball spot up shooter. That will come. He needs to consider some stop and pop jumpers. He’s not good going all the way to the rim. Also not a great playmaker, rarely seems to set up others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT