ADVERTISEMENT

Weigers as back up QB

ICWestfan

HR Legend
May 26, 2005
No this isn't a "play Weigers NOW!" topic. I am wondering what you would do in this situation- Assuming Rudock is gone for real and CJB is the #1, do you try and get Weigers 2 or 3 or 4 series a game prior to the start of the BIG season if only to get him some in game experience? I don't mean hope for a blow out mop up game time, but run with the ones meaningful game time?

If I am KF, I think a couple of series a game would be extremely beneficial to Weigers in the event that something would happen to CJB. Of course this all becomes moot if Rudock returns.

You must be new here. KF won't do that. He absolutely should given CJ's knack for running the ball, but won't, citing CJ gives us the best chance to win.

Typically there's at least one game before B1G season starts with a large enough lead to bring in the backup QB to finish the game. Wiegers has some hype,and good size. Curious to see if it translates to the field.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ICWestfan:

No this isn't a "play Weigers NOW!" topic. I am wondering what you would do in this situation- Assuming Rudock is gone for real and CJB is the #1, do you try and get Weigers 2 or 3 or 4 series a game prior to the start of the BIG season if only to get him some in game experience? I don't mean hope for a blow out mop up game time, but run with the ones meaningful game time?

If I am KF, I think a couple of series a game would be extremely beneficial to Weigers in the event that something would happen to CJB. Of course this all becomes moot if Rudock returns.
All depends on game situation. Pretty simple.

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:

All depends on game situation. Pretty simple.
I agree to an extent. IMO I think you give Weigers a couple series regardless of the situation and might go as far as playing him a series even if the Hawks are behind. Even a smidgeon of real game time will help.

While that would be the logical or correct thing to do it is not historically something in the KF coaching tendencies. James Vandenberg taking EVERY snap a couple of years ago and not giving CJB many meaningful minutes early last season after saying the two QB's were equal and special packages would be looked at to try and utilize CJB's strengths. Didn't happen. Wonder why he thought about leaving?

I have a feeling our OL is going to be less than stellar, at least early in the season.
frown.r191677.gif

Not sure it would happen without a comfortable lead and I dont know who we will have a comfortable lead on.

Originally posted by Section8:
While that would be the logical or correct thing to do it is not historically something in the KF coaching tendencies. James Vandenberg taking EVERY snap a couple of years ago and not giving CJB many meaningful minutes early last season after saying the two QB's were equal and special packages would be looked at to try and utilize CJB's strengths. Didn't happen. Wonder why he thought about leaving?
I think that may have had something to do with it being GD's first year and them 'working on things'. Not saying it was right or that I agree.
It would be nice if he had the chance for some mop up duty.

To the OP; we will have no foreseeable game where we would be in any sort of comfortable lead given the 4 teams on our noncon schedule

Originally posted by ichawk24:
Iowa fans bitch that Kirk doesn't play to win the game, yet think he should purposely play lesser players.

when the outcome is no longer in doubt, you can put the back up in. He didn't do that with Rudock during the 2012 season from hell.

I agree to an extent. IMO I think you give Weigers a couple series regardless of the situation and might go as far as playing him a series even if the Hawks are behind. Even a smidgeon of real game time will help.
Unless we're getting blown out...no. In the Weigers scenario I certainly want the kid to get snaps but game situation certainly does matter.
This post was edited on 3/30 8:59 AM by binsfeldcyhawk2

ADVERTISEMENT