ADVERTISEMENT

Weightlifting for wrestlers

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
First, a personal note. I'm somewhat old (62) but have been fairly active/athletic my whole life - wrestled in high school, then a lot of mountaineering and rock climbing during my adult years, along with stuff like racquetball, bball, tennis, etc. But I never lifted weights until 6 months ago. It's been great! I'm at the gym six days a week, and for the first time in my life I've added muscle, especially bicep/tricep. Also, at first I could only do a HALF pullup, now I'm up to 6 -- pushups have increased from 30 to 45 (total of 100 during four sets). Amazing that at my age, I'm building muscle mass!

Well, last week I met a guy at the gym who wrestled at Colorado School of Mines (decent D2 school) in the mid 90s. I was telling him that Spencer Lee has insane strength as far as pulling strength, and Spencer has stated that his strength training focuses on pulling motion (curls, rows, lat pulls, rope climb, pullups, etc --- not exercises like bench press). The Mines wrestler was pretty built in college, but said that if he had to do it over again, he would focus less on lifting and more on "movement" such as speed, quickness, anticipation and technique. He essentially felt that strength was/is emphasized too much, that it's often considered the key to wrestling success. When you look at a lot of great wrestlers over the years, they had decent strength, but it's not the strength that was the key to their success, but rather other attributes such as technique, scrambling, mat awareness, quickness, anticipation, etc.

I thought I'd post a thread asking you Cesspoolians for your thoughts on weightlifting for college wrestlers. The way I see it, BALANCE is where it's at - of course you need to have above average strength at the college level, but you also need the other attributes listed above. In the Chattanooga grades thread, MVPFAN had an excellent post that critiqued the Hawkeye wrestling style, which is grinding and stresses hand fighting and collar ties. I've always appreciated the hard-nosed style that Iowa employs, but as MVP points out, it seems that wearing out an opponent is the focus, rather than score, score, score. In the 1980s the Hawks were superior in their conditioning (AND focused on scoring), but for the last 20 years it seems that most all college wrestlers have outstanding cardio and strength, and aren't affected much by the grinding nature of Iowa wrestlers. C'mon Hawks, just get the takedown and go from there, rather than grinding in neutral and thinking you'll wear out your opponent.

It's ironic that as much as Iowa stresses the grinding style, it seems that they've not been "well-muscled". I previously thought that they need to hit the weights more, in order to impose their will on their opponents, but now I'm thinking that decent strength will suffice, and they need to develop the other aspects of wrestling that I mentioned above. What do you guys think? Todd Conner, if you read this, I'd be interested in your thoughts since you're a big-time lifter, right?

Strong yes, bulky power lifter muscle no. Look at Kemmer, Eireman, Nolf, Zain, DT, Dake and many other of the best college and international wrestlers. They are obviously strong but not bulky to the point of giving up speed and flexibility.

Reactions: el dub
The OP is kinda all over the road. STRENGTH is only second to technique in wrestling. There are several forms of strength. Speed strength or explosive strength, repetition strength, and max strength. Speed strength is especially POWER. Olympic type lifters have the greatest amount of this. It is the ability to generate force quickly.

Rep strength is the ability to keep lifting/moving and object over and over. MAX is the ability to lift as much as possible. ALL play rolls and must be trained. Most programs are garbage, and that includes college programs!

One must understand, that strength comes into play right from the start. A new wrestler who has some decent natural strength, is more likely to be able to hit the techniques being taught. They tend to develop much quicker.

The OP does go into other areas. I would say the mental game is 3rd in line with Conditioning next, but that could be flipped? Then there are a bunch of other factors. Agility, Balance, Flexibility, etc....

As for the IOWA style, the way I see it, it is mostly the way matches are called today that limits it. Stalling was called much quicker back in the Gable days. You could not wrestle the way they do today without being stalled out in like the 2nd period. This is fact, watch matches!

Techniques have also evolved with the funk/scramble being the most obvious. I have talked about a rule change to award the offensive wrestlers. When a defensive wrestler, think RBY against DeSanto, keeps creating stalemates, a stall warning should be issued.

Stalling was called much quicker back in the Gable days.
This is a fact. Alas, times change, sometimes for the better--sometimes for the worse. All anyone can do adapt as best they can to live in the present as things are.

The wrestling coaches mostly control the wrestling rule book, so I suppose, as in the past, this and future generations will continue to shape the rules, their interpretation, and the enforcement.

Historians out there... what exactly happened that changed how stalling was called--from what we remember to what we see today? Can anybody put their finger on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
The OP is kinda all over the road. STRENGTH is only second to technique in wrestling. There are several forms of strength. Speed strength or explosive strength, repetition strength, and max strength. Speed strength is especially POWER. Olympic type lifters have the greatest amount of this. It is the ability to generate force quickly.

Rep strength is the ability to keep lifting/moving and object over and over. MAX is the ability to lift as much as possible. ALL play rolls and must be trained. Most programs are garbage, and that includes college programs!

One must understand, that strength comes into play right from the start. A new wrestler who has some decent natural strength, is more likely to be able to hit the techniques being taught. They tend to develop much quicker.

The OP does go into other areas. I would say the mental game is 3rd in line with Conditioning next, but that could be flipped? Then there are a bunch of other factors. Agility, Balance, Flexibility, etc....

As for the IOWA style, the way I see it, it is mostly the way matches are called today that limits it. Stalling was called much quicker back in the Gable days. You could not wrestle the way they do today without being stalled out in like the 2nd period. This is fact, watch matches!

Techniques have also evolved with the funk/scramble being the most obvious. I have talked about a rule change to award the offensive wrestlers. When a defensive wrestler, think RBY against DeSanto, keeps creating stalemates, a stall warning should be issued.
All pretty true. The best wrestlers are probably all pretty strong. There comes a point where you won't need much more strength but that's at the highest levels.

Strong yes, bulky power lifter muscle no. Look at Kemmer, Eireman, Nolf, Zain, DT, Dake and many other of the best college and international wrestlers. They are obviously strong but not bulky to the point of giving up speed and flexibility.
Powerlifters at an extreme won't make the best wrestlers due to proportions. Highest levels demonstrations of strength are a specific niche that won't always make you better at other sports. Go look at Eddy Coan, 5'7" maybe. He competed at 181-242 I think ( maybe a few meets lighter as a kid) with his best lifts around 198-220. You don't need mid 800 squats and deads to be an effective 197 lb wrestler lol. I'm betting 500 ish with all the other factors at a top level would be more than enough strength.

IMO it depends on age. The younger they are the more strength training they need. Guys on senior level - not so much. See the typical Russian wrestler.

This is a fact. Alas, times change, sometimes for the better--sometimes for the worse. All anyone can do adapt as best they can to live in the present as things are.

The wrestlinh coaches mostly control the wrestling rule book, so I suppose, as in the past, this and future generations will continue to shape the rules, their interpretation, and the enforcement.

Historians out there... what exactly happened that changed how stalling was called--from what we remember to what we see today? Can anybody put their finger on it?
What happened is, in my opinion, with everything being filmed, more fans, more exposure etc.... The pressure on the Refs became greater. For the most part, good Refs want to stay out of the match. Calling stalling and awarding points. Brings them into the match. In other words the Wrestler did't shoot a technique to score. This can create some difficult situations for them, as apposed to just swallowing the whistle.

You would like to see much more. "you have to use it" Keep working to improve" "stay in the center" etc.... Like a rattle snake warning you before it strikes. If the ref is giving verbal indications, the wrestlers should get the idea. Then a official warning, which is like 2 strikes, followed by points.
All pretty true. The best wrestlers are probably all pretty strong. There comes a point where you won't need much more strength but that's at the highest levels.
Have to disagree. At the highest levels of the sport, that is where you see the real studs. You can certainly look at Americas best and see it clearly. Jordan, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, cox, etc.... Look at them, also note the size difference between college and international. The great Kale even talked about it. after going 159-0, he had to get much stronger to win the olympic title.
Powerlifters at an extreme won't make the best wrestlers due to proportions. Highest levels demonstrations of strength are a specific niche that won't always make you better at other sports. Go look at Eddy Coan, 5'7" maybe. He competed at 181-242 I think ( maybe a few meets lighter as a kid) with his best lifts around 198-220. You don't need mid 800 squats and deads to be an effective 197 lb wrestler lol. I'm betting 500 ish with all the other factors at a top level would be more than enough strength.
Again, no, the stronger the better. It is well documented that MAX strength is paramount. everything else works off of it. Why you may be getting confused is. Someone like Ed Coan is an elite Powerlifter, trained to move as much weight as possible in the big three lifts for 1 rep. While he might have been a great wrestler if he decided to go that way, his training would have to change.

This could be said for all athletes in any sports. Long distance runners, Football players, Swimmers, the specificity of training at a high level for each sport is different to develop the desired outcome. Wrestling is like no other sport though. You need every piece of the athletic puzzle. These are truly the greatest athletes in the world, when you use the proper definition of the word!

That being said, there are factors in my opinion that come into play. How much muscle can you carry at a particular height and weight? The type of frame you have also comes into play. I think that maybe your heart comes into play. How big, how strong, how much blood can it pump. Their is something called VO2 Max which has to do with Oxygen, also stroke volume which is how much blood is pump with each beat.

So a shorter man like Coan carrying up to 242 competition body weight has to fuel those muscles with less overall blood and technically a smaller heart then someone who is 6-2. This is my theory anyway, you reach limits that the body is not able to break though no matter how much training you do. Just picture someone like him trying to run a marathon! Not going to happen.

Now if you could somehow put his 900+ deadlift into a 197 pound wrestler, lets put it this way, things will get broke!!! There is a reason PEDs are illegal! Just wait till they perfect genetic engineering!!! People may die!

All over the road? You make AJ look like an 2002 Lexus RX 300, which just so happens to be a car I just picked up with under 150,000 miles for less than 2000 bucks. So there.

What happened is, in my opinion, with everything being filmed, more fans, more exposure etc.... The pressure on the Refs became greater. For the most part, good Refs want to stay out of the match. Calling stalling and awarding points. Brings them into the match. In other words the Wrestler did't shoot a technique to score. This can create some difficult situations for them, as apposed to just swallowing the whistle.

You would like to see much more. "you have to use it" Keep working to improve" "stay in the center" etc.... Like a rattle snake warning you before it strikes. If the ref is giving verbal indications, the wrestlers should get the idea. Then a official warning, which is like 2 strikes, followed by points.

Have to disagree. At the highest levels of the sport, that is where you see the real studs. You can certainly look at Americas best and see it clearly. Jordan, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, cox, etc.... Look at them, also note the size difference between college and international. The great Kale even talked about it. after going 159-0, he had to get much stronger to win the olympic title.

Again, no, the stronger the better. It is well documented that MAX strength is paramount. everything else works off of it. Why you may be getting confused is. Someone like Ed Coan is an elite Powerlifter, trained to move as much weight as possible in the big three lifts for 1 rep. While he might have been a great wrestler if he decided to go that way, his training would have to change.

This could be said for all athletes in any sports. Long distance runners, Football players, Swimmers, the specificity of training at a high level for each sport is different to develop the desired outcome. Wrestling is like no other sport though. You need every piece of the athletic puzzle. These are truly the greatest athletes in the world, when you use the proper definition of the word!

That being said, there are factors in my opinion that come into play. How much muscle can you carry at a particular height and weight? The type of frame you have also comes into play. I think that maybe your heart comes into play. How big, how strong, how much blood can it pump. Their is something called VO2 Max which has to do with Oxygen, also stroke volume which is how much blood is pump with each beat.

So a shorter man like Coan carrying up to 242 competition body weight has to fuel those muscles with less overall blood and technically a smaller heart then someone who is 6-2. This is my theory anyway, you reach limits that the body is not able to break though no matter how much training you do. Just picture someone like him trying to run a marathon! Not going to happen.

Now if you could somehow put his 900+ deadlift into a 197 pound wrestler, lets put it this way, things will get broke!!! There is a reason PEDs are illegal! Just wait till they perfect genetic engineering!!! People may die!
Why you are a great athlete usually will come down to genetics including body types. I met Ed Coan and while maybe he could've been a great wrestlers, I doubt he'd be as successful as he was in powerlifting. Would joe Bradley of Lamar Gant being all time greats in wrestling? I have no idea but they were the best at 132-148 back in the day.
The top guys will be those who maximize their genetic gifts with solid training. And at the highest level they will have to see what they will need to improve. I'll guess that guy like Sanderson and Dake have technique down and strength might be an area that will help.
A less than elite athlete probably can improve everywhere.

The pressure on the Refs became greater. For the most part, good Refs want to stay out of the match. Calling stalling and awarding points. Brings them into the match. In other words the Wrestler did't shoot a technique to score. This can create some difficult situations for them, as apposed to just swallowing the whistle.
I think you may be saying that some combination of:
  1. An increasing conventional wisdom that "The best referees go unnoticed. They don't make themselves a focus of a sport by inserting themselves"; and,
  2. The potential for 'infamy' through a recording of call made certain way at a certain time
could be detrimental to wrestling and how stalling is called.

These seem to be considerations that Referee Rivera is largely unconcerned with.

I recall a coach saying they look for consistency among referees, while realizing that is unlikely to happen in their lifetime. So they keep notes on individual referees and their tendencies, which they may quickly brief their wrestlers before competition. That way they become informed and can anticipate (won't be surprised and taken aback mentally).

You would like to see much more. "you have to use it" Keep working to improve" "stay in the center" etc.... Like a rattle snake warning you before it strikes. If the ref is giving verbal indications, the wrestlers should get the idea.
I understand what your saying and it seems to be the norm in wrestling. But honestly, it comes across to me as coaching rather than refereeing. In most sports, refs or umpires just use judgment to make objective calls without that kind of engagement. As a coach, I didn't want referees or umpires providing my players instruction.

In about 1995 I was at the Arnold Classic bodybuilding and fitness expo in Columbus, Ohio and stood next to Ed Coan while he was talking to somebody. He the deepest voice I had ever heard. Magnus Ver Magnussen 5X world's strongest man was there I got his autograph. He looked like a medium large size bouncer at a club you would never think he was a world's strongest man.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
In about 1995 I was at the Arnold Classic bodybuilding and fitness expo in Columbus, Ohio and stood next to Ed Coan while he was talking to somebody. He the deepest voice I had ever heard. Magnus Ver Magnussen 5X world's strongest man was there I got his autograph. He looked like a medium large size bouncer at a club you would never think he was a world's strongest man.
wait what!?!? You must be a BIG dude or be hanging at some pretty bad ass bars???? MAG was a 4X champion I believe? something like 6-3 300+ pounds!!!!

Reactions: Jason.D.Brantley
I use to be a big dude sigh. I was a spectator and wasn't on the stage. I got all the bodybuilders autographs back then. Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
They’re pretty athletic really . I was a volunteer out there in the early 2000s some of them are fairly lean but most were pretty thick lol.

Reactions: Jason.D.Brantley
All over the road? You make AJ look like an 2002 Lexus RX 300, which just so happens to be a car I just picked up with under 150,000 miles for less than 2000 bucks. So there.
LMAO, I do not even know what to say but TY for making me laugh!
They’re pretty athletic really . I was a volunteer out there in the early 2000s some of them are fairly lean but most were pretty thick lol.
Some are pretty unreal, KAZ, Pudzianoski, come to mind. Both tried other things with limited success. KAZ football, Mariusz MMA i think. Very hard to be great at one sport, multiple is rare!

Reactions: PD4thespawn
LMAO, I do not even know what to say but TY for making me laugh!

Some are pretty unreal, KAZ, Pudzianoski, come to mind. Both tried other things with limited success. KAZ football, Mariusz MMA i think. Very hard to be great at one sport, multiple is rare!
Kaz was in his late thirties or older I believe when he tried out for the pros and did fairly well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT