ADVERTISEMENT

Well today started off pretty freaking bad...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Had a nice thunderstorm last night. REALLY happy for the rain as I planted sweet potato slips on Tuesday and that was going to be the PERFECT situation to water them in real well and get them nice and happy!

NOT!

At some point last night, some sort of critter ripped half of my slips out of the ground! I think it was just trying to eat leaves and because they weren't rooted in, they got pulled out in the process.

So, I stuck them back in the ground. Maybe they'll still be okay, maybe not. Some look worse than others.

I have three backup slips in a glass of water so if some of them don't make it, I'll still be okay.

I'm guessing it was the stupid sandhill cranes. It could also be a squirrel or a possum. But I bet it's the cranes. Unfortunately, it's against the law to shoot or otherwise harass them.

Good morning!

Now I have to build a fence.

Reactions: pepsicock
My heart sunk when I read that "NOT!" part. I knew from that point forward things were going to be much more dark.
not-borat.gif

Tilled the garden yesterday. Today is planting day! and yes fence around a garden is a must.
I had a voracious rabbit issue last year...wiped out half my beans,some pepper and tomatoes.
Will chicken wire fence(tightly constructed) keep them out?
Otherwise it is all-out war with my .410(Bill Murray-style).

Uhm, I hate to break this to you, but the sandhill cranes have the ability to fly in over the fence you're going to build.

It's only a 4x5 plot with a dozen plants in it. The crane would have to drop in like a helicopter and his wing span is too big. They wouldn't dare try it.

It's just going to be a floppy plastic garden fence supported with bamboo stakes. The squirrels won't try to climb it either because it's not steady, and the stakes wont reach all the way to the top, so it'll flop them back outside the bed.

I had a voracious rabbit issue last year...wiped out half my beans,some pepper and tomatoes.

Yeah, you need metal for rabbits. I would go with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire.

That has worked for me. Plus, the dog scares the rabbits off.

Had a nice thunderstorm last night. REALLY happy for the rain as I planted sweet potato slips on Tuesday and that was going to be the PERFECT situation to water them in real well and get them nice and happy!

NOT!

At some point last night, some sort of critter ripped half of my slips out of the ground! I think it was just trying to eat leaves and because they weren't rooted in, they got pulled out in the process.

So, I stuck them back in the ground. Maybe they'll still be okay, maybe not. Some look worse than others.

I have three backup slips in a glass of water so if some of them don't make it, I'll still be okay.

I'm guessing it was the stupid sandhill cranes. It could also be a squirrel or a possum. But I bet it's the cranes. Unfortunately, it's against the law to shoot or otherwise harass them.

Good morning!

Now I have to build a fence.
You consider that "pretty freaking bad"? Grow a set Nancy! 🤣

But in this case the difference seems to be having sweet potatoes vs not having sweet potatoes.

Well, there are a couple of issues with your logic:

(1) Buying slips and improving the soil is going to make these sweet potatoes a lot more expensive than they'd be from the grocery store. BUT....

(2) By purchasing slips I can choose the variety I want for various growth and fruit characteristics. You don't know what sort of variety you're getting from the store.

(3) By having a known variety, you can save some tubers for next year and propagate your own slips which overcomes problem #1 above after a few growing seasons. And a store bought variety sprouted for slips might not do well in a particular climate, so having a known variety overcomes problem #2.

Anyway, I planted the Vardaman variety because it's supposed to be bushy and compact rather than sprawling all over the garden. The tubers have the traditional bright orange flesh (some varieties are white or even purple!) and it's supposed to be among the best-tasting variety out there.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

(1) Buying slips and improving the soil is going to make these sweet potatoes a lot more expensive than they'd be from the grocery store. BUT....

(2) By purchasing slips I can choose the variety I want for various growth and fruit characteristics. You don't know what sort of variety you're getting from the store.

(3) By having a known variety, you can save some tubers for next year and propagate your own slips which overcomes problem #1 above after a few growing seasons.

Anyway, I planted the Vardaman variety because it's supposed to be bushy and compact rather than sprawling all over the garden. The tubers have the traditional bright orange flesh (some varieties are white or even purple!) and it's supposed to be among the best-tasting variety out there.
To be fair, I've never tried growing potatoes (sweet or otherwise). I've grown tomatoes and different peppers mostly. I've also done squash and zucchini. I did okra once but didn't really get many from it. I also tried carrots and corn, but those mostly just fed the local wildlife.

Reactions: The Tradition

(3) By having a known variety, you can save some tubers for next year and propagate your own slips which overcomes problem #1 above after a few growing seasons. And a store bought variety sprouted for slips might not do well in a particular climate, so having a known variety overcomes problem #2.

Florida doesn't have farmers markets? Or a store that sells local produce?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT