ADVERTISEMENT

Well Well - Those Tony Bennett Love Threads

And1Hawk

HR Heisman
Mar 13, 2015
Someone can go back about 10 pages of threads to pull up all of that love fest commentary for Tony Bennett and that stifling defense. Yes, I know they lost a star player.... but UMBC.. really?

Remember all that ‘defense wins all the time’ mantra. That’s all fine and good but that approach can have nights when they can’t score when it really counts.

They just made history losing to a 16 seed UMBC who Fran has blown out at least twice.

Moral of the story the best teams can play both ends.

They go 31-3 and dance annually and you are bragging about Fran beating past umbc teams as your “in your face” line? How sad is your life?

Not sad at all. 31-3 counts for exactly nothing but living in history as the first team ever to fall to the worst seeded 16. Try that on for size. UVA basketball will wear that badge of honor forever.

Not sad at all. 31-3 counts for exactly nothing but living in history as the first team ever to fall to the worst seeded 16. Try that on for size. UVA basketball will wear that badge of honor forever.
As an iowa fan, i would trade places 100% of the time

Reactions: K OKeefe
I mean if history has proven one thing it’s that we should definitely take the outcome of one tournament game and create an entire thread about how wrong everyone was in life

As an iowa fan, i would trade places 100% of the time

I am not sure...

I will get over and probably forget this season. If this was Iowa tonight, pretty sure that cut lasts a lifetime.

Heck, I still am not over NW St.

Virginia fans will never forget this night and not in a good way.

Bennett and Virginia will never live this down, they will be a running joke from here on out

Where is iowa in that video? And I’m not just talking about this year

That’s the point our Steve Alford NWLA moment as a three seed lives on. We are stuck with it.

The point is ‘wonder boy’ Bennett just got beat historically.

I guess i find it pathetic to revel in someone elses misery. Especially, when we have our own issues and then some. Who are we again?

You don’t get it but that’s ok. Bennett seems to be a great guy, classy coach. It’s not as much reveling but enjoying the irony.

There were multiple threads touting Bennett’s ‘boring ball’ quoting another poster as the miracle cure for our program. Well when it mattered the most on the biggest stage it failed too.

Go check the UVA board and let us know how they feel about this season now.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You don’t get it but that’s ok. Bennett seems to be a great guy, classy coach. It’s not as much reveling but enjoying the irony.

There were multiple threads touting Bennett’s ‘boring ball’ quoting another poster as the miracle cure for our program. Well when it mattered the most on the biggest stage it failed too.

Go check the UVA board and let us know how they feel about this season now.

Considering Bennett has as many NCAA tournament wins as Iowa has in the past 27 years, i’m assuming an overwhelming majority of Iowa fans would take him and his results in a heartbeat.

Considering Bennett has as many NCAA tournament wins as Iowa has in the past 27 years, i’m assuming an overwhelming majority of Iowa fans would take him and his results in a heartbeat.

Absolutely. Lute was famous for several huge disappointments in the Tourney at AZ. No coach, no system, no team is immune from this.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Difference. Virginia will be back as a high seed again next year and probably several more in the future. This stings for them and will always be embarrassing, but they will have other opportunities.

2006 for us was our best seed in basically decades. We haven’t had a favorable seed since. That stings hard to this day because that was our one best chance to go deep and have a shot at the final four if events fell in our favor. That team was full of very experienced seniors and we knew we were rebuilding the next year, or as it turns out the next half decade or more, before having another possible team like that. The 1999 sweet sixteen was unexpected and you have to go back to the 80’s for when we last expected to be playing on the 2nd weekend of the tourney. All of those things combined are why that loss is probably more painful than embarrassing to me. The embarrassing aspect I can just blame on Alford as he has shown an ability to lose to 14 seeds at multiple schools.

If Virginia comes back in a year or two and wins the whole thing, this won’t sting nearly as much. It will still be embarrassing, but you can get over that with a few deep runs in the upcoming years. We have a grand total of 2 NCAA wins in 3 appearances in the 12 years since.

With all of their wins, Virginia has made themselves attractive to recruits and will be back in this position. I’d definitely take their situation over ours.

“31-3 counts for exactly nothing...”

Come on, man. The ACC Championship and ACC Tourney Championship count for exactly nothing?

Nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdg8
I can only hope that the more of these upsets we see the fewer times I have to hear mention or have to watch the NWState shot to upset the Hawkeyes.

Epic fails are never forgotten. Up until last night, the biggest fail in college basketball history was Virginia losing to Chaminade. This was on the biggest stage for college basketball. UVA fans will never forget this game and yes it spoils this season for them.

“31-3 counts for exactly nothing...”

Come on, man. The ACC Championship and ACC Tourney Championship counts for exactly nothing?

Nonsense.

Probably harsh so I should have said ‘parting gifts’ but everyone knows that college basketball has turned the emphasis into what you do in the big dance because that’s the true measure. It’s the ultimate head to head test. It’s the marquee showcase.

All those times of Keady winning the old big ten and then like clockwork being bounced by the second round of the tourney downgraded those in-season results. Add Virginia to the list with 31 wins, regular season tittles and bounced by a 16 seed. There will be no ticker-tape parades and you can bet their fan base will not feel this season was a glowing success. Might even be a few FireBennett discussions by the radical elements of their fanbase who want the ‘next level’.

There's a possibility Fran won't make the tourney for 3 (or more) straight years and you're giving Bennett crap? Haha

The tourney is remembered, but you at least have to make the ****ing thing first.

But in the end the system that can’t fail did so historically.

Upsets happen. Would you have wanted Lloyd Carr's results at Michigan? That App St loss is still considered one of the greatest upsets in college football history, but he won a national title and had a pretty good career. Hell, up until last night, Duke's loss to Lehigh as a 2 seed was considered one of the biggest upsets in tournament history. What about coach K? Your reaching in this thread, and given Iowa's lack of success over the last 30 years, you would take Bennett's results in a heartbeat and you know it

Reactions: NI hawk
This maybe the most lamest post I have seen...like for real

Pretty Lame. Fran has 4-14 B1G record in year B1G only sends 4 teams to dance and a body of work that doesn't match UVA. Yeah, I'll take an occasional loss in 1st round vs what Fran has given us.

Upsets happen. Would you have wanted Lloyd Carr's results at Michigan? That App St loss is still considered one of the greatest upsets in college football history, but he won a national title and had a pretty good career. Hell, up until last night, Duke's loss to Lehigh as a 2 seed was considered one of the biggest upsets in tournament history. What about coach K? Your reaching in this thread, and given Iowa's lack of success over the last 30 years, you would take Bennett's results in a heartbeat and you know it

Coach K is a phony and a cheater who made a ton of money off of it. He gets a zero on my respect meter.

Point is the ‘infallible’ system is fallable after all.

Reactions: bdg8
Just who would you take over Tony Bennett as a coach, if you had your choice? Maybe his teams are boring for those ignorant fans, who only appreciate the one aspect of basketball. He is relatively young and seems to be a genuinely good guy. He seems to run a clean program with quality kids. He has had great success in an incredibly tough league coaching against some legends, and there is no reason to believe that won't continue for decades. He would be on a VERY short list for me.

I don't care about uva basketball. Or Bennett. Basketball with scores in the low 50s is boring as hell and I don't watch it.
I can virtually guarantee you that 5 years from now if someone brought up their program the one thing I would remember is this incredible first round flame out as a 1 seed against a 16.

I don't care about uva basketball. Or Bennett. Basketball with scores in the low 50s is boring as hell and I don't watch it.
I can virtually guarantee you that 5 years from now if someone brought up their program the one thing I would remember is this incredible first round flame out as a 1 seed against a 16.
The goal in basketball is to win. Bennett has a winning approach. Too bad you can't appreciate it. I am glad that there is a shot clock:)

Reactions: Carlton
The goal in basketball is to win. Bennett has a winning approach. Too bad you can't appreciate it. I am glad that there is a shot clock:)
I don't have anything against Bennett. He's taking a tactic that he can, usually, make work. I just don't care for it. It's tedious and not entertaining.
There's a balance between offense and defense that I enjoy watching. Both he and Fran's approaches aren't what I want to see. Scores in the 70s to low 80s with a few key defensive stops, that's the sweet spot.

Coach K is a phony and a cheater who made a ton of money off of it. He gets a zero on my respect meter.

Point is the ‘infallible’ system is fallable after all.
Based on your original post and now this, it appears you need to grow up. Also, more teams exist than just Iowa.

I don't have anything against Bennett. He's taking a tactic that he can, usually, make work. I just don't care for it. It's tedious and not entertaining.
There's a balance between offense and defense that I enjoy watching. Both he and Fran's approaches aren't what I want to see. Scores in the 70s to low 80s with a few key defensive stops, that's the sweet spot.
There are a lot of parallels between his style and ferentz x 2...including boring

You do realize they averaged 67/game and went 31-3...right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT