ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the bowl game; my take aways

Iowa has now lost seven games in a row to ranked opponents. That’s not winning.
Especially considering that each one was an ugly beat-down, with the 13-point loss to Michigan in '22 being the only score that didn't look completely embarrassing. Even Iowa's 9-game losing streak to ranked teams during the excruciating '11-'14 seasons involved multiple one-score games and only a few that were lopsided. I wish the "Yeah, but we won 10 games" crowd would understand that.

Especially considering that each one was an ugly beat-down, with the 13-point loss to Michigan in '22 being the only score that didn't look completely embarrassing. Even Iowa's 9-game losing streak to ranked teams during the excruciating '11-'14 seasons involved multiple one-score games and only a few that were lopsided. I wish the "Yeah, but we won 10 games" crowd would understand that.
That same crowd also forgets that Iowa has lost 13 games the last 3 years.

I literally saved and spent my money to go to Indy knowing we would get killed but still tried to support the players. I couldn't afford to do the same in Orlando.
Like it matters ... but you wanted to be there more than Michigan did

I had to watch this offense in person 3 times this year. That's enough sacrifice for anyone.
3 times! I'm guessing you thought about a noose, a high ledge, or your car left running in the garage after those games! ;)

excited ralph wiggum GIF

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Ranked teams look at Iowa as a stat padding game.

Pick sixes, standard picks, sacks, TFL, fumble recoveries; ranked defenses licking their chops to get those prized stats against a team like Iowa.

Reactions: mikesright
I was really bummed how few Iowa fans were in Indy. Hate Brian or not, be there for the players. They deserved better.
There were more hawk fans in Indy than I thought there would be. Not very enticing to drive 5-9 hours (depending where you live in Iowa) to watch a game that was a virtual certainty to be ugly. Mr. Ferentz could have helped the attendance by actually playing his best athlete at QB, giving Iowa fans a little bit of hope. Michigan fans had 1/2 the distance and knew they were going to win. The game broke the attendance record so Iowa did pretty well. I drove 8 hours to get to the game, then drove home right after. Orlando is a much easier drive from Tenn and a much cheaper flight and once again, Iowa fans knew what was in store when the QB decision was made. Costs a lot of money to make a trip like that from Iowa. I am sure thousands are thankful they did not throw out that kind of money to watch Mr. Ferentz embarrass himself on National TV.

I don't blame anyone for choosing to spend their money in other ways.

Not only the money, but the time invested to go the game and to return home.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to travel to Orlando; the temp was only in the mid 50's (looked warmer on game day) and the cost would have really added up (airline tickets, game tickets, hotel, rental car, food & entertainment, etc).

Reactions: reedsposer22
“Brian’s talent as a coach”…..

Cue the remember the 2017 OSU / 2019 USC games!!!!

If only Kirk would have let Brian’s talent shine more often. Blah blah blah

92-0 is a fitting stat to end his career with Iowa.

He also failed miserably at the most basic of metrics.

25ppg - finished <16ppg

The talent on this team is Phil Parker and the defensive players ability to carry the team

1) TN fans traveled extremely well compared to us

2) cheezits everywhere LOL

3) #11 for us as QB provided energy, was fun while it lasted, thanks for your effort Lazia? (I forget his name, a true freshman , very good hustle)

4) TN's Nico Iamelavela is a STUD, worth the 8 million in NIL, MVP of his first career start. Will be fun to watch him as a player for TN.

GO HAWKS
Seriously? Worth 8 million? Tenn fills their stadium with or without Nico. Get ready for some big-time bidding wars for high school seniors. This is out of control already and there is no turning back.

4) TN's Nico Iamelavela is a STUD, worth the 8 million in NIL, MVP of his first career start. Will be fun to watch him as a player for TN.

GO HAWKS
Did Tn's QB Nico actually get $8 million in NIL, tell me that is not true, tell me it is a lot less, a big a lot less?

Find me a player that mattered that doesn’t love BF. You can’t. What we think as fans doesn’t matter to the football people. We don’t know shit. They do, and the vast majority of players that have gone through Iowa have immense respect for Brian’s talent as a coach.
Not a fair measuring stick. Not a smart move for any of them to burn that bridge. I don't have to know anything about football to know that Boy Wonder sucks at his (former) job. I can look at stats. The very worst stats means the very worse offense. The very worse QB means the very worse QB coach.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Did Tn's QB Nico actually get $8 million in NIL, tell me that is not true, tell me it is a lot less, a big a lot less?

Spyre Sports Group (a Knoxville NIL collective) signed freshman QB Nico Iamaleava to the reported $8 million deal. Not sure what the terms are, however (how much per year, etc).

Find me a player that mattered that doesn’t love BF. You can’t. What we think as fans doesn’t matter to the football people. We don’t know shit. They do, and the vast majority of players that have gone through Iowa have immense respect for Brian’s talent as a coach.
Joey Labas

A few observations…

They announced over 43k in attendance. It was probably 85/15 Tenn.

All the attention was on Tenn’s holdouts, but the hawks had just over 30 guys not dressed.

We were on the Tenn side and the resources were remarkable. It looked like a NFL sideline. The Iowa side from our perspective looked anemic.

We were lucky Tenn didnt drop 50… their QB took a lot of the easier throws. They had guys running free down the seam and any experienced QB would've had monster numbers

Excited to see who Marco sits behind next year

I know I don't matter, but I won't spend another dime on this program until Kirk is gone. His sticking with Hill as long as he did yesterday--and then seeing what Marco offered and he wasn't at least TRIED during the season--was my last straw.
A quality person who has turned out great men and run a clean program, but I've had it. I will continue to watch when they're on "free" TV and cheer like hell, but my money goes elsewhere.

3) #11 for us as QB provided energy, was fun while it lasted, thanks for your effort Lazia? (I forget his name, a true freshman , very good hustle)

GO HAWKS
You attend the pregame tailgate or any activities the day before? How were they. Went two years ago, just couldn't make it work this year. You never know how bowls will turn out, but really glad I didn't spend the $2K in airfare and hotel. I'm sure everything besides the actual game was a blast.

Reactions: NI hawk
A few observations…

They announced over 43k in attendance. It was probably 85/15 Tenn.

All the attention was on Tenn’s holdouts, but the hawks had just over 30 guys not dressed.

We were on the Tenn side and the resources were remarkable. It looked like a NFL sideline. The Iowa side from our perspective looked anemic.

We were lucky Tenn didnt drop 50… their QB took a lot of the easier throws. They had guys running free down the seam and any experienced QB would've had monster numbers

Excited to see who Marco sits behind next year
30 guys not dressed? I had no idea there were that many. Was there a listing posted anywhere?

Oh good, we have an OC that’s a nice guy so it doesn’t matter that he’s incompetent? I couldn’t care less what the players think. What about what every single college football analyst anywhere thinks about Brian, because they all think he sucks at his job.

So fire Kirk and see what you get. Ya I’m 60 and irrelevant so sure you youngins go hire the new hotness. Good luck! We live in a state with almost zero actual d-1 players each year and limited money to pay for them. I know it’s not “fun”, I was a 20 year season ticket holder. What we did do all these years though is win.
There are over 20 kids this year alone going to D1 schools for football. This isn't 1982 state of Iowa football anymore.

So fire Kirk and see what you get. Ya I’m 60 and irrelevant so sure you youngins go hire the new hotness. Good luck! We live in a state with almost zero actual d-1 players each year and limited money to pay for them. I know it’s not “fun”, I was a 20 year season ticket holder. What we did do all these years though is win.
Does the sentence in bold mean that you are no longer a season ticket holder?

Also, since you’re so super supportive of the players, is it maybe hypocritical to bag on Iowa high school players (especially when you’re inaccurate)?

Talent as an OC coach? Maybe. Competent? Absolutely not. Somehow this "talent" did not manifest into positive results.

GO HAWKS
He looked good, but he kind of defaulted into the MVP.

30 guys not dressed? I had no idea there were that many. Was there a listing posted anywhere?
That's pretty standard for a bowl game. It's like a road game where you can only suit up a limited number, but they bring the other guys to the bowl that aren't on the travel squad.

Bowl game trips are about much more than the game outcome.

Sad if you don’t know that.
You want to enlighten those that aren’t as fortunate to know as much as you?

I for one appreciate your participation trophy mindset, but wish you’d be less cryptic with your messaging.

Football is entertainment. If it's not entertaining I'm not watching.
The only sporting events I watch regardless of entertainment value are those in which family is participating.
I'm an Iowa native, Iowa alum, with 2 kids who graduated from the U of I. That doesn't mean that I watch or spend money on whatever they throw out on the field.
There's no way I'm spending money to travel anywhere to watch this.

I was at the game and had a blast. My observations/takeaways.....

1) Spent the entire day with 3/4 of my boys joking, laughing, tailgating, and watching IOWA football
2) Beautiful weather and we spent the day outside
3) Visited 3 of the best tailgates I have ever been to. IOWA fans do it right
4) Spent a large chunk of the day with an old high school buddy and his family who have a son on the team. Great insight provided al look behind the scenes but enjoyed spending time with an old friend even more
5) While not sitting in our assigned seats discovered we were sitting next to an old Hawkeye Report buddy who also wasn't sitting in his assigned seat
6) Everything starts up front. Our OL is weak in every sense of the word. That is 100% on the coaching staff. They need to recruit and build strength better. Ditto for our WRs. Lousy routes. No separation. No size. No speed. Not defending our QB play but I do believe it would improve if OL/WR play improved too.
7) Kirk's philosophy of winning the 4th quarter equates to winning the game is predicated on playing mistake free football. The moment penalties and turnovers come into play, as they often do, we are doomed. It is why bad teams beat us and good teams beat us down. Rarely do we have the talent to overcome mistakes.
8) I think IOWA fans overrate the lure of playing for IOWA. This has existed for years and is not something new or unique to Kirk. Hayden used to say the hardest part of recruiting at IOWA was getting the kid on a plane to visit the first time. I think NIL and the portal will only exacerbate the difficulty we have bringing kids in for a visit.
9) See #8 for a head coach. IOWA fans are unrealistic about the lure of Iowa City as a destination and not a transfer situation to something bigger/better.
10) I am back at work today wishing I could go to another IOWA game tomorrow. The scoreboard of yesterday's game has had ZERO impact on my day today. Or tomorrow. Meanwhile the experience of having gone to the game makes me smile as I sit here. HAWKEYE football brings people together. Anyone moaning, groaning, bitching, or complaining chooses to feel that way.
11) It's great to be a HAWKEYE (women's basketball fan)!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT