ADVERTISEMENT

West Lafayette Weather Forecast

Sep 3, 2009
Looks like there is going to be 45 mph wind gusts during the game Saturday. I'd say this is in our favor with Purdue's style of play. We should just gameplan to run the ball as much as possible and let our defense do all the work. Which is not much different than normal, but I would not make Petras do very much with those conditions.

Except it was a couple years ago when Horvath averaged over 6 yards per carry against us and they’ve been successful running the ball in number of games this year (I think Mockabee averaged more than 10 yards per carry vs Minnesota). I do think a horribly windy day would be nice to help slow the passing game, but I hope our DL is equally nasty in stuffing the run!

Generally I would prefer Iowa to use their strengths over weaknesses. Running the ball, throwing to TEs, and once in a while a long throw down the sidelines. And a wheel route to the Kaleb, please!

When is Keagan J coming back?
It sure would be nice to get Keagan back for the last three games of the year. That way he can keep his redshirt and help us win games before (I believe) transferring out for next year (probably to Nebraska).

I do hope I’m wrong on that transfer part, but I’ll believe it when I see it. But regardless, it probably makes little sense for him to return and play five games vs waiting to play just four.

Blow wind blow ...

Bill Murray Weather GIF by reactionseditor

Partly cloudy with 100% chance of shitty Iowa offense followed by periods of good Iowa defense. Mostly cloudy overnight with a 90% chance of me bitching about a loss.
Nah, you don't have to worry too much about losing, because the staff (all of them) can't afford to lose to Purdue.

Reactions: frydaze
The problem with this idea is that Purdue's running defense is much better than their passing defense. They have only allowed one 100 yard runner so far this year (Wisconsin).

Purdue defense is 111th nationally in allowing 8.0 yards per attempt. Air Raid Petras is gonna tear them up, wind or no wind.

Reactions: hawkhockey
I’m not in agreement that this weather helps Iowa. It means Purdue can put all 11 defenders in the box and not even worry about Iowa passing (spoiler alert - they weren’t worrying regardless)

Looks like there is going to be 45 mph wind gusts during the game Saturday. I'd say this is in our favor with Purdue's style of play. We should just gameplan to run the ball as much as possible and let our defense do all the work. Which is not much different than normal, but I would not make Petras do very much with those conditions.
Wind shouldn’t bother our two yard passes much. Lol

Now way Purdue stops the Petras Party Freight Train. Spencer is going to have these guys begging for him to stop. Petras will prove to you all that once he gets it going...all he does is manufacture wins. Just get him the ball and get out of his way. It's Petras Time!

What was SP longest pass completion last week? Not talking YAK yards.
..I'm thinking 8 to 10 yards..

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
What was SP longest pass completion last week? Not talking YAK yards.
..I'm thinking 8 to 10 yards..
No...he threw a couple down the field...20-25 yards...one to Ragaini near the endzone...and another to maybe Ragaini also. Vines dropped a pass that was on the money...maybe 15-18 yards too. The pass was 40 yards because Petras threw a rope from the right hash to the left sideline. Both those long throws were pro throws by the way. I honestly thought that was impressive.

Generally I would prefer Iowa to use their strengths over weaknesses. Running the ball, throwing to TEs, and once in a while a long throw down the sidelines. And a wheel route to the Kaleb, please!

When is Keagan J coming back?
I think he is saving this year before transferring to Purdue

South wind, so it'll be blowing from end zone to end zone. Whoever gets the ball with the wind in the 4th will win

With that said BF will ramp SP up to 75 deep pass attempts into the wind.

• Haha
Reactions: bozotheclown
Slightly off topic. As as my wife and I are debating on whether to go to the game tomorrow(no pics), I notice this on the Nickelback video that is playing on my work computer.
Three questions....
Has this flag ever been talked about on this website?
Is this an omen that we should definitely go tomorrow?
Is it an omen telling me to give up on football this year, and look forward to basketball season?
My link didn't work. I suck at techie stuff. It's the Photograph video, with the string chicken semi-tigerhawk on the wall of the gym.

The worst of the wind is projected to happen during the game. Most of the rain earlier in the morning.

Should be a fun day to be in the stands.

Wind will be blowing into the open end of the stadium from the south, there will defintely be a head wind/tail wind situation, but the wind will probably be swirling in both directions, long passes and field goals might be almost impossible tomorrow

As well, we win the toss, elect to kickoff into the wind, and call all 3 time outs to try and ice the return man.

How’s their pass rush?
Purdue's D is tied for 56th nationally at 18 sacks on the season.
Iowa's D is tied for 34th with 21 sacks on the year, but let's not forget, a full 1/3 of our season total came last Saturday against a horrid Northwestern team.

In overall TFL, Iowa's D is tied for 32nd at 52 on the year, and Purdue is tied for 105th with 38 so far. So perhaps Purdue is generally better at getting after the QB specifically than they are at creating negative plays overall. While Iowa's D, at least statistically and from a national ranking perspective, is pretty consistent in both aspects. Not spectacular...but consistent.

That's the good news. Now for a dose of reality:
Iowa's OL is tied for 108th nationally in sacks allowed, with 24 given up, while Purdue's OL has given up 13, good for 41st place.

Purdue's D is tied for 56th nationally at 18 sacks on the season.
Iowa's D is tied for 34th with 21 sacks on the year, but let's not forget, a full 1/3 of our season total came last Saturday against a horrid Northwestern team.

In overall TFL, Iowa's D is tied for 32nd at 52 on the year, and Purdue is tied for 105th with 38 so far. So perhaps Purdue is generally better at getting after the QB specifically than they are at creating negative plays overall. While Iowa's D, at least statistically and from a national ranking perspective, is pretty consistent in both aspects. Not spectacular...but consistent.

That's the good news. Now for a dose of reality:
Iowa's OL is tied for 108th nationally in sacks allowed, with 24 given up, while Purdue's OL has given up 13, good for 41st place.
How many of those sacks allowed are when a D lineman brushes past Petras with one hand and he instinctively falls down on the spot?

South wind, so it'll be blowing from end zone to end zone. Whoever gets the ball with the wind in the 4th will win

Dont always bet on that. That situation usually works with fairly equally matched teams.

As a matter of fact, Purdue beat Iowa at Kinnick in 2017 on a very cold, very windy day. Winds were up to 40 mph.

And for some god unknown reason Kirk, with Purdue getting the 2nd half kickoff, gave Purdue the wind also. So Purdue was able to maximize their time with the wind and built an insurmountable lead.

I was griping loudly in the stands about Kirk's decision and so many people said "it will be ok because Iowa will have the wind in the 4th qtr". But I had noticed Brohm, late in the first half, had found the hawk weak spot which was a 2nd string cornerback, cant remember the name or who the starter was that got hurt. Purdue jumped all over the hawks for 2 TD passes, fairly long ones, and I think a field goal just in that qtr.

The hawks didnt have a big lead at halftime but if Kirk would have taken the wind in the 3rd and shut down Purdue on two possessions and the hawks scored it might have been 27-7 before Purdue got the wind.

Some of you may remember Kirk not going for a late 2 pt conversion in that game with the hawks trailing by 10 and kicking the PAT to stay behind by two scores with about 90 seconds to go.

That was a friggin head scratcher to me as you have to try for 2 pts to close their lead to 8 pts.

Some of you may remember Kirk not going for a late 2 pt conversion in that game with the hawks trailing by 10 and kicking the PAT to stay behind by two scores with about 90 seconds to go.

That was a friggin head scratcher to me as you have to try for 2 pts to close their lead to 8 pts.

That didn't happen. Iowa scored with 1:04 left to cut the score to 24-15. Iowa went for two and failed.

i
TD
1:04
Noah Fant 6 Yd pass from Nathan Stanley (Two-Point Pass Conversion Failed)
11 plays, 45 yards, 2:51

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT