ADVERTISEMENT

Western Illinois @ Iowa Baseball

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts Western Illinois in Iowa City at 6:30pm on Tuesday. Western Illinois is coached by former Iowa assistant Ryan Brownlee and former player Dusty Napoleon is an assistant. WIU only has a record of 9-19 on the year, but they have improved tons under Brownlee. They had 19 wins last year which was the most ever for a first year coach in their program.

Hopefully Iowa can keep the momentum going and get a midweek victory. Winning midweek games is always a nice bonus, but at this point the conference slate means more.

WIU has only played one mid-week game so far. They lost last week to D2 Illinois-Springfield. I think the bats woke up against NW and I think they can take down Brownlee's squad.

It looks like Iowa plans to start Blake Hickman on Tuesday night. I am hopeful that Blake can show more composure/control and not give up free bases like he did against Kansas. I think he can be pretty good when he doesn't walk so many guys.

WIU did lose to Illinois-Springfield in a midweek game, they also faced Louisville in a DH on a Tuesday in early March and lost 8-0 and 5-2 in those games.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
It looks like Iowa plans to start Blake Hickman on Tuesday night. I am hopeful that Blake can show more composure/control and not give up free bases like he did against Kansas. I think he can be pretty good when he doesn't walk so many guys.

WIU did lose to Illinois-Springfield in a midweek game, they also faced Louisville in a DH on a Tuesday in early March and lost 8-0 and 5-2 in those games.
Their Louisville series was part of their spring trip so it wasn't a true midweek in the true sense. It'll be interesting to see if they follow Hickman with Hedrick.

Wonder if Brownlee's squad will struggle offensively similarly to his Iowa hitters when he was here?

horrible loss. need more arms. and more, better arms.

will come in time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Iowa's bullpen is Jekyll/Hyde, but make no mistake errors cost Iowa the game. WIU had a huge fifth inning due to errors. I guess a bright side is that four errors was common under dahm. Not having martsching and Kaufman pitching really hurt. As bad of a loss as this was , Iowa is still 20-14, what were we? 12-19 at this time last year.

This was a season high in errors. Coach Heller says we are close to being a good team, but until the lapses in some games stop we will not be.

Like getting Hellers weekly email summary. Very in depth and give you a great feel for what's going on. If you're not getting it, email him at:

rick-heller@iowabaseball.com

He will put you on the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT