ADVERTISEMENT

Western Iowa town passes ordinance outlawing abortion within city limits

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Officials in a small western Iowa town voted unanimously Monday to outlaw abortion and abortion-inducing drugs within its city limits, according to the Carroll Times Herald.

Willey, a Carroll County town of about 100 people, is the first in Iowa and 49th in the nation to adopt an enforceable abortion ban, according to Mark Lee Dickson, director of Right to Life of East Texas and Founder of the Sanctuary Cities for the Unborn Initiative.

Dickson has been involved in helping to pass similar ordinances in dozens of Texas cities and at least two in Nebraska, USA Today has reported. He attended the meeting Monday in Willey along with about 30 others, the Carroll paper said.

“Cities like Willey fall into a pretty large group of America,” Dickson said Monday, according to the Times Herald. “I see Willey as just as much of a city as New York is.”

More:Here's what Iowa officials are saying about the possibility of Roe v. Wade being overturned

Willey's ordinance contradicts current federal law protected by Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that established a constitutional right to abortion. But a draft Supreme Court opinion published by Politico on Monday suggested the court is considering a decision that would overturn Roe.

More:Explosive leaked draft in abortion case reveals Supreme Court on verge of overturning Roe

The ordinance passed by the Willey City Council bans abortion and the delivery of abortion-inducing drugs. It did not ban contraceptives or the morning after emergency contraceptive pill.

Here's the City Council. Looks like a real high-functioning group :rolleyes:

1137d592-29d8-4aff-bfbf-c259907ba69b-willey_iowa_council.PNG

Willey ... wow.

When I was just a lil' shit I would ride with my Grandpa from Carroll, through Willey and to my Uncle's farm. Adventure awaited! Also, think I have some kin whiling away their corporeal eternity there.

Sigh. No matter what side you fall on, it's sad to see the country embroiled in such controversy.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Now I'm curious, are there any other groups of women you say that about? I'm speaking of being unattractive.
In the younger generation, I've noticed that many of the women/girls that get the craziest hair colors --- bright purple, orange, green, etc. -- tend to be fat and homely. My theory is they (mistakenly) believe the crazy hair will distract from their relative grossness.

I am aware, however, that anecdotal evidence does not equate to fact. But this is a working theory of mine.

In the younger generation, I've noticed that many of the women/girls that get the craziest hair colors --- bright purple, orange, green, etc. -- tend to be fat and homely. My theory is they (mistakenly) believe the crazy hair will distract from their relative grossness.

I am aware, however, that anecdotal evidence does not equate to fact. But this is a working theory of mine.
So, generally speaking of course, homely people are homely? And are given to crazy choices. Don't disagree, btw.

Otherwise, no social or political or other classes of women you find wholesale fugly?

I know you said many, but I lived next to a girl a year ago that I think the kids would call Emo. Always these gnarly hair colors, piercing, tats, etc. She was basically doing whatever she could to piss off her mom and it worked like a charm. Anyway, the girl was hot as hell. There is no point to this CSB and I have no pics, so meet me at Fight Bar-bershop if you fancy.

Careful, somebody’ll start arguing we need that level of representation in Congress…
Actually, they should increase the number of members of congress. It hasn't change in decades (or centuries), and the difference between the number of people represented by each congresssperson compared to when the House was established is staggering.

Actually, they should increase the number of members of congress. It hasn't change in decades (or centuries), and the difference between the number of people represented by each congresssperson compared to when the House was established is staggering.
Let’s split up the country instead.
There’s frankly already too many of them critters to keep track of. I can’t see any advantage in swelling their numbers. It’s also just that many more favors they’d have to create to feather their post-political career nests.

Middle aged Republican women in Iowa who all have the same haircut -- but that's a personal distaste.
That's it? LIAR!

But good defense with a lot of offense (putdowns). KF NEEDS an advance copy of Tuesdays with Torbee ... ... mmm, naaah.

Reactions: torbee
So many towns in Western Iowa remind me of The Wicker Man (1973) with a splash of Midsommar.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT