ADVERTISEMENT

Western Iowa town passes ordinance outlawing abortion within city limits

So mean everyone.

Despite my clearly stated fondness for Willey, born out of childhood innocence mind you, everyone continues to attack Willey. I say hands off this beleaguered burg. Free Willey!

(I know, long, long way to go for a corny line ... Ugh)

Officials in a small western Iowa town voted unanimously Monday to outlaw abortion and abortion-inducing drugs within its city limits, according to the Carroll Times Herald.

Willey, a Carroll County town of about 100 people, is the first in Iowa and 49th in the nation to adopt an enforceable abortion ban, according to Mark Lee Dickson, director of Right to Life of East Texas and Founder of the Sanctuary Cities for the Unborn Initiative.

Dickson has been involved in helping to pass similar ordinances in dozens of Texas cities and at least two in Nebraska, USA Today has reported. He attended the meeting Monday in Willey along with about 30 others, the Carroll paper said.

“Cities like Willey fall into a pretty large group of America,” Dickson said Monday, according to the Times Herald. “I see Willey as just as much of a city as New York is.”

More:Here's what Iowa officials are saying about the possibility of Roe v. Wade being overturned

Willey's ordinance contradicts current federal law protected by Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that established a constitutional right to abortion. But a draft Supreme Court opinion published by Politico on Monday suggested the court is considering a decision that would overturn Roe.

More:Explosive leaked draft in abortion case reveals Supreme Court on verge of overturning Roe

The ordinance passed by the Willey City Council bans abortion and the delivery of abortion-inducing drugs. It did not ban contraceptives or the morning after emergency contraceptive pill.

Kind of like Iowa City banning Nukes. A town without a clinic or even a store, banning anything medical....

ADVERTISEMENT