ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Cookin’?

There is some serious grubbing tonight. Well done and Bon Appetit, y’all. BTW, wifey’s salsa is bangin!

Reactions: Nipigu
Ran out of sun. Just burgers for the dogs and NY (126F) for me. The clams will wait until tomorrow.

zM8kyON.jpg

Q8MmH3j.jpg

mEwDmeW.jpg

<grillsnob>

You need to two zone reverse sear that strip. Come on man...

</grillsnob>

Reactions: Nipigu
<grillsnob>

You need to two zone reverse sear that strip. Come on man...

</grillsnob>

Lol...I know right? I put on the plate setter for indirect (ribs and pizza, etc). But steak and burgers I go with direct at 600F - 700F. I use an expander rack to create sufficient distance from the fire.

Made a polish kapusniak soup yesterday. I know it's more of a fall meal but my dad had given me some kielbasa he had made and had just picked up our first CSA of the year with and wanted to do something with the stuff we got. Was really good and it'll be even better today.

• 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
  • 6 ounces (175g) slab bacon, cut into 1/4- by 1/2-inch pieces
  • 12 ounces (350g) kielbasa or other smoked Polish sausage, split lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 6 ounces; 175g)
  • 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 ounces; 120g)
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into 1/2- to 1/4-inch shreds (about 12 ounces; 350g)
  • 8 ounces sauerkraut with juice (1 cup; 240ml)
  • 8 cups (1.9L) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) chopped fresh dill, stems reserved separately
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled, split in quarters lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 10 ounces; 280g)
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon (10g) cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons (8g) paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2g) freshly ground white pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • Fresh crusty bread, for serving
  1. Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add bacon and kielbasa and cook, stirring, until fat is rendering and bacon and sausage are browning in spots, about 5 minutes. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, until lightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut with its juice, chicken stock, bay leaves, dill stems, and potato. Season to taste with salt.

2. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a bare simmer and cook until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir together cornstarch, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) cold water and stir to form a slurry. Pour slurry into the soup and stir until evenly distributed. Return to a boil (soup should thicken very slightly). Season to taste with more salt and white pepper as desired. Stir in chopped dill and serve with bread.

Grilling a pork tenderloin with Korean bbq sauce and the usual sides for Korean bbq. Going to put the salmon on the smoker when the sun goes down for a cold smoke of 3-4 hours.

I like Korean bbq very much. I use Gochujang for pork chops on the grill. Poor picture but it’s all I had.

1f9oVbv.jpg

5xeqlu2.jpg

Made a polish kapusniak soup yesterday. I know it's more of a fall meal but my dad had given me some kielbasa he had made and had just picked up our first CSA of the year with and wanted to do something with the stuff we got. Was really good and it'll be even better today.

• 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
  • 6 ounces (175g) slab bacon, cut into 1/4- by 1/2-inch pieces
  • 12 ounces (350g) kielbasa or other smoked Polish sausage, split lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 6 ounces; 175g)
  • 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 ounces; 120g)
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into 1/2- to 1/4-inch shreds (about 12 ounces; 350g)
  • 8 ounces sauerkraut with juice (1 cup; 240ml)
  • 8 cups (1.9L) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) chopped fresh dill, stems reserved separately
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled, split in quarters lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 10 ounces; 280g)
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon (10g) cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons (8g) paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2g) freshly ground white pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • Fresh crusty bread, for serving
  1. Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add bacon and kielbasa and cook, stirring, until fat is rendering and bacon and sausage are browning in spots, about 5 minutes. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, until lightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut with its juice, chicken stock, bay leaves, dill stems, and potato. Season to taste with salt.

2. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a bare simmer and cook until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir together cornstarch, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) cold water and stir to form a slurry. Pour slurry into the soup and stir until evenly distributed. Return to a boil (soup should thicken very slightly). Season to taste with more salt and white pepper as desired. Stir in chopped dill and serve with bread.

Thank you; it sounds good. I could almost picture it.

Rain coming in 10 minutes and supposed to last two hours. All I have planned are a few pounds of clams....so off to go buy a few oysters to go with ‘em.

ADVERTISEMENT