ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the latest buzz on Luka and Joe W?

mazda1

HR All-American
Sep 22, 2015
Who have they worked out for and when are they expected to go in the draft?

I'd look for Joe to go late 1st-early 2nd, maybe pick 28 to 35. Luka mid-late 2nd, around 50-ish.

Just a gut based on various mock drafts.

Reactions: Moral
I'd look for Joe to go late 1st-early 2nd, maybe pick 28 to 35. Luka mid-late 2nd, around 50-ish.

That's about right based on what I've seen.

I think most teams can use a player like Joe Wieskamp - a shooter who can spread the floor, makes good decisions, and is athletic enough to turn into a good defender and run the court. I think this makes it very unlikely that he will slide out of the 40's.

Garza, on the other hand, could really be scheme specific, similar to and NFL team running a 3-4 or 4-3 defense and drafting DE's to fit. Except in this case I think there are only about 10 teams that might think Garza's game could fit them - maybe more now that he's shed weight and is a Stretch 5 rather than being a Paint Beast, so to speak. I think 50 is a good range to see him go, but still some chance of going undrafted if the few teams that he fits find others guys fall to them. His dedication to his sport and all his ++++ intangibles should get it done, though.

Still has to guard the screen and roll, so teams that are comfortable using the "zone up" scheme (where the big doesn't hedge but rather sags on the screen while the guard goes over the screen and pushes the guard inside the arc towards the big, who doesn't have to switch onto a guard and move his feet) may feel better about him.

This method is discussed below - different ways the NBA guards screen and roll.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/18/5601402/nba-pick-and-roll-defense-playoffs-2014

Last edited:
If they are both drafted that has to be a big recruiting plus for us. With Tyler Cook, that helps puts refute the claim that Fran can’t develop players for the NBA. And if Keegan blows up next year like we all hope and gets drafted, that’s pretty impressive for a developmental school.

If they are both drafted that has to be a big recruiting plus for us. With Tyler Cook, that helps puts refute the claim that Fran can’t develop players for the NBA. And if Keegan blows up next year like we all hope and gets drafted, that’s pretty impressive for a developmental school.
Add Marble and Uthoff as players Fran can sell as having developed into players that saw time in the NBA.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Quick scan of mocks had JW on 5/5 at selection 36-44 range. Not at all surprisingly the one that had player comparisons cited Duncan Robinson for JW.

Luka on 2/5 at pick 50 and 60.

That reasonably tracks with what one might expect. Strictly from the perspective of needs for a pro team it's much easier to see where JW's game can translate to the NBA than what LG might bring.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
From Seth Davis in the Athletic a week ago

Joe Wieskamp, 6-6 junior guard, Iowa.“He could be a smaller Duncan Robinson. He can really shoot it. He’s longer than you think. He’s a second-round pick, and I think he makes a rotation because he makes shots. Defensively he’s going to struggle. He’s not the toughest kid. Helped himself a lot in Chicago. Shot the ball well, tested well. Got a 6-11 wing span. I would take a chance on him. You wonder if he’s too mild-mannered.”

Luka Garza, 6-11 senior center, Iowa.“He’s a non-athlete and he knows it. Maybe the greatest interview I’ve ever had. He lost 30 pounds. Does that change his ability to rebound and push people off the block? He needs to be a lights-out shooter because all that shit he got away with in the Big Ten will be hard for him to do in our league. He did some workouts in Chicago and he shot the ball very well. All he does is produce. I can’t count him out. He’s not going to get the same usage in the NBA as he did in college, so his ability to do some of the high-motor stuff is going to be important. He has physical limitations defending pick-and-rolls.”

Mock draft saw last week both were late second

The day is finally here. Good Luck to Joe and Luka. You've worked all your life for this day. Hope there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for you both

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Both still on the board, 2 picks left in 1st round. Joe could very well go to Jazz here with last pick in 1st round.

I really think Wieskamp is a better player than Kispert. I’m obviously biased but I’ve been underwhelmed by Kispert every time I’ve seen him play

Organization is facing some turmoil and hasn't had much success in recent years, will be interesting to see how the come out of this.
I always got the feeling that they were counting on Kawhi to be “the guy” post-Duncan/Ginobli and haven’t been able to recover from his exit. Tried filling the void with DeRozan, but his best days are behind him

Don’t follow the Spurs too closely, but doesn’t seem like there’s been a ton of turnover on their executive team or coaching staff?

I always got the feeling that they were counting on Kawhi to be “the guy” post-Duncan/Ginobli and haven’t been able to recover from his exit. Tried filling the void with DeRozan, but his best days are behind him

Don’t follow the Spurs too closely, but doesn’t seem like there’s been a ton of turnover on their executive team or coaching staff?

Coaches: Messina left, Udoka left, Hardy left.

Front office has had a lot of turnover as well.

A little aggressive on Joe, just about spot on with Luka.

Great comments by the analysts for Luka. Go get 'em big guy.
Luka’s the guy to take a chance on late in the draft. Skilled player offensively, and will do whatever it takes to be great. Hope he balls out at the next level… and plays serviceable defense too

I look forward to NBA Summer League each year, moreso this year.

One of my favorite events each year....was better 10-12 years ago when it wasn't so crowded. I get passes each year now from a friend in the NBA so I can sit away from the common folk. Pistons play the Rockets at 8 PM CST on 8/10.

Reactions: SSG T
One of my favorite events each year....was better 10-12 years ago when it wasn't so crowded. I get passes each year now from a friend in the NBA so I can sit away from the common folk. Pistons play the Rockets at 8 PM CST on 8/10.

I love it for the same reason I loved PTL...off season basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT