ADVERTISEMENT

What’s you MiLB team?

Skeeters play in Sugar Land just outside Houston. It used to be an independent league. This is the first year being affiliated with the Astros. It’s a fun park to go to and there is a water park for the kids behind CF. The Hooks play at Whataburger Field and concessions are Whataburger — best minor league park

Reactions: LeonRussell
Isotopes.

They did do an alternate jersey a few years ago that was solid.

C94RyVwUMAEGQg8.jpg

Last edited:
Skeeters play in Sugar Land just outside Houston. It used to be an independent league. This is the first year being affiliated with the Astros. It’s a fun park to go to and there is a water park for the kids behind CF. The Hooks play at Whataburger Field and concessions are Whataburger — best minor league park
Nah, Whataburger Field just looks like a low-rent knock off of John O'Donnell Stadium(not calling it the sell out name) The Mississippi River, Centennial Bridge, and Ferris wheel take the win here.

1.jpg

vs.

805x537

Reactions: torbee
My local team is the AAA Gwinnett Stripers. It's nice enough. I usually try to get over there a few times a year or when they host the Buffalo Bisons.

There's an American Legion field within walking distance of my house that hosts a "league" of teams made up of college players home playing for the summer. Mostly low-mid level college players, but with some SEC and ACC kids mixed in. I was looking forward to taking in some games there last summer before Covid wiped out the season. Looking forward to walking down and taking in some baseball and beers a few times this summer.

This is the stadium I grew up going to watch the Buffalo Bisons, to which we had season tickets a few years. Long since torn down, but it's the stadium where they filmed The Natural. It was built in 1937, and the Bills played there as well until 1973. It was a dump, but that also meant it felt every bit of being in a ballpark built in the 1930s which was pretty special.

49139b756ef47ec0f42951ea5e9dacfd.jpg

My local team is the AAA Gwinnett Stripers. It's nice enough. I usually try to get over there a few times a year or when they host the Buffalo Bisons.

There's an American Legion field within walking distance of my house that hosts a "league" of teams made up of college players home playing for the summer. Mostly low-mid level college players, but with some SEC and ACC kids mixed in. I was looking forward to taking in some games there last summer before Covid wiped out the season. Looking forward to walking down and taking in some baseball and beers a few times this summer.

This is the stadium I grew up going to watch the Buffalo Bisons, to which we had season tickets a few years. Long since torn down, but it's the stadium where they filmed The Natural. It was built in 1937, and the Bills played there as well until 1973. It was a dump, but that also meant it felt every bit of being in a ballpark built in the 1930s which was pretty special.

Kinda huge stadium for a minor league team. What’s the capacity there?

I grew up going to Sam Lynn Ballpark in Bakersfield (also tried out for bat boy)...home of the Bakersfield Dodgers. Oldest stadium in the California League (built in 1941). It's only one of two stadiums that face west so the batter has to look at the setting sun.
main-qimg-f84103c9516aa27e8c82b1c8ffe4c1b2-c

Always thought Charlotte could be a good baseball city for a pro team.

Seems like they’re always floating around options 2-4 for future expansion/relocation. A lot of locals are Braves fans, but there are so many transplants that I think a new team would be supported.

They built the new stadium 6-8 years ago. It’s a gem, but one of the big controversies at the time was whether they’d build a minor league stadium or build a stadium that could be converted into a ML-level stadium. They opted for the minor league stadium, so if CLT gets a team, they’ll have to build something new somewhere. I always thought that was a short-sighted decision.

Reactions: srams21
Kinda huge stadium for a minor league team. What’s the capacity there?

Yeah, it was huge, it was a multi-sport general purpose stadium. The capacity was like 45k or something total for football. I'm not sure what the baseball capacity was, but they used to draw 6-7k in the 80s when I was going. But they'd have bigger crowds then that sometimes, especially when they'd have concerts after the game or something.

warmem802.jpg

Then in 1988 they opened Pilot Field, which was considered the best minor league stadium in the country for a long time. That had a capacity of 20k when it opened, and averaged about 16k per game for the first several years. I think they're down to about 8k a game now.

5ef3f974f3740.image.jpg

Go to quite a few I Cubs games but never care of they lose. When the Memphis Redbirds are in town I always cheer for them. Go Cards.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Yeah, it was huge, it was a multi-sport general purpose stadium. The capacity was like 45k or something total for football. I'm not sure what the baseball capacity was, but they used to draw 6-7k in the 80s when I was going. But they'd have bigger crowds then that sometimes, especially when they'd have concerts after the game or something.

warmem802.jpg

Then in 1988 they opened Pilot Field, which was considered the best minor league stadium in the country for a long time. That had a capacity of 20k when it opened, and averaged about 16k per game for the first several years. I think they're down to about 8k a game now.

5ef3f974f3740.image.jpg
Playing left field at the old place would have been interesting, lol. What is it, 520 feet to the left field wall?!

Seems like they’re always floating around options 2-4 for future expansion/relocation. A lot of locals are Braves fans, but there are so many transplants that I think a new team would be supported.

They built the new stadium 6-8 years ago. It’s a gem, but one of the big controversies at the time was whether they’d build a minor league stadium or build a stadium that could be converted into a ML-level stadium. They opted for the minor league stadium, so if CLT gets a team, they’ll have to build something new somewhere. I always thought that was a short-sighted decision.

Wow, that looks awesome. When we used to live in Charlotte we went to Knights games, but they were in Ft. Mill. That was a nice place to see a game, we'd sit in grass, if I remember right they didn't have seats past first base? We had toddlers, so they could just run around and eat ice cream. I think it was $2 on Tuesdays or something.

Playing left field at the old place would have been interesting, lol. What is it, 520 feet to the left field wall?!

LOL, that's what it looks like, doesn't it?

Wikipedia says the dimensions were:

Left field: 330 ft (100 m)
Left-center field: 362 ft (110 m)
Center field: 420 ft (130 m)
Right-center field: 333 ft (101 m)
Right field: 310 ft (94 m)
Backstop: 50 ft (15 m)

LOL, that's what it looks like, doesn't it?

Wikipedia says the dimensions were:

Left field: 330 ft (100 m)
Left-center field: 362 ft (110 m)
Center field: 420 ft (130 m)
Right-center field: 333 ft (101 m)
Right field: 310 ft (94 m)
Backstop: 50 ft (15 m)
I didn’t see the small curved wall at first. Thought you had to hit it all the way to the stands, lol.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Back in the day, John O'Donnell was the Sports Editor and
Columnist for what is now the Quad Cities Times newspaper.
One Summer day, my dad and I were golfing behind a foursome
which included O'Donnell on a local golf course. He was riding
in a golf cart & drinking beer between golf shots. Great guy.

Hitting the Kernels home opener tomorrow.

will be hitting a QC game early in june

ADVERTISEMENT