ADVERTISEMENT

What’s you MiLB team?

The Las Vegas Aviators.

But, it sounds as if my local team will be the Las Vegas Athletics!

My local team is the AAA Gwinnett Stripers. It's nice enough. I usually try to get over there a few times a year or when they host the Buffalo Bisons.

There's an American Legion field within walking distance of my house that hosts a "league" of teams made up of college players home playing for the summer. Mostly low-mid level college players, but with some SEC and ACC kids mixed in. I was looking forward to taking in some games there last summer before Covid wiped out the season. Looking forward to walking down and taking in some baseball and beers a few times this summer.

This is the stadium I grew up going to watch the Buffalo Bisons, to which we had season tickets a few years. Long since torn down, but it's the stadium where they filmed The Natural. It was built in 1937, and the Bills played there as well until 1973. It was a dump, but that also meant it felt every bit of being in a ballpark built in the 1930s which was pretty special.

49139b756ef47ec0f42951ea5e9dacfd.jpg
Except for the outfield seating, it looks a little like old Victory Field in Indianapolis, home of the Indianapolis Indians.

I got a neat book for Christmas last year called Lost Ballparks. It has not only old MLB stadiums but several minor league stadiums.

Amazon product ASIN 067083811X

Isotopes.

They did do an alternate jersey a few years ago that was solid.

C94RyVwUMAEGQg8.jpg
that's my team right there! A buddy of mine used to get season tickets near the first base dugout and we would heckle the shit out of the other teams. Our best one was when Larry Broadway was batting the bat flew out of his hands and we started chanting "K-Y Larry!" He started laughing.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
that's my team right there! A buddy of mine used to get season tickets near the first base dugout and we would heckle the shit out of the other teams. Our best one was when Larry Broadway was batting the bat flew out of his hands and we started chanting "K-Y Larry!" He started laughing.
In 19 I went to 8 games. We had a connection for box seats. With restrictions being lifted I will take the kids this fall.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
We had a blast at the bandits game last night. A few notes though.

they only had about half of the concessions and rides open. It made for some long lines. The drink and food options were limited too. I missed the philly cheese sandies.

they are cashless so we ended up giving the 15 kids we invited a $10 bandit bucks card for food. A number of times it wouldn’t scan so they just gave the kids the food for free.

they clearly have some bugs to work out but the staff seemed happy to be back and it was a perfect night for baseball.

vUTWW79.jpg

Clinton and Burlington both got hosed. Clinton replaced their affiliated team with a wood bat league team. Not sure about the Bees.

And yeah, it’s kinda horse-shitty.

Why is the mascot not some type of corn?
He's actually an ear of peeling corn with a baseball head...
IMG-5950.jpg

SUCK IT CrApids II, you still suck Boogaloo!

Dude. CR went 1-5 against QC after 5-1 to start the year. Especially ugly giving up a few one run losses there. Damn, Bandits! Guess its revenge for knocking you guys out in the playoffs both in 2015 and in the last season before Covid...

Last edited:
He's actually an ear of peeling corn with a baseball head...
IMG-5950.jpg

Dude. CR went 1-5 against QC after 5-1 to start the year. Especially ugly giving up a few one run losses there. Damn, Bandits! Guess its revenge for knocking you guys out a few seasons before Covid.

So the mascot is a humanoid figure with its face and scalp peeled down around its shoulders!?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT