ADVERTISEMENT

What a great job of coaching by Fran!!!!!

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Holy moly…..really thin as far as depth….terrible start, team just lost three in a row and they Were in a shooting slump.

Fran did an incredible job with substitutions, getting into his players when needed, jumping on the horrible officiating and getting their attention…..amazing IN GAME coaching!!!

Kris Murray….outstanding!
CMAC good strong performance!
Josh Dix surprisingly good defense and got the minutes!
Fran changes the lineup coming out of halftime and helps orchestrate the 3rd biggest comeback in Iowa basketball history according to the TV guys!

Last edited:
Yes! As usual, great use of timeouts and situational plays............... by Matt Painter. Night and day difference between watching the Purdue game earlier. Painter takes TOs at appropriate times and the team comes out with a specific play. Fran never wants to take a TO and luckily tonight his son called a TO in a critical situation. Even with his son saving him, Fran couldn't put together a situational play. Luckily they won, because Fran's behavior was over the top and Barta should step in after this circus.

The team wasnt ready early, but one hell of a comeback. This team had lost confidence with both Pryce and Perkins shooting. Hopefully this game ignites this team

Connor isn’t old enough to take credit for over 500 wins, so I wonder how Fran’s been able to survive and succeed as a coach?

Fran did an unbelievably good job getting this team up off the floor after that start….Sorry but Connor wasn’t in charge of substituting players or drawing up plays. He did play a hell of a game, just the way his dad taught him.

Holy moly…..really thin as far as depth….terrible start, team just lost three in a row and their in a shooting slump.

Fran did an incredible job with substitutions, getting into his players when needed, jumping on the horrible officiating and getting their attention…..amazing IN GAME coaching!!!

Fran changes the lineup coming out of halftime and helps orchestrate the 3rd biggest comeback in Iowa basketball history according to the TV guys!
Without Rebraca, Iowa gets blown out. All the rest of the points are solid. I’ll also add Sandfort. He saw some of the bottom of the net tonight, which could be huge.

Great win by the Hawks. As poorly as they have played lately, I actually predicted the win. Which is amazing in and of itself, because I'm usually wrong!

Holy moly…..really thin as far as depth….terrible start, team just lost three in a row and they Were in a shooting slump.

On individual game coaching basis, I didn't think it was one of Fran's better games. But that is really beside the point. His team fought and battled even after they could have quit down by 21. And showing fight and sticking with it is usually more important than individual game decisions.

The second half, Fran made huge mistake going 11 minutes without subbing at the start of the half. Then he put in Bowen, Ulis and Dix at one time. Bowen turned it over, then Iowa gave up a bucket and Fran panicked again by running Perkins, Connor and Sandfordt back into the game. While they were waiting at the scorer's bench, Iowa made 2 good plays with Ulis making a good pass to Dix for a 3 and then feeding Murray for a hoop. When Perkins and Connor came back in, neither guy had enough rest and Iowa immediately got toasted on defense. Just stick to your usual way of coaching with starting to sub 6-7 minutes into the second half and this doesn't happen. I also didn't like Fran going back to the man in the second half, Iowa couldn't guard Indiana in man, at all. And the two timeouts called on the possession under a minute to go, only to end up with Connor throwing up a guarded 30-footer will not go into the coaching hall of fame.

But his team fought and scrapped, and that shows the attitude he has instilled on the team. The team also fought and scrapped at PSU when down big in the second half. If they keep doing that and avoid any more crucial injuries, they will have some success. Is it enough to get them in the tournament? I have my doubts. The Eastern Illinois loss is one that is hard to get past.

Connor isn’t old enough to take credit for over 500 wins, so I wonder how Fran’s been able to survive and succeed as a coach?

Fran did an unbelievably good job getting this team up off the floor after that start….Sorry but Connor wasn’t in charge of substituting players or drawing up plays. He did play a hell of a game, just the way his dad taught him.
Some people just can't or won't give Fran any credit for anything. They'd rather bitch and moan.

My dad's aunt and uncle who went to Iowa and were big Hawkeye fans/supporters passed away this week 2 days apart (uncle from a broken heart). The funeral was yesterday and they even played the Iowa fight song. Pretty sure they helped with the comeback from up above!

I do. He has a meltdown in nearly every competitive game where he has to be restrained by assistants. Its ridiculous. Riding the officials is one thing....
Not condoning FM behavior, but 90% of coaches are out of control in games. It is very difficult for coaches given the apparent favoritism or incompetence that officials display on a regular basis.

Last edited:
His biggest accomplishment was not getting ejected. Looked like he was in line for multiple Ts.

Fran appears to be in more in control than most coaches, many of whom spend 90 percent of the game "working' the officials. However, when he goes off he appears unhinged and it doesn't always seem to be very calculated or timed well.

On individual game coaching basis, I didn't think it was one of Fran's better games. But that is really beside the point. His team fought and battled even after they could have quit down by 21. And showing fight and sticking with it is usually more important than individual game decisions.

The second half, Fran made huge mistake going 11 minutes without subbing at the start of the half. Then he put in Bowen, Ulis and Dix at one time. Bowen turned it over, then Iowa gave up a bucket and Fran panicked again by running Perkins, Connor and Sandfordt back into the game. While they were waiting at the scorer's bench, Iowa made 2 good plays with Ulis making a good pass to Dix for a 3 and then feeding Murray for a hoop. When Perkins and Connor came back in, neither guy had enough rest and Iowa immediately got toasted on defense. Just stick to your usual way of coaching with starting to sub 6-7 minutes into the second half and this doesn't happen. I also didn't like Fran going back to the man in the second half, Iowa couldn't guard Indiana in man, at all. And the two timeouts called on the possession under a minute to go, only to end up with Connor throwing up a guarded 30-footer will not go into the coaching hall of fame.

But his team fought and scrapped, and that shows the attitude he has instilled on the team. The team also fought and scrapped at PSU when down big in the second half. If they keep doing that and avoid any more crucial injuries, they will have some success. Is it enough to get them in the tournament? I have my doubts. The Eastern Illinois loss is one that is hard to get past.
Well put. I agree 100%. I was thinking the same exact thing when he subbed in the 2nd half around the 8min mark. Why wait so long? Imo he should’ve started subbing 1 guy at a time much sooner. Instead he waits and does 3 guys at once.
Also, and a little off topic, but i think that in the long run playing perkins at the 1, at least in extended minutes, instead of Bowen is going to be a detriment. IMO, Bowen should have started from day 1. He would be a much more impactful player by now if he built up some experience early in the schedule. We ALL knew what Ulis was b4 the season started, solid defender with 0 offensive game besides not turning it over much.

I pretty much agree with this.

This is a very good post. On the bad coaching side Fran's T in the first half was horrible timing. He also got T'd up late in the game but the official decided to not follow through with the T. His end game antics nearly cost his team. There's no defense for him possibly getting a T that late in a game when one shot was going to decide that game.

I thought Frans best coaching move was forced somewhat by the shorter bench. If Pmac was playing, Kris likely sits after picking up his 3rd foul 4 minutes into the second half. As it was Fran left him in there and he was dynamite. Had Kris not played 40 minutes last night Iowa likely loses that game.

I thought Frans best coaching move was forced somewhat by the shorter bench. If Pmac was playing, Kris likely sits after picking up his 3rd foul 4 minutes into the second half. As it was Fran left him in there and he was dynamite. Had Kris not played 40 minutes last night Iowa likely loses that game.
Yep, shorter bench helps in this regard

Fran going off on the players in the first half seemed to help as well. They were not into the game.

The fact that Iowa had no time outs at the end of the game is a good sign

21 point comeback and people are bitching about coaching. Fran uses Ts to motivate his team. His fire is what got the team going and back in the game. You may not like the method (personally, I love it) but you can’t argue with the results.

I think it's easy to criticize coaching based on what the results end up making something look like...and so I'm hesitant to do that with either Fran, Kirk, or even BF because of the factors that go into how those decisions are executed and how the opposition responds....that said, I think this is a valid criticism. My guess, based on Fran's past practices, is that he would have sat Kris had it not been for the depth and the game situation. Simply put, I agree with you.

That said, this is response here is a lead in to what I am going to respond to the above posters.

I think it's easy to criticize coaching based on what the results end up making something look like...and so I'm hesitant to do that with either Fran, Kirk, or even BF because of the factors that go into how those decisions are executed and how the opposition responds....that said, I think this is a valid criticism. My guess, based on Fran's past practices, is that he would have sat Kris had it not been for the depth and the game situation. Simply put, I agree with you.

That said, this is response here is a lead in to what I am going to respond to the above posters.
True, Kris playing 40 minutes is not ideal. That will wear on a player as the season progresses

Reactions: perryhawk
FM needs to do more single situational substitutions and not line changes (3 to 5 players) unless the whole team is not playing well. The line changes disrupt the entire flow of the game and most of the time do not work to Iowa's advantage. IMO FM tends to be way to "stick to the plan" on player changes.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

So, even though I have a different perspective I think this is a good post and makes for good discussion. Here's what I mean by that:

I do think it was a really well coached game by Fran. But here's some clarity to address some points that you made. "His team fought and battled even after they could have quit down by 21. And showing fight and sticking with it is usually more important than individual game decisions." That might not be "in game coaching" but having a team that fought and battled even after they could have quit...is part of his good coaching. I remember a post on this board not to long ago that was titled something like, "When did Fran lose this team"......obviously he hasn't, through some pretty tough times.

Then, I get your points about not subbing until the 11 minute mark, who he put in, who he pulled out, and when he did those things. I think that first you have to give the coach (any coach) some credit for knowing their team in a way that we don't. I think it's also easy to be critical of those moves when the results aren't what we hoped AND in forgetting that the opposition has something to say about it as well. Fran was in the process of trying to orchestrate the 3rd largest comeback in school history....and there's decades of history.

The change up in going back to man after the zone was being so successful. As a fan I was stunned, depressed, wanting to throw things at the TV during the start to the game where Indiana just ate our defense alive.......it was horrible. So I get what you are saying. But I also understand that Fran and his staff see the game/players/matchups and fine details at an exponentially higher level than any of us fans do....so, when he makes that switch (that looks like a bad move to me) it is most likely because he/they see or know something that we don't.....then when it doesn't work out it's easy for us fans to go, "My god, why would you switch to man defense now"......well, it might be that the opponent has something to do with the results OR that our own guys didn't execute the changes that they talked about at halftime, OR that Indiana was still able to get the matchups they wanted in spite of some minor change that we implemented.

I could mention more but I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

So, even though I have a different perspective I think this is a good post and makes for good discussion. Here's what I mean by that:

I do think it was a really well coached game by Fran. But here's some clarity to address some points that you made. "His team fought and battled even after they could have quit down by 21. And showing fight and sticking with it is usually more important than individual game decisions." That might not be "in game coaching" but having a team that fought and battled even after they could have quit...is part of his good coaching. I remember a post on this board not to long ago that was titled something like, "When did Fran lose this team"......obviously he hasn't, through some pretty tough times.

Then, I get your points about not subbing until the 11 minute mark, who he put in, who he pulled out, and when he did those things. I think that first you have to give the coach (any coach) some credit for knowing their team in a way that we don't. I think it's also easy to be critical of those moves when the results aren't what we hoped AND in forgetting that the opposition has something to say about it as well. Fran was in the process of trying to orchestrate the 3rd largest comeback in school history....and there's decades of history.

The change up in going back to man after the zone was being so successful. As a fan I was stunned, depressed, wanting to throw things at the TV during the start to the game where Indiana just ate our defense alive.......it was horrible. So I get what you are saying. But I also understand that Fran and his staff see the game/players/matchups and fine details at an exponentially higher level than any of us fans do....so, when he makes that switch (that looks like a bad move to me) it is most likely because he/they see or know something that we don't.....then when it doesn't work out it's easy for us fans to go, "My god, why would you switch to man defense now"......well, it might be that the opponent has something to do with the results OR that our own guys didn't execute the changes that they talked about at halftime, OR that Indiana was still able to get the matchups they wanted in spite of some minor change that we implemented.

I could mention more but I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
Yeah Perry appreciate I can always disagree with you and it's civil and in good faith. We both want the same thing, for Iowa to be as good as possible. I'm sure I'd enjoy watching a game at CHA or at the local watering hole with you.

This is a very good post. On the bad coaching side Fran's T in the first half was horrible timing. He also got T'd up late in the game but the official decided to not follow through with the T. His end game antics nearly cost his team. There's no defense for him possibly getting a T that late in a game when one shot was going to decide that game.
Went back and watched the entire scenario with Fran and the assistant in the second half. It appears that the ref gives a T to first the IU assistant and then to Fran. Then he gathered with the other refs and waived both off. Much to Iowa's benefit as it would have been Fran's second.

I thought Fran's T in the first half was purposeful, he thought Iowa was getting jobbed and wanted to do something about it. The second half just appears he is not in control and it nearly cost him.

I thought Fran's T in the first half was purposeful, he thought Iowa was getting jobbed and wanted to do something about it. The second half just appears he is not in control and it nearly cost him.
You don't get T'd up when your teams in the middle of a 7-0 run and the crowd is really energized.

I do. He has a meltdown in nearly every competitive game where he has to be restrained by assistants. Its ridiculous. Riding the officials is one thing....
No I don't think you really do pay attention. Hell, watch Bluder get all over the officials. Just because Fran gets all red in the face doesn't mean he's any more out of control than the vast majority of coaches out there. You choosing words like "meltdown nearly every competitive game" doesn't help your stance being objective. It's just not true.

No I don't think you really do pay attention. Hell, watch Bluder get all over the officials. Just because Fran gets all red in the face doesn't mean he's any more out of control than the vast majority of coaches out there. You choosing words like "meltdown nearly every competitive game" doesn't help your stance being objective. It's just not true.

Bluder and Tom Izzo need to be restrained by their assistants in nearly every competitive game? Really?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT