ADVERTISEMENT

What a mess!

kcgolfer

HR Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Wow. This is just beyond bad.

This team does not have the desire and mental makeup to play defense. The question is, is it the players or Fran? Is he teaching them the right things and they just aren't getting it, or, is he not teaching them how to play defense? It's pretty sad when you have to score 90 to have a chance to win.

I used to think we were a point guard away from being a very good team, but I have changed my mind. We are multiple athletes with an attitude away from being a good team.

Fran's recruiting and coaching have to be questioned at this point.

Getting tired of seeing breakaway dunks while the hawks are barely jogging down the floor, have some pride and fight , sprint down the floor hack the mofo and make the opposing player earn those points.
Totally agree. We have like 20 fouls to give at the five and we just give them layups and dunks. Beyond frustrating.

Guys, Fran is a one trick pony. He has only had success at Sienna. His coaching record is 3 years at Lehigh and then back as an assistant for many years at Notre Dame with Digger who was more concerned with how he dressed than how he coached. He wasn't regarded as a great coach.
Then Fran went to NC Greensboro for 6 years where his record was 90 and 87. Then he went to Sienna (a lateral move) where he coached for 5 years and was successful in a league far from being Big 10 level. Then our genius AD hires him and since he's not Licklighter we are all ecstatic. Now after 8 years we are seeing he has no staying power and is out of ideas. His coaching record is not up to Big 10 standards. He would be ranked in the bottom 3rd of coaches by everyone but some Iowa fans.
It's time to pull the plug and let Barta know it's time for him and Fran to go.
Tonights game, like most this season was a real shit show.

Totally agree. We have like 20 fouls to give at the five and we just give them layups and dunks. Beyond frustrating.
Yup.
I've made this point previously.
Garza, Nunge, Kreiner, Pemsl, Wagner. That's 25 fouls that could be used in the paint. Wouldn't matter if any of them, check even three of the five, fouled out in any given game.
No need to be thugs. But if an opposing guard drives into the lane, knock him on his ass.

Couldnt agree more. Platoon subbing with a half ass press and zero threat in transition ( even though they push the ball up court for some reason) - the least you could do is have those kids give fouls and be aggressive.

Yup.
I've made this point previously.
Garza, Nunge, Kreiner, Pemsl, Wagner. That's 25 fouls that could be used in the paint. Wouldn't matter if any of them, check even three of the five, fouled out in any given game.
No need to be thugs. But if an opposing guard drives into the lane, knock him on his ass.

Lol, go back and watch the play where Sanders dunks all over where Garzas dumb ass should have stayed and acted like a real basketball player.

Garzas dumb ass should have clobbered that bitch but instead he embarrassed Iowa by stepping aside.

My god, dont ever let that happen to you.

Its Frans fault for playing him though.

Garaza needs to watch Bill Lambeer videos in the off season. Because thats who he needs to be.

Last edited:
Guys, Fran is a one trick pony. He has only had success at Sienna. His coaching record is 3 years at Lehigh and then back as an assistant for many years at Notre Dame with Digger who was more concerned with how he dressed than how he coached. He wasn't regarded as a great coach.
Then Fran went to NC Greensboro for 6 years where his record was 90 and 87. Then he went to Sienna (a lateral move) where he coached for 5 years and was successful in a league far from being Big 10 level. Then our genius AD hires him and since he's not Licklighter we are all ecstatic. Now after 8 years we are seeing he has no staying power and is out of ideas. His coaching record is not up to Big 10 standards. He would be ranked in the bottom 3rd of coaches by everyone but some Iowa fans.
It's time to pull the plug and let Barta know it's time for him and Fran to go.
Tonights game, like most this season was a real shit show.

Iowa fans need to realize that we get mediocre coaches because we have a shitty fanbase and mediocre program. What exactly are you expecting? There’s a reason that a half dozen people pass on the job before we hire someone.

Look in the ****ing mirror. We don’t deserve a good basketball program.

Reactions: IowaAJ34
Iowa fans need to realize that we get mediocre coaches because we have a shitty fanbase and mediocre program. What exactly are you expecting? There’s a reason that a half dozen people pass on the job before we hire someone.

Show me one place where fan support came before winning. Then show me a dozen more before I will even consider taking it seriously.

Playing defense is as much about attitude as it is strategy/technique/etc.

From the few comments Fran has offered when asked about the defense, it is painstakingly obvious defense is an afterthought to him. If the head coach doesn't give a f#!k, why should the kids?
This^. For the life of me, I can't figure out why he doesn't recruit better pure defenders, with as little emphasis as he puts on coaching defense. If you're gonna ignore coaching defense, do yourself a favor and recruit man to man defenders and turn them loose. Then spend all of your time coaching them offense. The end result would be much better.

Last edited:

You’re just being dumb. Iowa fans aren’t blind. They see poor coaching and very little effort from the players. This isn’t a no child left behind scenario. Put a better product on the floor and they’ll show up.

Maybe bringing in his kids is messing it all up even worse. The teams haven't been great in past years but showed signs of being good at times. Not 1 player on this team acts like they care. C Williams saw the writing on the wall.

Maybe bringing in his kids is messing it all up even worse. The teams haven't been great in past years but showed signs of being good at times. Not 1 player on this team acts like they care. C Williams saw the writing on the wall.
Williams needed hip surgery, good god.

Reactions: And1Hawk

I think the lackluster fan base is a result of a lackluster effort by Fran and Fran's teams. I'm not a "fire the coach" guy, but I am starting to lean towards that faction of the fan base. Their effort and scheme is not getting better. It might be time.

I think the lackluster fan base is a result of a lackluster effort by Fran and Fran's teams. I'm not a "fire the coach" guy, but I am starting to lean towards that faction of the fan base. Their effort and scheme is not getting better. It might be time.

Its certainly possible. If we are going to make a change, do it now instead of after next year. Too many good kids in Iowa in 2019-2020, new coach needs time to build relationships.

Reactions: RocknRollface

This team does not have the desire and mental makeup to play defense. The question is, is it the players or Fran? Is he teaching them the right things and they just aren't getting it, or, is he not teaching them how to play defense? It's pretty sad when you have to score 90 to have a chance to win.

I used to think we were a point guard away from being a very good team, but I have changed my mind. We are multiple athletes with an attitude away from being a good team.

Hey he has ONLY been there eight years.

Anyone that continues to pay to watch this team is NOT a shitty fan.

Reactions: JAMAM
With LIckliter, I was happy to seem him go after 3 years because he didn't have a clue.

With Fran we saw that he knew how to improve a program right away, and also his system played a more exciting brand of B-ball. However, I think B1G coaches know his system now and how to beat it and Fran really needs to adjust to the realities of college b-ball---it is a guard game now and you have to play defense.

I don't think he has the personality to be self critical---so he will get himself fired due to W-L record.

well I would agree with that at this particular point. Our defensive intensity is horrible our rebounding is not aggressive at all. A point guard is a shooting guard. Or shooting guard is I have no idea why.

Well from the Viewpoint of a average fan that has been watching and playing basketball for 50-some years. We don't aggressively hit the boards at least not on a consistent basis. We also play defense the same way very little aggressiveness certainly not on a consistent basis. I think Baer would be more effective coming off the bench Iproviding a spark and at least somewhat of a scoring threat. When we had those second 5 in there it was hard to watch. Cordell pemsl is not quick enough to get out to the corner 2 guard that three point shot he's consistently late. He also is no threat even to shoot a medium-range jump shot he gets the ball and 9 times out of 10 turns his back and starts back in his player in. Jordan Bohannon every time he makes a turn over he pouts and stands there and watches people run by them, it is so aggravating to see that. And one last thing I would certainly like to see the guys pass the ball without taking to dribbles or 3 dribbles everytime it allows the defense to get set and doesn't make them work. Drives me crazy to see those guards standing out there dribbling the ball well I'm glad I got that off my chest.Other than that we're great.

Reactions: Hammer93
I have been a pretty big fan and supporter of Fran from the beginning and up until this year I felt he was still mostly on the right track. Seeing our performance and lack of hustle and talent this year is making me question his future here.

Same boat, I was arguing pro Fran up until a month ago but this just isnt going anywhere positive.

Hes recruited to many guys that are bad at defense.

You cant win that way and the roster is full of them.

Reactions: Mcbooger
This^. For the life of me, I can't figure out why he doesn't recruit better pure defenders, with as little emphasis as he puts on coaching defense. If you're gonna ignore coaching defense, do yourself a favor and recruit man to man defenders and turn them lose. Then spend all of your time coaching them offense. The end result would be much better.

This zone defense is the worst I've ever seen. They spend more time switching who they're guarding then actually guarding someone. When the other team passes the ball, we send two guys to guard him which opens up at least one guy to shoot a three.

Fran needs to be fired NOW. Not at the end of the year. Have one of the assistants coach and see if they can create any type of team atmosphere. These kids can't be having fun at this point.

Well from the Viewpoint of a average fan that has been watching and playing basketball for 50-some years. We don't aggressively hit the boards at least not on a consistent basis. We also play defense the same way very little aggressiveness certainly not on a consistent basis. I think Baer would be more effective coming off the bench Iproviding a spark and at least somewhat of a scoring threat. When we had those second 5 in there it was hard to watch. Cordell pemsl is not quick enough to get out to the corner 2 guard that three point shot he's consistently late. He also is no threat even to shoot a medium-range jump shot he gets the ball and 9 times out of 10 turns his back and starts back in his player in. Jordan Bohannon every time he makes a turn over he pouts and stands there and watches people run by them, it is so aggravating to see that. And one last thing I would certainly like to see the guys pass the ball without taking to dribbles or 3 dribbles everytime it allows the defense to get set and doesn't make them work. Drives me crazy to see those guards standing out there dribbling the ball well I'm glad I got that off my chest.Other than that we're great.
100% spot on about the dribbling. Unfortunately, that's the nature of undisciplined players in this type of offense.
It's also exacerbated by the minutes distribution. Every player that comes into the game feels like they have to make a difference in the scoring column. Since Fran doesn't value or coach defense, they have no reason to believe anything else. And it will almost always lead to a high number of turnovers.

For me it's kind of similar and eerie how Fran is in same position Alford was in towards the end but maybe worse. Both had a strong senior class Horner, Bru, Hansen etc. compared with Uthoff, Woody, Gesell, Clemmons. After that year each was left with that great scoring senior with Haluska & Jok and had a great freshman with Tyler Smith & Cook. Each had the 2 classes in between where they weren't really strong and it hurt them big time. On top of those 2 classes each had one that bombed greatly. Reminds of year Alford brough in JR Angle, Carlton Reed, Alex Thompson & Seth Gorney just as bad as the class of Uhl, Ellingson and Trey Dickerson. Alfrod left town and left Lick with the mess and now Fran is struggling big time.

As discussed greatly Fran messed up by last year and for next year not getting a PG or someone in the back court. By him bringing in Connor he felt like he had his guard but see him more as a combo guard and instead of Nunge with our loaded front court we didn't take another back court player. Now with next year think issue would be addressed and with offer another Ellingson/Oglesby clone with Fredrick. I just don't understand Fran's roster construction last few years.

For me it's kind of similar and eerie how Fran is in same position Alford was in towards the end but maybe worse. Both had a strong senior class Horner, Bru, Hansen etc. compared with Uthoff, Woody, Gesell, Clemmons. After that year each was left with that great scoring senior with Haluska & Jok and had a great freshman with Tyler Smith & Cook. Each had the 2 classes in between where they weren't really strong and it hurt them big time. On top of those 2 classes each had one that bombed greatly. Reminds of year Alford brough in JR Angle, Carlton Reed, Alex Thompson & Seth Gorney just as bad as the class of Uhl, Ellingson and Trey Dickerson. Alfrod left town and left Lick with the mess and now Fran is struggling big time.

As discussed greatly Fran messed up by last year and for next year not getting a PG or someone in the back court. By him bringing in Connor he felt like he had his guard but see him more as a combo guard and instead of Nunge with our loaded front court we didn't take another back court player. Now with next year think issue would be addressed and with offer another Ellingson/Oglesby clone with Fredrick. I just don't understand Fran's roster construction last few years.
Good observation. It is very similar.

The parallels with Alford are there on recruiting/record. Alford to his credit did to a partial reset by getting rid of his Dad as an assistant and Bringing in Neal....Fran needs to do a reset and start prepping for some serious spring recruiting.....

Unathletic and undisciplined is a bad combo. The former is recruiting and development, the latter is coaching.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Last edited:
The Lickliter hire was not all on Barta. There was a committee established if memory serves and I believe BJ and some other prominent folks were on it. Not a Barta fan, but he is not responsible for Fran's too numerous to mention recruiting misses. Fran chose to not do the smart thing by capitalizing on the Olaseni get by getting more guys from Sunrise CC and leveraging other relationships at the prep school / juco level. Iowa needs a pipeline to have a couple of these guys in the mix every year. Not a an entire team, but a Cy Tate, Evans, Johnson, Val Barnes, yes, even a Bryce Cartwright would be a welcome addition.

The Lickliter hire was not all on Barta. There was a committee established if memory serves and I believe BJ and some other prominent folks were on it. Not a Barta fan, but he is not responsible for Fran's too numerous to mention recruiting misses. Fran chose to not do the smart thing by capitalizing on the Olaseni get by getting more guys from Sunrise CC and leveraging other relationships at the prep school / juco level. Iowa needs a pipeline to have a couple of these guys in the mix every year. Not a an entire team, but a Cy Tate, Evans, Johnson, Val Barnes, yes, even a Bryce Cartwright would be a welcome addition.
Thats fair enough, but I'm still not too fuzzy with Barta doing much besides raising $$$$$$$.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT