ADVERTISEMENT

What about your football career? Time is ticking...⏰

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
this should give us more to talk about...:rolleyes:

Kelvin Bell @CoachK_BellWhat about your football career? Time is ticking...
23f0.png
1f440.png
https://twitter.com/ahmad_wagner/status/887133390985723906 …

Reactions: ChrisVarick
Iowa is a basketball school. Maybe we oughta take a look at some football guys to walkon?

Reactions: unIowa
I wonder what Fran and staff think about this tweet from Coach Bell?

I know what I think of it. IF Bell was being serious, he should be ashamed that the coaching staff he is on apparently has to hope basketball players will switch sports. I'm probably in a unique position since I'm not a fan of football...I mean wearing a dead players number on helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him? That's about par for the mind set it takes to enjoy the sport.

And I like the skills Wagner showed in his latest effort. I'd hate to see that talent beaten out of his head.

I'm sure I'll be very popular for expressing these thoughts. :cool: Oh well.

in the end...its Ahmad choice of anything he does in the future. Obviously he likes BB better than FB thus the reason he made the choice he did when he committed.

I'm dont think Bell is serious...if he is or was...I dont think neither HC would be happy with him. I think the twitter was more of a compliment to AH as an athlete and more so as being a good guy.

...so here is another joke (actually its not).....hey Bell you can't have him ;)

Last edited:
in the end...its Ahmad choice of anything he does in the future. Obviously he likes BB better than FB thus the reason he made the choice he did when he committed.

I'm dont think Bell is serious...if he is or was...I dont think neither HC would be happy with him. I think the twitter was more of a compliment to AH as an athlete and more so as a good guy.

...so here is another joke (actually its not).....hey Bell you can't have him ;)

I'm guessing it's facetious too. With a little hint of "But, if you have a notion to, perhaps we could chat for a bit..."

Reactions: perryhawk
we should start a rumor the clock is ticking for a FB player crossing over to BB.
anyone have a player suggestion?
:cool:

AJ Epenesa played AAU ball, as I recall with Cook. 6'7" 270lb Frosh. There's our forwards whenever Fran feels like making a point without getting a technical.

I wonder what Fran and staff think about this tweet from Coach Bell?

I would be way more interested in what Ferentz thinks.

This is the most unFerentz move of all time and I love it.

KF cant stand the thought of twitter in general.

this should give us more to talk about...:rolleyes:

Kelvin Bell @CoachK_BellWhat about your football career? Time is ticking...
23f0.png
1f440.png
https://twitter.com/ahmad_wagner/status/887133390985723906 …

Wagners's full tweet and Bell's response to it is below. Of course, the media saw this and retweeted it.

Lets face it; Fran hates twitter, but he allows his players and even his sons on it. Apparently Margaret monitors their kids' social media, just in case somebody says something inappropriate.

I bet Fran gives KF a call and asks if Bell's reply was really necessary, because guess what, this is drama (is there a better word?) that Fran hates and does not want circling his program. There is all this talk about playing time and if Wagner's playing time will be decreased this year and now Bell replies to Wagner and says time is ticking on his football career?

It's interesting that Bell is (1) our recruiting coordinator; (2) he follows Wagner on Twitter; (3) he still thinks he can get Wagner on the football team and (4) he thinks this is an appropriate response to Wagner's tweet

Again, was it necessary? I bet Fran would say it was not. Just my opinion.

At the bottom of what follows is Ahmad's tweet, followed by Bell's response, followed by the retweets by media members.

Chad Leistikow and 7 others Retweeted

Kelvin Bell‏@CoachK_Bell 13h13 hours ago
Kelvin Bell Retweeted Ahmad Wagner

What about your football career? Time is ticking...
23f0.png
1f440.png

Kelvin Bell added,

Ahmad Wagner@Ahmad_Wagner
And my career in narration has begun lol #FightForIowa
13 replies52 retweets337 likes

Reactions: mtown66
I know what I think of it. IF Bell was being serious, he should be ashamed that the coaching staff he is on apparently has to hope basketball players will switch sports. I'm probably in a unique position since I'm not a fan of football...I mean wearing a dead players number on helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him? That's about par for the mind set it takes to enjoy the sport.

And I like the skills Wagner showed in his latest effort. I'd hate to see that talent beaten out of his head.

I'm sure I'll be very popular for expressing these thoughts. :cool: Oh well.

Dan, some questions for ya: Were you born in Iowa? Have you lived your whole life in Iowa? Just wondering how you never became an Iowa football fan.

As you will see in my post above, I think Bell's response was inappropriate. Didn't Ahmad make it clear he was coming to Iowa to only play basketball? If so, why is our recruiting coordinator wasting time following Ahmad and sending messages to him on Twitter, where everybody can see, and then of course the media gets ahold of it, and I don't think Fran will be amused at all.

When you mentioned wearing a dead players number on the helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him, that made me stop and think. Yikes. #9 died from complications from the very helmet that could not protect his brain.

I am glad we are talking again. I hope people don't come after you because of an opinion you expressed, just like I hope people don't come after me. We may disagree on what we see or interpret, but we can state our disagreements and be be cordial at the same time.

My opinion is that Fran won't be assumed by the tweet; I could be wrong, obviously. But that's what opinions are all about; they are not facts until proven otherwise.

um....we dont have enough PT for the ones we have ;) ... but I get your meaning.

I am thinking of walking on so if our players get into foul trouble, and if the game is on the line at the end, and the opposition needs to get fouled to stop the clock, Fran can put me in to give a hard foul; then I hope he leaves me in, but I would assume he would pull me right away

Dan, some questions for ya: Were you born in Iowa? Have you lived your whole life in Iowa? Just wondering how you never became an Iowa football fan.

As you will see in my post above, I think Bell's response was inappropriate. Didn't Ahmad make it clear he was coming to Iowa to only play basketball? If so, why is our recruiting coordinator wasting time following Ahmad and sending messages to him on Twitter, where everybody can see, and then of course the media gets ahold of it, and I don't think Fran will be amused at all.

When you mentioned wearing a dead players number on the helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him, that made me stop and think. Yikes. #9 died from complications from the very helmet that could not protect his brain.

I am glad we are talking again. I hope people don't come after you because of an opinion you expressed, just like I hope people don't come after me. We may disagree on what we see or interpret, but we can state our disagreements and be be cordial at the same time.

My opinion is that Fran won't be assumed by the tweet; I could be wrong, obviously. But that's what opinions are all about; they are not facts until proven otherwise.

I was born and raised in Iowa and was an Iowa Hawkeye football fan. But as injuries became so common and I learned about how many former pros were practically crippled, it began to wear on my enjoyment of the game. And believe me, I was a rough and tumble youth and though I enjoyed working and getting paid so much that I skipped most sports...I loved sandlot tackle football and got as rough as anybody and worst than most.

Then the stuff about head injuries started coming out. I already felt like I was watching Roman Gladiators, and was conflicted about it. Now, then...some years ago, I was finding myself more worried about who was going to get a concussion than I was who was gaining yardage.

So, I'm not anti-Hawkeye football...I just can't watch the game with any comfort level anymore.

Not telling anyone else what to do and I'm grateful I actually got a few likes and nobody jumped down my throat. Not trying to change anything...just not into football anymore. I appreciate the efforts to protect guys...maybe someday it'll be reasonably safe for young men to play again.

agree with Dan...with the exception I still watch & follow. Love Kirk Ferentz as our coach. I understand the Tyler Sash # on the helmet but it was more to honor his memory just as we did with Roy Marble initials on our player jersey,

without doubt football is one brutal game...thus I laugh at people who second guess players...like any of us could run into 300lb of muscle (on purpose)...I;d run alright...like the other way.

I love this board. OT concussions but Wagner v football...why do I think his mom has a lot to say about this. Use to play football in the yard every Thanksgiving. Until. Spent all day in the hospital. I was ok but a certain family member concussed. Got home all 30 40 50 us...Thanksgiving has never been the same. So AW we need you against MSU.

Reactions: DanL53
AJ Epenesa played AAU ball, as I recall with Cook. 6'7" 270lb Frosh. There's our forwards whenever Fran feels like making a point without getting a technical.
Don't even speak of this in whispers! I need me some AJ hunting down QB's on BIG gridirons, coming soon to you! :eek:

Reactions: DanL53
I was born and raised in Iowa and was an Iowa Hawkeye football fan. But as injuries became so common and I learned about how many former pros were practically crippled, it began to wear on my enjoyment of the game. And believe me, I was a rough and tumble youth and though I enjoyed working and getting paid so much that I skipped most sports...I loved sandlot tackle football and got as rough as anybody and worst than most.

Then the stuff about head injuries started coming out. I already felt like I was watching Roman Gladiators, and was conflicted about it. Now, then...some years ago, I was finding myself more worried about who was going to get a concussion than I was who was gaining yardage.

So, I'm not anti-Hawkeye football...I just can't watch the game with any comfort level anymore.

Not telling anyone else what to do and I'm grateful I actually got a few likes and nobody jumped down my throat. Not trying to change anything...just not into football anymore. I appreciate the efforts to protect guys...maybe someday it'll be reasonably safe for young men to play again.
I understand your dillema Dan. I grew up in Iowa playing football, in the era before all the info about brain injuries, and before ACL surgery could fix a blown out knee. Raised three sons, and not one of them played football, but I never led them in either direction by choice anyway. All played basketball and baseball, and the younger two played college basketball, D2, and NAIA. A difficult decision as a parent for sure. I have to admit though I'm still a rabid Hawk football fan, even knowing what I do, God help me I love it so!

I think it was just Bell joking around with Wagner. I'm just speculating but I bet they've probably mentioned it to him before with his background and guessing the 2 have talked before. But being July dead time for recruiting and Hawkeye news as well the tweet brought on more attention than warranted. One reason I hate twitter you can post something and maybe mean the tweet as a joke but way others interpreting it take it another way and this is a prime example of how others can take it to mean something else. One reason i think its just playful kidding around is look at Iowa's TE position that has so much depth and its filled with a lot of promising underclassman along with 2 solid commits for 18' and 19' already.

Finally I doubt this causes any friction if any with Fran and Kirk. One Fran is allowing his son to try another sport so lets say Ahmed was serious of playing when done with his 4 years in bball I doubt he'd hold him back or even if he wanted to try which is a moot point because Ahmed has said he's 100% bball since he committed. 2nd we forget way back in the day Kirk let his starting freshman QB play bball that winter and spring in Jon Beutjer.

agree with Dan...with the exception I still watch & follow. Love Kirk Ferentz as our coach. I understand the Tyler Sash # on the helmet but it was more to honor his memory just as we did with Roy Marble initials on our player jersey,

without doubt football is one brutal game...thus I laugh at people who second guess players...like any of us could run into 300lb of muscle (on purpose)...I;d run alright...like the other way.

No you wouldn't. Do you forget about the time you had a conversation with a guy known as Superstar Billy Graham? You took the "fake" right out of Wrastlin'. And I think you scared the living $%^& out of him. And then there's the time you had half of Purdue's student section at an away basketball game ready to come out of their seats and attack! I'm just watching the game...and it turns out you are standing up and yelling....at the crowd of Boilermakers BEHIND us! o_O You put the me in "Don't Tread on Me". You aint never been violent, but you never had to be....and I imagine if some 300 lb guy ever did tackle you he would come away needing therapy due to the verbal lashing he'd get. Now, I get it..if I'd have been closer in age and had to grow up with some of our siblings maybe I'd have learned that skill...probably kept you from some real problems. Especially with one of our bros who practically was that 300 lb guy you speak of....heck, even when just having fun he could squish a guy by accident!

Now, I probably said too much and I hope you don't mind...but no, you don't run.

Perhaps Bell tried recruiting him when he was at NIU, and they know each other and it's a friendly ribbing

I would speculate that this is an inside joke between the football staff, basketball staff, Ahmad and Bell. I remember there being threads when some of the assistant coaches followed Ahmad a while back... I would expect that if there wasn't already consensus surrounding what would happen, those parties met at that point. This is likely playing off that from earlier in Ahmad's career.

Frankly, it's a huge compliment to Wagner that there is even speculation about his ability to play football at a B1G level. I personally think that may be where his future lies (perhaps joining the team for his final year of eligibility after his basketball career ends), as we've seen many success stories for similar types of athletes. I have no idea what Ahmad's personal goals are, so I'm open to seeing where his journey takes him and I'll enjoy his talents while he's at Iowa.

No doubt you're being facetious, but that would be a very exciting prospect. With all respect to Ed Horton, having a 275 pounder like AJ down low would be a whole new level of enforcer that Iowa has never had.

It actually might be a good thing for Iowa basketball if the football team helped them out with the scholorship crunch/post player log jam.

We'll see how it plays out this year.

First, I rarely disagree with Dan but....WTF? Brother Iowa is a football school all the way. Our football team has much more national prestige. How do you think we keep drawing those New Year's Day bowls? Iowa BBall is largely an after thought in most national circles. I do agree the unis and helmets need changed. All we need is a tiger hawk on the helmet and name and number on the back, number only on the front. Like to see all black at home with just gold trim, (e.g. 1 tiger hawk, name and # only on the unis).

Second, Ferentz is death on drama. Dramatic guys in Iowa FBall get run outta town. My guess is this episode is some inside humor.

Having said that, I will say what I've been saying. AW's the best receiver on a scholarship at Iowa. Since the Meerkat is still injured any way. Have a friend in AWs hometown. He had committed here for like 9 months before I put that together and called. My guy's first response was he took his jr high age boys to the HS football games and AW was a beast and very fast for his size. Thought he would play college football. AWs highlight film was a hoot, to be sure.

A faster version of the late and tragic James Hardy. AW is right up there with The Baer Cage as my favorite of the current Hawks. Just think-we put 88 on his chest and watch The Hawktron bust for six. Do hope he plays as a graduate 5th year guy.

Who was the young man that was recruited to play basketball at Iowa, but ended up at Western Kentucky? Played 4 years of basketball and 1 year of football there, and is now an offensive lineman for the Seattle Seahawks, last I heard.

It wouldn't be shocking would it, if Wagner played 1 year of football at Iowa, after 4 years of basketball?

First, I rarely disagree with Dan but....WTF? Brother Iowa is a football school all the way. Our football team has much more national prestige. How do you think we keep drawing those New Year's Day bowls? Iowa BBall is largely an after thought in most national circles. I do agree the unis and helmets need changed. All we need is a tiger hawk on the helmet and name and number on the back, number only on the front. Like to see all black at home with just gold trim, (e.g. 1 tiger hawk, name and # only on the unis).

Second, Ferentz is death on drama. Dramatic guys in Iowa FBall get run outta town. My guess is this episode is some inside humor.

Having said that, I will say what I've been saying. AW's the best receiver on a scholarship at Iowa. Since the Meerkat is still injured any way. Have a friend in AWs hometown. He had committed here for like 9 months before I put that together and called. My guy's first response was he took his jr high age boys to the HS football games and AW was a beast and very fast for his size. Thought he would play college football. AWs highlight film was a hoot, to be sure.

A faster version of the late and tragic James Hardy. AW is right up there with The Baer Cage as my favorite of the current Hawks. Just think-we put 88 on his chest and watch The Hawktron bust for six. Do hope he plays as a graduate 5th year guy.

:) Basketball school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1896_Chicago_vs._Iowa_men's_basketball_game

We played in the first ever modern college basketball game. (We lost)

And other than that, since it is rather a mythical title anyway, I say we are a basketball school. And we have that twenty year losing record in football that agrees with me.

Who was the young man that was recruited to play basketball at Iowa, but ended up at Western Kentucky? Played 4 years of basketball and 1 year of football there, and is now an offensive lineman for the Seattle Seahawks, last I heard.

It wouldn't be shocking would it, if Wagner played 1 year of football at Iowa, after 4 years of basketball?

George Fant

Quintessential Alford; he excused failure at Iowa on Iowa's reputation as a football school. I think OSU and Florida played in both the FF and either national title game or big BCS bowls during the season in which he said it.

The 20 year losing streak was a bizarre anomaly. Iowa was a major school before Evy left and since Hayden arrived...38 years ago. We won or shared our last BBall title in 79...before Hayden arrived on campus. Hayden and Kirk have won or shared 6 B1G titles (3 each) and several top ten finishes (happened once in BBall since Ralph Miller left). Twenty seven bowl games in the last 35 seasons. Nine New Year's Day bowls since Kirk arrived.

When you get to know a lot of people from around the country, and my debate and political days gave me the chance to talk sports with probably thousands of people over about 30 years, you quickly realize the difference. Almost everyone knows something about Iowa football but most don't know anything about Iowa basketball. We're getting a little more BBall attention but nothing like the FBall team.

Reactions: pink shizzle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT