ADVERTISEMENT

What about your football career? Time is ticking...⏰

I know what I think of it. IF Bell was being serious, he should be ashamed that the coaching staff he is on apparently has to hope basketball players will switch sports. I'm probably in a unique position since I'm not a fan of football...I mean wearing a dead players number on helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him? That's about par for the mind set it takes to enjoy the sport.

And I like the skills Wagner showed in his latest effort. I'd hate to see that talent beaten out of his head.

I'm sure I'll be very popular for expressing these thoughts. :cool: Oh well.
I still like your insights...you are just ill-informed about head injuries and Sash's other problems. More and more is coming out with studies showing to the contrary. Don't hear about it because it won't cause histeria and sell media. I truly understand the importance of playing any sport safely but many more factors play into some one taking the selfish way out than a game they played. Easy target....just not always on target

Reactions: DanL53
I still like your insights...you are just ill-informed about head injuries and Sash's other problems. More and more is coming out with studies showing to the contrary. Don't hear about it because it won't cause histeria and sell media. I truly understand the importance of playing any sport safely but many more factors play into some one taking the selfish way out than a game they played. Easy target....just not always on target

Thanks, I'd love to find out I'm wrong. Can you link some of those studies?

I've never understood why its necessary to determine...football...basketball. I'm an Iowa BB follower because I grew up with it. And I think the sport itself is the best to watch.

I watch Iowa football but dont follow it as closely. Couldnt tell you much about recruits without going to look. I think Kirk Ferentz is a good coach & a great person. I also don't question those who are the opposite and love football first. I've also run into some really stupid football fans when it comes to their take on Iowa BB. Football does generate $$$.

Reactions: Ronman
I know what I think of it. IF Bell was being serious, he should be ashamed that the coaching staff he is on apparently has to hope basketball players will switch sports. I'm probably in a unique position since I'm not a fan of football...I mean wearing a dead players number on helmets when it was injuries to the head that helped kill him? That's about par for the mind set it takes to enjoy the sport.

And I like the skills Wagner showed in his latest effort. I'd hate to see that talent beaten out of his head.

I'm sure I'll be very popular for expressing these thoughts. :cool: Oh well.

Dan I think you're going overboard a bit in the casting of the entire sport of football into a mindset that you think supports players dying. Football is a violent sport, no doubt. Anyone who plays it knows and is aware of the dangers of the sport. I'm a fan and I'm certainly supportive of the new rules and emphasis on reducing the number of concussions and head injuries. They will never be eliminated completely unless they just shut down football. The sport involves collisions and controlled violence every play, so collision injuries are going to happen all the time.

To the issue of Wagner playing football. I thought from his high school basketball and football film that Wagner had a much better chance of playing football than basketball professionally. Dude could do things as a receiver that can't be taught. He played 1 year of high school football and got an offer from Kentucky and Ohio State was showing interest and very well could have offered had he said he would be willing to give up hoops. But Wagner was hoops all the way, I respect that for sure. As did the Iowa football coaches. I haven't read anything that they tried to get him to switch, despite desperately needing a player of Wagner's ability at receiver.

I really like having a player of Wagner's skill set on the hoops team, mainly because he doesn't need the ball or to be fed shots to contribute. With all that said, I could envision a scenario where he determines after his junior year that he'd like to give 2 years of football a try. The great thing is it's up to him, his choice. As is should be.

From reading the tones of those tweets, looks pretty light hearted to me.

Dan I think you're going overboard a bit in the casting of the entire sport of football into a mindset that you think supports players dying. Football is a violent sport, no doubt. Anyone who plays it knows and is aware of the dangers of the sport. I'm a fan and I'm certainly supportive of the new rules and emphasis on reducing the number of concussions and head injuries. They will never be eliminated completely unless they just shut down football. The sport involves collisions and controlled violence every play, so collision injuries are going to happen all the time.

To the issue of Wagner playing football. I thought from his high school basketball and football film that Wagner had a much better chance of playing football than basketball professionally. Dude could do things as a receiver that can't be taught. He played 1 year of high school football and got an offer from Kentucky and Ohio State was showing interest and very well could have offered had he said he would be willing to give up hoops. But Wagner was hoops all the way, I respect that for sure. As did the Iowa football coaches. I haven't read anything that they tried to get him to switch, despite desperately needing a player of Wagner's ability at receiver.

I really like having a player of Wagner's skill set on the hoops team, mainly because he doesn't need the ball or to be fed shots to contribute. With all that said, I could envision a scenario where he determines after his junior year that he'd like to give 2 years of football a try. The great thing is it's up to him, his choice. As is should be.

From reading the tones of those tweets, looks pretty light hearted to me.

Yeah. A few things.

I said IF in the one post I made about the football coach. IF he was serious.

Even before the concussion thing the sport had gotten too rough for me. But like I said, I'm not telling others what to do.

And, I've been having a little fun with the basketball school stuff. Near as I can tell we offer both sports. There isn't the distinction between the two that there once once.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Yeah. A few things.

I said IF in the one post I made about the football coach. IF he was serious.

Even before the concussion thing the sport had gotten too rough for me. But like I said, I'm not telling others what to do.

And, I've been having a little fun with the basketball school stuff. Near as I can tell we offer both sports. There isn't the distinction between the two that there once once.

Agreed on the basketball vs football school stuff. Iowa supports both. It's not "easy" to win at the Big 10 level in either due to the lower population of the state, but the fans and administration support the programs. A good coach can succeed in either. But a not-good coach will not win in either sport. There are some places (i.e. Indiana basketball) where an okay coach can experience a lot of success just by being the coach at Indiana.

I've always been a football first guy. There's nothing that beats the atmosphere around Kinnick on a nice fall Saturday. Still love basketball though!

Reactions: 24 so far
Dude could do things as a receiver that can't be taught. He played 1 year of high school football and got an offer from Kentucky and Ohio State was showing interest and very well could have offered had he said he would be willing to give up hoops.

The Kentucky football offer with a "chance to also play basketball" was a shameful and ridiculously transparent attempt to lure Wagner. Anyone who seriously believes that, at Kentucky, Wagner could miss the first few games of the basketball season (maybe more), including every practice and team meeting up to that point, then show up and compete for playing time for the Wildcats and their roster of Top100 recruits is certifiably insane. Ahmad is smarter than that. At best, he gets a minute in a blowout win in February - right before he leaves the team to participate in Spring football practice.

Ohio State was not going to offer a football scholarship. Wagner is indeed a fantastic athlete but OSU football was not in the works except maybe as a walk-on recruit.

But Wagner was hoops all the way

and that's why the Wagner football fantasy should be buried.

The Kentucky football offer with a "chance to also play basketball" was a shameful and ridiculously transparent attempt to lure Wagner. Anyone who seriously believes that, at Kentucky, Wagner could miss the first few games of the basketball season (maybe more), including every practice and team meeting up to that point, then show up and compete for playing time for the Wildcats and their roster of Top100 recruits is certifiably insane. Ahmad is smarter than that. At best, he gets a minute in a blowout win in February - right before he leaves the team to participate in Spring football practice.

Ohio State was not going to offer a football scholarship. Wagner is indeed a fantastic athlete but OSU football was not in the works except maybe as a walk-on recruit.

and that's why the Wagner football fantasy should be buried.

Yes AW would not see a minute for UK bball but why pretend like you have any idea what Urban Meyer would or wouldn't have done?

Does anyone know if Wagner has stumbled over to the football complex to catch a few balls from Stanley or Wiegers?? They throw balls daily to a lot of players.

He is right there where they practice everyday. It would not be a far cry for him to stop in and run a few routes on a random moment or two... Maybe he has? And that is why Kelvin Bell has asked such a question. He has seen what Ahmad can do. Just a thought....

Yes AW would not see a minute for UK bball but why pretend like you have any idea what Urban Meyer would or wouldn't have done?

Please. Urban Meyer sorts potential offers to 4 and 5 star WR prospects before breakfast every morning.

Please. Urban Meyer sorts potential offers to 4 and 5 star WR prospects before breakfast every morning.

Irrelevant.

Whether or not that hyperbolic statement is true or not has no bearing on your knowledge of what Urban Myer thought about Wagner.

Irrelevant.

Whether or not that hyperbolic statement is true or not has no bearing on your knowledge of what Urban Myer thought about Wagner.

Hey man if you want to promote your Wagner-Ohio State football fantasy I'm surely not going to check your day dream. Meyer could have shelved a scholarship offer to a highly recruited WR prospect (I won't list all the ranked 4and5 star WRs on OSU's roster under Meyer) in favor of an unranked and unrated local kid who played one year in high school. Who knows, maybe Wagner would start for the Buckeyes when they visit Kinnick this season... maybe score the winning TD!

None of that matters anyway. Some knuckleheads just do not want to accept that he does not want to play football. Here is what Ahmad said about playing college football, years ago, after he signed to play basketball at Iowa:

"It was something I had to consider and had to think about,” Wagner said. “It was something that I had to think about, especially being from Ohio, but I wanted to play basketball and I wanted to stick with my love.”

As far as I can tell, Wagner (now an upper classman) has never waivered from that expression and when asked about football nowadays, he just laughs.

Message boards can be amusing sometimes.

Imagine if you signed-in to HR one day and a group of strangers were speculating and discussing why you should leave the career you love as a hairdresser because they believe that your skills would make you a good make-up artist. I mean, these posters would be completely discounting your dream of being a hairdresser, of working as a hairdresser, only because you performed fairly well as a make-up artist for a relatively brief period of time several years ago. You would be amused - you're a hairdresser dammit! ..or maybe react the same way Wagner reacts today - just laugh it off.

Ahmad is not playing football at Iowa.

Last edited:
Hey man if you want to promote your Wagner-Ohio State football fantasy I'm surely not going to check your day dream. Meyer could have shelved a scholarship offer to a highly recruited WR prospect (I won't list all the ranked 4and5 star WRs on OSU's roster under Meyer) in favor of an unranked and unrated local kid who played one year in high school. Who knows, maybe Wagner would start for the Buckeyes when they visit Kinnick this season... maybe score the winning TD!

None of that matters anyway. Some knuckleheads just do not want to accept that he does not want to play football. Here is what Ahmad said about playing college football, years ago, after he signed to play basketball at Iowa:

"It was something I had to consider and had to think about,” Wagner said. “It was something that I had to think about, especially being from Ohio, but I wanted to play basketball and I wanted to stick with my love.”

As far as I can tell, Wagner (now an upper classman) has never waivered from that expression and when asked about football nowadays, he just laughs.

Imagine if you signed-in to HR one day and a group of strangers were speculating and discussing why you should leave the career you love as a hairdresser because they believe that your skills would make you a good make-up artist. I mean, these posters would be completely discounting your dream of being a hairdresser, of working as a hairdresser, only because you performed fairly well as a make-up artist for a relatively brief period of time several years ago. You would be amused - you're a hairdresser dammit! ..or maybe react the same way Wagner reacts today - just laugh it off.

Wow, you actually took the time to write all that. Thats really something.

Yes message boards can certainly be amusing...and ironic.

The reality is that after whatever that waste of time was suposed to be you're no closer to any reason to pretend you have a clue what Urban Myer would or would not do.

Trying to spin it around and act as though I was making any claims is whats know as a straw man argument.

Next time, instead of stating something as if it were fact, just say its your opinion and save youreself the trouble of spinning it with a bunch of nonsense.

cocoem, just wondering if you saw the latest study to come out?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

Reactions: hawk-i bob
I appreciate the efforts to protect guys...maybe someday it'll be reasonably safe for young men to play again.
People die driving their cars all the time.....not gonna stop me from driving :D

I can respect your opinion but I sure hope they don't do much to change the game I love!

Reactions: 24 so far
People die driving their cars all the time.....not gonna stop me from driving :D

I can respect your opinion but I sure hope they don't do much to change the game I love!

Very good point but they already have changed the game in so many ways. One can barely have a good solid hit anymore without getting ejected. If I'm not mistaken Josey Jewell missed most of the first game last year for a hard hit.

Most of us would like big AW's dilemma, wouldn't we? Do I play Big 10 football or basketball.

Other than being a great athlete think what he's doing this summer. Working his butt off to learn a new position.

Big AW and the Baer create a pair of great examples of effort, commitment and intelligent play for every fan and player to admire and encourage. Which ever sport we're lucky to have him.

That is an atrocious article.

I agree...stupid article

study (which took on 3,904 men with an average age of 64.4 years) read as such:

In this cohort study using data from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study among men graduating high school in Wisconsin in 1957, there was no statistically or clinically significant harmful association between playing football in high school and increased cognitive impairment or depression later in life, on average.

sorry this article is worthless...1957? really? Wisconsin what Study?

this is simple...you take constant hits to your head (IE boxing) you will have an increase chance of serious brain trauma (including as you age). Any article suggesting otherwise is a joke.

football fans are better off suggesting that every parent - every player know the risk. In the end it is their decision..not mine not yours.

Last edited:
Wagner probably does have more potential to play at the next level in FB than BB, but I'm glad he is on the Iowa BB team. It would still be a LONG shot. He might be the most underrated player on the team. There is much more to BB than shooting, especially if you can put some shooters on the court with him.

I agree...stupid article

In this cohort study using data from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study among men graduating high school in Wisconsin in 1957, there was no statistically or clinically significant harmful association between playing football in high school and increased cognitive impairment or depression later in life, on average.

this is simple...you take constant hits to your head (IE boxing) you will have an increase chance of serious brain trauma (including as you age). Any article suggesting otherwise is a joke.

football fans are better off suggesting that every parent - every player know the risk. In the end it is their decision..not mine not yours.
Sorry Doc...an article just like the ones you want to believe in. After you get done with your research please post...very interested.

Sorry Doc...an article just like the ones you want to believe in. After you get done with your research please post...very interested.

no doc and no intention of argument. You cant have lineman butting heads for years & years in practice and not have potential of brain injury. Its actually the reps that are more serious than a player getting his bell rung... Little kids playing tackle with helmets is a joke. I will say again...parents & players should know by now what the risk are.

I agree...stupid article

And yet there are millions upon millions upon millions of American Males that played Football for 6-8-10-12 years that are "aged" and doing just fine. Stunning revelation to many I'm sure.

There are X amount of people out there who are just scared shitless of any form of the "boogeyman". This is just another one of those scenarios, one of many.

And yet there are millions upon millions upon millions of American Males that played Football for 6-8-10-12 years that are "aged" and doing just fine. Stunning revelation to many I'm sure.

There are X amount of people out there who are just scared shitless of any form of the "boogeyman". This is just another one of those scenarios, one of many.

First off, there are not millions upon millions of American Males that played for 6-8-10-12 years. Second, if you had read the study I offered, which is not some ignoramus outfit like forum posters pretending to be experts, you would have read that 110 out of 111 brains from former NFL players (only way to determine for sure if someone has CTE is after they are dead) revealed they HAD CTE.

Millions ...did you say millions upon millions? :rolleyes:...

where did I say that there were not current or former football players "doing just fine". and how do you know that current or former players do not have some form of CTE and are doing just fine? you know the 6-8-10-12 year guys.

This isnt about revelation or the boogeyman. Its about the potential of brain damage stemming from the constant head contact that some football players sustain throughout their career.

I'm not ant-football. But I am in favor of medical research. And I am in favor of common sense....which includes allowing parents (and players) to make decisions based on fact.

If you dont want to believe the most recent study of the 111 so be it.

Good call.

I was born and raised in Iowa and was an Iowa Hawkeye football fan. But as injuries became so common and I learned about how many former pros were practically crippled, it began to wear on my enjoyment of the game. And believe me, I was a rough and tumble youth and though I enjoyed working and getting paid so much that I skipped most sports...I loved sandlot tackle football and got as rough as anybody and worst than most.

Then the stuff about head injuries started coming out. I already felt like I was watching Roman Gladiators, and was conflicted about it. Now, then...some years ago, I was finding myself more worried about who was going to get a concussion than I was who was gaining yardage.

So, I'm not anti-Hawkeye football...I just can't watch the game with any comfort level anymore.

Not telling anyone else what to do and I'm grateful I actually got a few likes and nobody jumped down my throat. Not trying to change anything...just not into football anymore. I appreciate the efforts to protect guys...maybe someday it'll be reasonably safe for young men to play again.

I feel like you do; conflicted. But mostly its my interest in the NFL that has gone down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT