ADVERTISEMENT

What are the biggest concerns coming into the season

Iowa was the best team in the West last year, but as some others have noted, they beat themselves four freakin' times. Last year's Hawkeyes had every opportunity to match the 2015 team and go 12-0, but they kept finding ways to lose.

This year, Iowa needs to find ways to win. The talent is there. The coaching may be getting there. So if Iowa stops beating itself, 2019 could be a special season indeed.

Let's see the Hawkeyes get back to Indy and win the Big Ten title this time.

I agree a lot with your sentiments about finding ways to win or lose.

What makes me leery is how often fans toss around the ‘the TALENT is there’. Talent is such a nebulous word. Every single team has ‘talent’ as it’s college football. College football is full of the very best high school players so you don’t get to this level without some measure of TALENT. We hang our hat on ‘development’ so that means that we rely on taking players that may not be ready to play early and molding them. It might be said that some guys come in with less ‘TALENT’ but become program fits/guys that thrive. Now we do, like many non-blue blood programs, sprinkle in some higher level recruits but those are the 10%’s on our roster.

Iowa football lacks big time play makers at the offensive skilled positions most years especially WR & RB. The type of guys that can make something out of nothing or do something ‘off-script’ that tips the balance of a close game. Give you an easy score or two. Without those types of players, we try instead to win by being physical, controlling tempo, shortening the game and playing percentages. In college football that equates to 6-8 wins if you do it well most years and we do that very well. Then the special season are about finding a way to win those close 1 score games. Last year we did not for whatever reasons but it’s college football and unlike the NFL, there can be more risk taking and creativity employed by our opponents that can work against percentages.

So I got on a tangent above and did not answer the question about what is the biggest concerns coming in?

It’s Iowa Football so what is not concerning? The margins are always razor thin. We get into many close games that can go either way. We can beat just about anyone or end up in a dog fight with a terrible team. The schedule is brutal. What is perceived as strengths right now could be out the window quickly if there are injuries. There are always big, big shoes to fill every year and as much as everyone expects plug-n-play football it’s not always the case or leads to play inconsistency as inexperienced players are learning.

There were four games that the season revolved around in conference play last year. Iowa's offense scored a total of 69 points against those teams. In those four games, the offense scored a grand total of 14 points in the fourth quarter and one of those TDs came against Purdue after Hooker set them up at point blank range after an INT. In those four fourth quarters, Stanley was 25-50 for 264 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs.
Those games were the difference between being fourth in the West and winning the division. The offense and Stanley specifically were not up to the task in any of those games when things were on the line.

Just out of curiosity, what do those numbers compare against the offense in '17?

I don't totally agree that it's fair to blame Stanley alone for the 4th quarter numbers. We're still digging out from the wide receiver void that BF inherited and Stanley walked into as the starter. As good as Hockenson and Fant were, it's really hard to stretch the field using two tight end sets. Hopefully, between ISM, Smith, Ragaini and Tracey plus any other guys who might step up this year, the passing game should take a step forward I think.

Penn State is the only game that I really thought Stanley played poorly. Wisconsin, the offense as a whole played well, it just bogged down in the red zone a couple of times, plus turnovers cost us chances at points. Purdue, the game went down to the wire. Northwestern, we got outcoached plus two crucial fumbles in the 4th from guys who hadn't fumbled all year.

I get what you're saying that in the abstract his 4th quarter numbers aren't great, but I also don't think they tell the whole story. I thought the bowl game, while ugly statistically because of the MSU defense, was a step forward because Stanley was able to move the ball enough to give the defense a rest, and took advantage of the opportunities to score points against that strong defense.

Run game probably. Only 2 B1G schools had poorer YPG last year. But, I will add a second less specific concern that honestly I can't really put my finger on. So, I'll call it:

Consistency

I really don't think there will be an area we haven't shown capability to play at a B1G championship level as a staff or players this season. I mean think about it. Can Sleep-Dalton punt absolute boomers? Can Stanley perform against top teams? Do we have coaches who've proven to game plan wins against excellent/superior talent? Do we have experience and talent at WR even? On down the line, I don't see us as suspect in any area. We don't enter '19 with one reason to doubt we can win every single game. But, every post-'09 team (save '15) seems to have given a head scratcher (or 4). Sometimes, we maybe give too much attention to being a "developmental" program and not enough attention to being a game planning program...? I maybe don't know what I'm saying here, but do you see my concern? Men aren't machine. There are going to be mistakes, etc. I expect and understand that from all coaches and teams (and humanity including myself). Another lame thought that won't entirely convey what I'm saying is there are games (regardless of opponent) where we look like we intentionally attacked certain aspects of the opponent with the precision of a surgeon and others where it looks like we ran a predetermined set of offenses and defenses with no mind for what the day's opponent does.

If I actually post this, please know I'm as confounded by my rambling as you are. I'll just wrap it up by saying it doesn't seem our best foot is always forward, and I think consistency in performance is a concern. On the low end, if a few opponents put it together, and we have a few key injuries, we could be at 4 wins. We could run the table and get into the playoffs, too.

Here is to hoping for running the table.

Another very solid summary. Humbe Pie is fast becoming one of my favorite reads.

Just out of curiosity, what do those numbers compare against the offense in '17?

I don't totally agree that it's fair to blame Stanley alone for the 4th quarter numbers. We're still digging out from the wide receiver void that BF inherited and Stanley walked into as the starter. As good as Hockenson and Fant were, it's really hard to stretch the field using two tight end sets. Hopefully, between ISM, Smith, Ragaini and Tracey plus any other guys who might step up this year, the passing game should take a step forward I think.

Penn State is the only game that I really thought Stanley played poorly. Wisconsin, the offense as a whole played well, it just bogged down in the red zone a couple of times, plus turnovers cost us chances at points. Purdue, the game went down to the wire. Northwestern, we got outcoached plus two crucial fumbles in the 4th from guys who hadn't fumbled all year.

I get what you're saying that in the abstract his 4th quarter numbers aren't great, but I also don't think they tell the whole story. I thought the bowl game, while ugly statistically because of the MSU defense, was a step forward because Stanley was able to move the ball enough to give the defense a rest, and took advantage of the opportunities to score points against that strong defense.

The offense DID play well against Wisconsin-until.the fourth quarter. They then gained 46 yards and one first down and Stanley threw an interception. He also missed Hockenson badly on a play that potentially would have changed the outcome of the game. It isn't just anecdotal evidence-Stanley just simply didn't perform in fourth quarters of big games last year. The running game definitely needs to improve but that isn't going to happen until.defenses take the pass seriously. That could happen this year. The WR group has the potential to be an asset rather than a liability this year. The irony is that now they have no proven TEs. So a couple of scenarios could develop. One, Beyer and Weiting or one or more of the freshmen TEs could blow up and be the next great Iowa TE. Second, they may feature downfield passing to the WRs more as a way to compensate. If Iowa would run more multiple-wide sets, they could get defenders out of the box and give the O Line a better chance to block people.

Reactions: GO for the GOLD
And one add-on. Stanley COULD be an asset in the running game. He isn't a burner but he actually runs well when he makes up his mind to do so. It wouldn't be a crime to have him run a keeper out of a four-wide set occasionally.

The offense DID play well against Wisconsin-until.the fourth quarter. They then gained 46 yards and one first down and Stanley threw an interception. He also missed Hockenson badly on a play that potentially would have changed the outcome of the game. It isn't just anecdotal evidence-Stanley just simply didn't perform in fourth quarters of big games last year. The running game definitely needs to improve but that isn't going to happen until.defenses take the pass seriously. That could happen this year. The WR group has the potential to be an asset rather than a liability this year. The irony is that now they have no proven TEs. So a couple of scenarios could develop. One, Beyer and Weiting or one or more of the freshmen TEs could blow up and be the next great Iowa TE. Second, they may feature downfield passing to the WRs more as a way to compensate. If Iowa would run more multiple-wide sets, they could get defenders out of the box and give the O Line a better chance to block people.

And yet...he, and the rest of the offense...DID play well enough to win the game. The defense played its part in losing that game. They only had the 46 yards because the defense couldn’t get off the field late. That game was frustrating because it was a team loss. Turnovers, missed tackles, bad coverage, and yes missed opportunities on offense (including a failed 4th and 1 on the opening drive). That game was there for the taking.

2018’s W-L was about as bad as it could’ve been. In an average year we split the four games we lost. Unfortunate to lose all four.

The trend looks good though. Better offense, better recruiting, solid defense, updating schemes. This is just a bad time to catch us. This program is slowly, but surely moving next level.

That said, my biggest concern is ball security, and catch %, PBU and strip sacks. Only the stuff we can control. The W-L will reward or punish accordingly.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

I think Iowa knows what they have with this team and what they will get out of them, from OL to RB to WR to TE to DL to LB to DB to ST. The biggest unknown and single most important factor is QB. We have the most experienced QB in the B1G who has shown flashes of greatness and may have a future in the NFL....but has also shown befuddling inconsistency. The success of this team in '19, in terms of W's and L's, lives and dies with Stanley.
Agree 100 percent, he needs to step his game up.....

Reactions: Wadzinator
Biggest concern is who’s going to make big plays. Fant, Hock, & Easley caught most of the TDs last year and made most of the big plays. Hoping Smith, Smith-Marsette, and someone else can emerge (running back, te, or maybe Oliver Martin).

Reactions: And1Hawk
You point out some interesting things here. The 2018 Iowa team was quite good, finished 10th in the Sagarin ratings, which take into account margin of victory and strength of opponent. Don't need to go over each of the losses in detail, as everyone is tired of them. But 2018 will always be a mixed bag. 9 wins can never really be considered a "failure" at Iowa, but 2018 will always be a lost opportunity as well.

I don't agree that winning close games is just a matter of "wanting to" or more desire. I thought Iowa gave every last bit of effort against Wisconsin and Northwestern, and for that matter all of the losses. But Groenweg fumbles a punt and Beyer's foot hits a loose punt against Wisconsin, so Iowa turns it over twice and loses the game. That isn't desire, it's making mistakes and the other team making plays. Against Northwestern, IKM and Sargent fumble the last 2 times Iowa has the ball. Both guys were giving great effort. They fumbled. Iowa loses.

If Iowa can find the little margins in the close games this year, they have a great shot to win the division.

The absolute killer in the UW game was throwing late while we still had a lead. Incomplete passes that stop the clock=keeping your opponent in the game.

I, for one, believe Iowa stole the Outback Bowl last year. .

When you gain fewer yards than all of teams that have ever lost the Outback Bowl, and you still win, it is one heck of a steal, and I'll take it.

Some very good posts in this thread.

It appears likely that the defense will perform at a level at, or above, the rest of the conference, and that STs will hold their own. That, as usual, leaves the offense.

The first key to the offense is the QB. Not stats, but the ability to rise to the occasion and make plays when it's most critical-having the "it" factor. The evidence is clear that we don't have that. Since that is primarily mental, the chances it will change are remote. We don't know if we have someone better because no body else has had a real opportunity. And it takes real game experience to find out. And that takes OC insight.

Another key for the OC is the run game. It's been mentioned that a better passing game would help the running game. That's true, but not the only way the running game can be improved. There are a number of teams that pass less effectively than we do, but still have strong running games. More misdirection, and different blocking assignment would really help our short yardage conversion rate which is a drive killer.

I'm always optimistic but if nothing is changed, neither will be the result. I see another 8-4 or with a tougher schedule, a 7-5 or even 6-6.

Reactions: dadster
When you gain fewer yards than all of teams that have ever lost the Outback Bowl, and you still win, it is one heck of a steal, and I'll take it.

Not totally a great point, as Iowa was very opportunistic and took advantage of short fields at least twice. Don't have the stats on-hand, but MSU wasn't moving up and down on us either.

@SWIowahawks who is the backup QB?

I'd say on the outside looking in:

QB - Stanley staying healthy. Every team wants their QB to be healthy, but having a veteran is great to have.

TE - You'll probably have some in pipeline, but those guys were matchup nightmares and made the D have to adjust to cover them.

RB - Iowa normally has a stud RB, but it was noticeable last year that it was missing that.

Secondary - Lot's of opposing teams seem to have good WR corps. Your D-Line will get pressure which will make it easier, but their are some matchup that are going to be tough in a lot of games on that end.

@SWIowahawks who is the backup QB?

I'd say on the outside looking in:

QB - Stanley staying healthy. Every team wants their QB to be healthy, but having a veteran is great to have.

TE - You'll probably have some in pipeline, but those guys were matchup nightmares and made the D have to adjust to cover them.

RB - Iowa normally has a stud RB, but it was noticeable last year that it was missing that.

Secondary - Lot's of opposing teams seem to have good WR corps. Your D-Line will get pressure which will make it easier, but their are some matchup that are going to be tough in a lot of games on that end.

Pretty good appraisal from an outsider.

The fan favorite at backup QB seems to be Peyton Mansell - Texas kid (literally named after Peyton Manning) with wheels. Reminds me of Drew Tate but bigger. Seems to want to run first though, which isn't Kirk Ferentz at all. Was recruited by Greg Davis. Those in the know say it's just a matter of time before 4 star Spencer Petras (big kid, prototypical KF prostyle pocket passer) wins the job. Last year Mansell was the number two with Petras coming in a couple times in mop up duty. Didn't burn his redshirt.

Not worried about TE at all. Over the last 20 years, if you've started at TE under KF, you've gotten an NFL paycheck eventually. Beyer and Weiting won't be Hock and Fant, but they could be our 2015 tight ends, Kittle and Henry Krieger-Coble. That didn't go so badly.

Our RBs were pressed into service a year early last season and it showed. IKM won the starting role in fall camp and dealt with a nagging ankle injury all season. He should be healthy this year, and the other two guys have a season under their belt. Help is on the way in Tyler Goodson who might be a back like we haven't seen in years. Georgia and Bama sniffed around late in the process. The middle of the offensive line has to come along though, or all the talent and experience in the world at RB won't mean anything. That's the biggest question for me.

I love our secondary this year. We switched from the 4-3 to a 4-2-5 with a DB playing the "cash" position. We've put a linebacker on slot receivers for years and it's a big deal that KF switched things up philosophically. That looks like we'll be moving one of our starters at corner to it and Julius Brents who was a 4 star and started a handful of games last year as a true freshman will fill in his spot. Phil Parker is the country's best defensive backs coach, so not too worried there.

The interior of the oline and the schedule will be the biggest hurdles this Hawkeye team will have to overcome this season.

Last edited:
Biggest concern is who’s going to make big plays. Fant, Hock, & Easley caught most of the TDs last year and made most of the big plays. Hoping Smith, Smith-Marsette, and someone else can emerge (running back, te, or maybe Oliver Martin).
Look for Tracy, Beyer, IKM, and Goodson as a long shot....

Pretty good appraisal from an outsider.

The fan favorite at backup QB seems to be Peyton Mansell - Texas kid (literally named after Peyton Manning) with wheels. Reminds me of Drew Tate but bigger. Seems to want to run first though, which isn't Kirk Ferentz at all. Was recruited by Greg Davis. Those in the know say it's just a matter of time before 4 star Spencer Petras (big kid, prototypical KF prostyle pocket passer) wins the job. Last year Mansell was the number two with Petras coming in a couple times in mop up duty. Didn't burn his redshirt.

Not worried about TE at all. Over the last 20 years, if you've started at TE under KF, you've at gotten an NFL paycheck eventually. Beyer and Weiting won't be Hock and Fant, but they could be our 2015 tight ends, Kittle and Henry Krieger-Coble. That didn't go so badly.

Our RBs were pressed into service a year early last season and it showed. IKM won the starting role in fall camp and dealt with a nagging ankle injury all season. He should be healthy this year, and the other two guys have a season under their belt. Help is on the way in Tyler Goodson who might be a back like we haven't seen in years. Georgia and Bama sniffed around late in the process. The middle of the offensive line has to come along though, or all the talent and experience in the world at RB won't mean anything. That's the biggest question for me.

I love our secondary this year. We switched from the 4-3 to a 4-2-5 with a DB playing the "cash" position. That looks like we'll be moving one of our starters at corner to it and Julius Brents who was a 4 star and started a handful of games last year as a true freshman will fill in his spot. Phil Parker is the country's best defensive backs coach, so not to worried there.

The interior of the oline and the schedule will be the biggest hurdles this Hawkeye team will have to overcome this season.

Yep. I agree Phil Parker is a really good coach, and always develops the talent. I think the crazy part is how the Big 10 is starting to load up on really good receivers. There is no doubt the conference has always had some receiver talent, but this next year in the West alone there are going to be some studs on the field.

It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out. I feel like for teams like Iowa, their biggest concerns aren't really that big because they are well coached, so it minimizes that. I think the bigger hurdle is mental and just making sure the best Iowa team shows up each week on a consistent basis. For every team you are going to have 2-3 head scratching games, but its all if you can overcome it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Yep. I agree Phil Parker is a really good coach, and always develops the talent. I think the crazy part is how the Big 10 is starting to load up on really good receivers. There is no doubt the conference has always had some receiver talent, but this next year in the West alone there are going to be some studs on the field.

It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out. I feel like for teams like Iowa, their biggest concerns aren't really that big because they are well coached, so it minimizes that. I think the bigger hurdle is mental and just making sure the best Iowa team shows up each week on a consistent basis. For every team you are going to have 2-3 head scratching games, but its all if you can overcome it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is this actually true: "every team...(is) going to have 2-3 head scratching games"? I follow one team (too) closely...never considered others do as we seem to.

So, is it true? (Honest question)

Is this actually true: "every team...(is) going to have 2-3 head scratching games"? I follow one team (too) closely...never considered others do as we seem to.

So, is it true? (Honest question)

I think so as I watch games, but that is open for interpretation. Sometimes it may be 1-2 or more. Kind of depends of the caliber of the team or their coach as well. But for example, there is no reason last year that Clemson should have struggled with Syracuse, but they did. I imagine they possibly had 1-2 other games that shouldn't have been as close as they were, but they were able to overcome.

Run game and interior line on offense. And on defense I would say safety and dline depth.

The first key to the offense is the QB. Not stats, but the ability to rise to the occasion and make plays when it's most critical-having the "it" factor. The evidence is clear that we don't have that... We don't know if we have someone better because no body else has had a real opportunity. And it takes real game experience to find out.

I'm always optimistic but if nothing is changed, neither will be the result. I see another 8-4 or with a tougher schedule, a 7-5 or even 6-6.

Lol, back under a new screen name, I see.

You clearly don’t know what “optimistic” means. You ain’t it. Every single one of your posts under this new handle is you moping and attacking Iowa.

Secondly, what a horrible point about “game experience” and throwing a brand new QB into the fire. To wit: Stanzi gets hurt against Northwestern in 2009. In comes Vandy who invents new ways to shit the bed for the rest of the afternoon. A week later, with PRACTICE, we take OSU to overtime at the Horseshoe.

Lol, back under a new screen name, I see.

You clearly don’t know what “optimistic” means. You ain’t it. Every single one of your posts under this new handle is you moping and attacking Iowa.

Secondly, what a horrible point about “game experience” and throwing a brand new QB into the fire. To wit: Stanzi gets hurt against Northwestern in 2009. In comes Vandy who invents new ways to shit the bed for the rest of the afternoon. A week later, with PRACTICE, we take OSU to overtime at the Horseshoe.

Apparently either you're confused or you value "acceptance" above intellectual honesty. I've never advocated throwing a new QB into the fire. I have advocated not selecting a starter without in-game evaluation of leading candidates. And I'm not talking about "mop-up" time. I'm talking about maybe 6 possessions before games have been decided.

And I'm not attacking Iowa. I'm optimistic about talent level, player development, defense,...... On the flip side, I consider offensive coordination to be grossly subpar (still an understatement)
and that the need for improvement in that area far overshadows
the need for improvement in player performance.

On the flip side, I consider offensive coordination to be grossly subpar (still an understatement)
and that the need for improvement in that area far overshadows
the need for improvement in player performance.

The coordination is tailored exactly to the offensive philosophy KF has held since he arrived. It's not "subpar." Maybe you mean execution, but again, we can look at stats and see that our players execute as well or better than their peers on other Big Ten teams. Iowa players that grossly under-execute get yanked. See Fant's pt after the PSU int down on their goal line.

You want a complete offensive overall, but that's never going to happen under KF, and I hope it never happens at Iowa. Pounding the ball in a pro-style offense is who we are. It allows us to be competitive with the players Iowa can get and we can still function offensively in any weather. See Scott Frost's offense in the snow last season (9 points!). Wisconsin has won a gaziliion games with this same philosophy. They have a subpar (by their standards) season last year and you can find a hundred posters on their site calling for Chryst's firing and full scale offensive overall, like it's a video game and you can just choose a new playbook at the beginning of a game. The average fan doesn't know shit about play calling and preparation. See your posts for exhibit A.

The coordination is tailored exactly to the offensive philosophy KF has held since he arrived. It's not "subpar." Maybe you mean execution, but again, we can look at stats and see that our players execute as well or better than their peers on other Big Ten teams. Iowa players that grossly under-execute get yanked. See Fant's pt after the PSU int down on their goal line.

You want a complete offensive overall, but that's never going to happen under KF, and I hope it never happens at Iowa. Pounding the ball in a pro-style offense is who we are. It allows us to be competitive with the players Iowa can get and we can still function offensively in any weather. See Scott Frost's offense in the snow last season (9 points!). Wisconsin has won a gaziliion games with this same philosophy. They have a subpar (by their standards) season last year and you can find a hundred posters on their site calling for Chryst's firing and full scale offensive overall, like it's a video game and you can just choose a new playbook at the beginning of a game. The average fan doesn't know shit about play calling and preparation. See your posts for exhibit A.

Yes, KF's offensive philosophy is part of the problem and yes, it has been sub-par for most years of his tenure.
Pro-style is not the problem. It's the details within that system. And it's not primarily execution. Without vastly superior talent, good execution is largely dependent on good play design, and play sequence.

I just posted this elsewhere, but it has its place here too. We’re actually very well coached, especially defensively.

Team Efficiency Rank

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei

Basically, this is how efficiently does your team play. In the B1G:
6) OSU
12)Iowa
13)Michigan
17)Penn State
29)Mich St
31)Northwestern
41)Wisconsin
45)Purdue
46)Minnesota
48)Nebraska
51) Indiana
84) Maryland
107) Rutgers
116) Illinois

Offensive Efficiency (Defense Adjusted)

7) OSU
20) Michigan
36) Purdue
40) Indiana
43) Nebby
44) PSU
48) Iowa
70) Maryland
72) Illinois
77) Minnesota
83) Northwestern
110) Mich St
126) Rutgers

So, as we can see we’re in the top half, bunched, with a little room to move. But not bad.

You are blaming Fant for the goal-line debacle? How many timeouts did Iowa have left at that point? Was it Fant's fault Stanley overthrew Hockenson by five yards on the fourth down play BEFORE he hurt his thumb? If there was one player who consistently underperformed in key moments last year, it was the QB. His playing time surely as hell didn't get limited. Was Hockenson underperforming in bowl prep? Is that why Stanley didn't look his way the entire first half of the bowl game?

You are blaming Fant for the goal-line debacle? How many timeouts did Iowa have left at that point? Was it Fant's fault Stanley overthrew Hockenson by five yards on the fourth down play BEFORE he hurt his thumb? If there was one player who consistently underperformed in key moments last year, it was the QB. His playing time surely as hell didn't get limited. Was Hockenson underperforming in bowl prep? Is that why Stanley didn't look his way the entire first half of the bowl game?

^When you’re too clueless to know how clueless you are.

^When you’re too clueless to know how clueless you are.

Yes. We all know how omniscient you are. No one and I mean NO ONE underperformed as much as Stanley last season. Three of the four losses last year are squarely on him. Watch the replay of the pick six he threw in the bowl game for Hockenson's reaction. But you want to hate on a guy the Broncos loved enough to make a multi millionaire.
What is your football resume, genius? If you are gonna call people out as clueless, show the world how much you know. Sharing videos isnt much of a resume.

ADVERTISEMENT