ADVERTISEMENT

What are the chances that both Murray bros are gone after this season?

crHawkeye92

HR MVP
Mar 16, 2013
This is just something I was thinking about recently. It sounds kind of ridiculous at first (and maybe it is ridiculous), but obviously I think we all expect Keegan to be gone if he is projected to be a lottery pick. The thing is, Kris is an extremely good player too. He comes off the bench because he's great for that second unit, but I believe he would put up similar numbers to Keegan if he was featured in the same way. We've already seen him have multiple 20+ point games this season. Could he make the decision to pursue the NBA after this season along with his brother? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. What do y'all think?

Reactions: KcTo
Keegan is gone for sure and Kris likely goes through pre-draft evals. My best guess is that he’s a second round pick if he chooses to go. The question becomes: does he want to come back and improve that stock (in a “go-to guy” type of roll like Keegan’s now), potentially bypassing time spent in the GLeague and making more money off the bat upon getting drafted? Or does he want to commit himself to basketball full time and go pro? I doubt that even the Murray’s know yet

All we know for sure is that Kris won’t be transferring to a different school @jonesy5960

Keegan is gone for sure and Kris likely goes through pre-draft evals. My best guess is that he’s a second round pick if he chooses to go. The question becomes: does he want to come back and improve that stock (in a “go-to guy” type of roll like Keegan’s now), potentially bypassing time spent in the GLeague and making more money off the bat upon getting drafted? Or does he want to commit himself to basketball full time and go pro? I doubt that even the Murray’s know yet

All we know for sure is that Kris won’t be transferring to a different school @jonesy5960
I'm guessing his evaluation will be similar to Keegan's last year.

The fact that Kris is effectively defending centers this year and shooting %40 from 3 are two impressive facets hes already showing.

Im guessing an NBA team will see hes being grossly underutilized this year and be willing to bet on his future as a value pick this summer.

Kris may want to bet on himself for a bigger pay day like you said.

I’d love for Keegan to stick around one more year but if he’s a projected lottery pick, he should probably take this opportunity now because his stock can’t get any higher. There is far less of Kris on film so if anyone drafts him, part of it would be due to the reputation of Keegan even though Kris is certainly capable in his own right.

If both leave, Iowa is going to have a long season.

I’d love for Keegan to stick around one more year but if he’s a projected lottery pick, he should probably take this opportunity now because his stock can’t get any higher. There is far less of Kris on film so if anyone drafts him, part of it would be due to the reputation of Keegan even though Kris is certainly capable in his own right.

If both leave, Iowa is going to have a long season.
If that happened, I think that Fran would have no choice but to look at the portal for another 4, and a guy who could come in and log heavy minutes at that

Your other options are to move Rebraca to the 4 and let Mulvey/Ogundele split time at the 5, have Connor return for another season and play the 4, or have Pat move to the 4 and give Perkins a ton of minutes at the 3 with Bowen, Toussaint, and Ulis (Dix?) handling the backcourt… none of which seem like great options

Reactions: hopstiguy61
This is just something I was thinking about recently. It sounds kind of ridiculous at first (and maybe it is ridiculous), but obviously I think we all expect Keegan to be gone if he is projected to be a lottery pick. The thing is, Kris is an extremely good player too. He comes off the bench because he's great for that second unit, but I believe he would put up similar numbers to Keegan if he was featured in the same way. We've already seen him have multiple 20+ point games this season. Could he make the decision to pursue the NBA after this season along with his brother? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. What do y'all think?
It's probably around 50/50 at this point. No one should underestimate how Keegan's potential departure will impact Kris's decisions as well. They've spent their entire lives living and playing together and I'm not just talking about basketball. It will be life changing for both.

I'm guessing his evaluation will be similar to Keegan's last year.

The fact that Kris is effectively defending centers this year and shooting %40 from 3 are two impressive facets hes already showing.

Im guessing an NBA team will see hes being grossly underutilized this year and be willing to bet on his future as a value pick this summer.

Kris may want to bet on himself for a bigger pay day like you said.
Kris doesn’t play heavy minutes because he fouls far too often. Defensive footwork and technique needs to improve. Give him another year to get better.

It's probably around 50/50 at this point. No one should underestimate how Keegan's potential departure will impact Kris's decisions as well. They've spent their entire lives living and playing together and I'm not just talking about basketball. It will be life changing for both.

They most likely won't get drafted by the same NBA team so they are going to be apart one way or another next year. I think Kris returns and moves up to another 1st round pick.... By continuing to improve over the next year and his twin brother Keegan winning rookie of the year 😎

Kris isn’t getting drafted this year. 60 picks and I think 2 teams lost their 2nd rd picks so only 58 guys getting drafted. Throw in foreign players on top of all the other college players I just don’t see it this year, no way.

Nope. They're not. And you've never been a twin and I have, so my life experience provides me with more insight than you will ever have on this topic. Oh, and fouls aren't the reason that Kris doesn't get extended minutes more often. Just an FYI.
And just how do you know I’m not? How do you know I’m not the father of twins? No you’re probably right. The only reason he doesn’t get more minutes is because Fran knows even less about basketball than you. Childish.

And just how do you know I’m not? How do you know I’m not the father of twins? No you’re probably right. The only reason he doesn’t get more minutes is because Fran knows even less about basketball than you. Childish.
Oh, so you are a twin?

Many posters would be happy if Kris left as it would give them more fodder to trash both Fran and the Iowa program.

Reactions: chuck285 and PIEPI
Kris doesn’t play heavy minutes because he fouls far too often. Defensive footwork and technique needs to improve. Give him another year to get better.
To you two basketball know it all’s, Kris Murray leads the team in fouls averaging 2.4 per game. This with limited minutes. Look it up.

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
Obviously, but they won't be playing together anyway so I doubt that will be a deciding factor.....

Kris isn’t getting drafted this year. 60 picks and I think 2 teams lost their 2nd rd picks so only 58 guys getting drafted. Throw in foreign players on top of all the other college players I just don’t see it this year, no way.
This. No way both get drafted. But Kris will get attention just like Keegan did last year. But I see him coming back and making his bucks the following year.

Keegan will probably want to return but the money will be too good. Can't pass up a top 10 draft pick. But if he decided to come back, I can't see how he would hurt himself. I can imagine that pro scouts see him already as a second KD.

Why would he look it up? You've already said what the number is?

Im pretty sure no one is doubting the number.

That doesn't mean fouls are the reason.

Sometimes fouls have limited his PT but 2.4 isn't a reason to limit someone's PT.

You get 5 fouls not 3.
Does this whole thing seem as ludicrous to you as it does to me? What am I missing here?

You're quoting yourself now? 😔
Why would he look it up? You've already said what the number is?

Im pretty sure no one is doubting the number.

Sometimes fouls have limited his PT but 2.4 isn't a reason to limit someone's PT.

You get 5 fouls not 3.
So someone who you bitch and whine incessantly about that they should be getting more minutes, yet he already leads the team in fouls with less minutes? In case you didn’t know this - fouls are a bad thing. You know you’re on an island of stupidity when you’re getting support from jonesy.!

Look. Your premise is just stupid. Fouls is not why Kris doesn’t play. I'm not even going to try and tell you why he doesn’t play consistently more minutes. Only Fran can tell you that, but trust me, fouls is not the primary reason.
So you have one very objective reason why he doesn’t get more minutes but you’d rather dispute that for the unknown? Fouls are a bad thing. Simple enough for you?

Why would he look it up? You've already said what the number is.

Im pretty sure no one is doubting the number just the reasoning.

You get 5 fouls not 3.
Right, 5 fouls and you’re out of the game. Four fouls and you play tentative. But carry on.

This. No way both get drafted. But Kris will get attention just like Keegan did last year. But I see him coming back and making his bucks the following year.

Keegan will probably want to return but the money will be too good. Can't pass up a top 10 draft pick. But if he decided to come back, I can't see how he would hurt himself. I can imagine that pro scouts see him already as a second KD.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying but let's slow down on the "second KD" talk lol. KD is probably the best pure scorer of all time

I don't know what the chances are of them both leaving. I just hope one, or both for that matter, stick around for another season

Reactions: IAGuy
So someone who you bitch and whine incessantly about that they should be getting more minutes, yet he already leads the team in fouls with less minutes? In case you didn’t know this - fouls are a bad thing. You know you’re on an island of stupidity when you’re getting support from jonesy.!
So If I understand this correctly. The second best player averages less than 20 minutes a game because he commits 2.4 fouls a game....and fouls are bad.

Thats really what you think?

I don't see any reason for us to discuss this any further.

Is this really serious question?

For starters, Keegan is 100% gone. Nothing left to prove.

Kris,
A. Cant even start at IOWA, before tOSU, avg 13m a game, can’t even play 20Min
B. Doesnt have anything close to Keegan’s jump shot mechanics. Keegan has classic jumper techniques that he can use in all sorts of forms; ie pull-ups, turnaround, fades, steps backs Kris OTOH has a set shot from 3, and slasher moves, but not the free flowing jumper with the proper lean back, it’s just not there.
100% stays, may never get drafted.

Right, 5 fouls and you’re out of the game. Four fouls and you play tentative. But carry on.
So if I follow your astute premise, the reason he only played a grand total of 22 minutes in the 2 games immediately after scoring 29 points in 29 minutes in the previous game was because he fouls too much? In all 3 games he collected no more than 2 fouls but fouls were the reason he didn't play more? You're sticking by that OBI-Wan?

So if I follow your astute premise, the reason he only played a grand total of 22 minutes in the 2 games immediately after scoring 29 points in 29 minutes in the previous game was because he fouls too much? In all 3 games he collected no more than 2 fouls but fouls were the reason he didn't play more? You're sticking by that OBI-Wan?
In each of those games, he had 2 fouls in 11 minutes. The game after that he played 20 minutes and only had 2 fouls. He fouled out of the next game in 26 minutes, had 4 fouls in 24 minutes in the game after that, then 3 fouls in 15 minutes in the game after that. He is foul-prone and not just because of defending 5s.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
Is this really serious question?

For starters, Keegan is 100% gone. Nothing left to prove.

Kris,
A. Cant even start at IOWA, before tOSU, avg 13m a game, can’t even play 20Min
B. Doesnt have anything close to Keegan’s jump shot mechanics. Keegan has classic jumper techniques that he can use in all sorts of forms; ie pull-ups, turnaround, fades, steps backs Kris OTOH has a set shot from 3, and slasher moves, but not the free flowing jumper with the proper lean back, it’s just not there.
100% stays, may never get drafted.
I dont think Kris’ shot is as far off of Keega’s as you suggest. Keegan plays stronger and finishes a lot better. More explosive player. I do think Kris has a better looking 3 point shot.

Anything can happen in these last few games, but unless Kris goes on a tear into the NCAAs I would expect him to come back next year and have a very good year.

In each of those games, he had 2 fouls in 11 minutes. The game after that he played 20 minutes and only had 2 fouls. He fouled out of the next game in 26 minutes, had 4 fouls in 24 minutes in the game after that, then 3 fouls in 15 minutes in the game after that. He is foul-prone and not just because of defending 5s.
C'mon BB. Fouls are NOT the primary reason that Kris isn't starting or averaging 25 minutes and you know it. This discussion is so ridiculous it borders on insanity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT