ADVERTISEMENT

what are you getting your s/o for xmas?

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Ugh, Mrs QC is so hard to shop for.
The last several years I've been gifting experiences (concerts, theater shows, etc.) over material items.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwkfn1
Mostly just small things as we just buy what we want these days.
My favorite gift for her arrives this week. A Bell &Howell "Tactical" flashlight. We always laugh a the B&H commercials and I suggested that we only buy each other gifts from the B&H store going forward. She will remember that joke on Xmas morning.

Reactions: Moral
Got her some fuzzy socks and one of those giant oversized sweatshirt/blanket things as pre-Christmas gifts then saving some selectable weight dumbbells for the big ticket item on Christmas day.

Tix to The Nutcracker. Tix to Paul Thorn. Tix to Jason Isbell. She's getting me the same thing. :)

dick in a box surprise GIF by Saturday Night Live

You can't get too much for your spouse, and it doesn't have to be lovey dovey. Stuff for around the house. I was done back in mid November. Easy way to add house improvements and please her at the same time.

The last several years I've been gifting experiences (concerts, theater shows, etc.) over material items.
We don't really do much, but if you do, I stole the best idea from a colleague of mine. Go to some nice restaurants and get gift cards. Enough so that you will be sure to use them. Then put them in a nice little box, and give them as a gift of guaranteed date nights at nice restaurants over the next year.

We don't really do much, but if you do, I stole the best idea from a colleague of mine. Go to some nice restaurants and get gift cards. Enough so that you will be sure to use them. Then put them in a nice little box, and give them as a gift of guaranteed date nights at nice restaurants over the next year.
I like this idea however my wife and I usually don't get each other anything for Christmas. We just focus on the kids and our parents.

I like this idea however my wife and I usually don't get each other anything for Christmas. We just focus on the kids and our parents.
Neither do we, but she will appreciate the thought and you get advanced credit for date nights you probably were going to have anyways.

Whatever $30 will buy. Seriously.
We set this limit years ago, figuring that we, like all of HORT, have enough cheddar to afford to buy whatever we want. If we want something, we'll just buy it. No need to wait for Christmas.
So to make Christmas interesting and to see if we really know what the other likes, we can spend only $30 TOTAL on gifts. It's a fun challenge.

My wife's birthday is Dec. 30.

TOTAL BULL$%IT! 😬
My birthday falls on Father's Day quite often. It's more efficient compressing my gift-receiving disappointment into a single day. J/K, I don't really like getting gifts as we pretty much just buy what we want throughout the year.

We don't really do much anymore as we can never think of anything to get each outside of going on a trip together; however, I am going to order a "wine of the month" club. Pretty cheesy; but, better than trying to buy her jewelry or clothes. Can probably get better and cheaper wine at the store. Might go with this one.

Was going to go jelly of the month; but she doesn't eat breakfast often.

Nothing. We decided years ago to “gift” each other with a trip of our choosing in Dec/Jan/Feb and call it our Christmas present. That way we don’t have to buy shit for Christmas. We always buy gifts or things the other would want randomly through the year so we never have “needs”.

This year I did the same with my parents, sister, and one brother in law. I bundled up Christmas and their birthdays and got them each a 11 day Royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda, Nassau and CocoCay plus one excursion and one specialty meal. For Father and Mothers Day I paid for a second specialty restaurant and a second excursion.

We set this limit years ago, figuring that we, like all of HORT, have enough cheddar to afford to buy whatever we want. If we want something, we'll just buy it. No need to wait for Christmas.
So to make Christmas interesting and to see if we really know what the other likes, we can spend only $30 TOTAL on gifts. It's a fun challenge.
I would be in favor of this. We’d save $940. It’s stupid what she spends at Christmas on me, the kids and everyone else she buys gifts for. I’m the Grinch whose heart never grows any larger. Hate this freaking holiday. My only savior is online shopping so I no longer have to visit a retail store.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I like that

We don't really do much anymore as we can never think of anything to get each outside of going on a trip together; however, I am going to order a "wine of the month" club. Pretty cheesy; but, better than trying to buy her jewelry or clothes. Can probably get better and cheaper wine at the store. Might go with this one.

Was going to go jelly of the month; but she doesn't eat breakfast often.
That's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year through

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
We bought a new refrigerator on Black Friday along with a Roomba and a new mattress. Kids got a bunch of toys, wife got a current generation Apple Watch and stuff from Saks and dad got a PS5.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We are going to Colorado to ski in January. So that trip and all the winder/ski clothes we have to buy will be a lot of Christmas. We have also done a lot of things this holiday like been to two plays, going to the Zoo lights with the entire family next week, staying a couple nights at the Marriott Marquis where they heated up the Texas shaped moving river and have the pool area decorated, etc. I did buy her a pretty kick ass Nerf gun to go along with the ones I got the kids so she can mow them down with nerf arrows in the backyard.

Couple of lame dash o's here, but the wife and I have never exchanged gifts since married. If she needs/wants something, she buys it. So there is really nothing to get her that isnt forced.

Nothing. We decided years ago to “gift” each other with a trip of our choosing in Dec/Jan/Feb and call it our Christmas present. That way we don’t have to buy shit for Christmas. We always buy gifts or things the other would want randomly through the year so we never have “needs”.

This year I did the same with my parents, sister, and one brother in law. I bundled up Christmas and their birthdays and got them each a 11 day Royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda, Nassau and CocoCay plus one excursion and one specialty meal. For Father and Mothers Day I paid for a second specialty restaurant and a second excursion.
I need to adopt you as my adult son.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
My wife's birthday is Dec. 30.

TOTAL BULL$%IT! 😬

My wedding anniversary is the day after Christmas. I usually double-dip on the presents...vacuum cleaner for Christmas paired with carton of vacuum bags for anniversary...dishwasher matched with box of detergent...washing machine with Tide pods...clothes dryer with Bounce sheets.
She is a lucky broad.

I got Mrs. Lucas one of those heated vests for tail gating. Anything else she'd have bought already. It's a thoughtful husband who makes sure the wife is nice and warm while watching him pound beers in 20 degree temps before an Iowa football game.

Reactions: bluestarhwk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT