ADVERTISEMENT

What did John Smith say???

razorsedgeCE

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2017
My apologies if this has already been addressed in another thread, but just finished watching the match on my DVR, just curious as to what John Smith got the team point deducted for? Wasn't sure if maybe someone was there and saw/heard what he said??? I'm curious as to where the NCAA draws the line as to how far a coach can push the limits and question calls...obviously coaches are entitled to question a call if necessary right?

Was told by somebody sitting at the scorers table that Smith uttered "BS", except it was the full word. Apparently the ref had laid down the law before the meet, explaining to both coaches what was and wasn't acceptable. Swearing at him was a line they were told not to cross.

Heh I'm okay with the team point. I'd also be okay if a couple of the Iowa coaches got hit with it from time to time as well. Some of the antics of these head coaches are a little ridiculous.
While I think it's good to keep coaches in line and makes wrestling seem more "professional" than other sports, it's way out of line with what coaches in other sports are allowed to do.

I'd like to see a coache have a little more leeway questioning calls and arguing his point. Because excessive conferencing between a ref and a coach could give an unfair lung time for a wrestler, I don't think the ref needs to stop action, but allowing coaches to complain a little is okay with me, especially seeing how poorly officiated some of these matches have been.

While I think it's good to keep coaches in line and makes wrestling seem more "professional" than other sports, it's way out of line with what coaches in other sports are allowed to do.

I'd like to see a coache have a little more leeway questioning calls and arguing his point. Because excessive conferencing between a ref and a coach could give an unfair lung time for a wrestler, I don't think the ref needs to stop action, but allowing coaches to complain a little is okay with me, especially seeing how poorly officiated some of these matches have been.

Agree with this 100%. I think the officials in wrestling are some of the most thin skinned of any sport. I know in HS even questioning them can get you warned unfortunately. The level of officiating we are seeing does warrant more than a little questioning IMO, though I'm not sure cussing at the ref is ideal.

Agree with this 100%. I think the officials in wrestling are some of the most thin skinned of any sport. I know in HS even questioning them can get you warned unfortunately. The level of officiating we are seeing does warrant more than a little questioning IMO, though I'm not sure cussing at the ref is ideal.

Regardless of the level of reffing getting a warning then coming back and dropping a Fn BS on the ref, well I'd say the team point deduction was pretty well a given.

I prefer this to the crap you see from coaches in FB and BB. It's harsh and keeps college wrestling from becoming WWE.

Regardless of the level of reffing getting a warning then coming back and dropping a Fn BS on the ref, well I'd say the team point deduction was pretty well a given.

I prefer this to the crap you see from coaches in FB and BB. It's harsh and keeps college wrestling from becoming WWE.
Totally agree with cursing, I think it's unprofessional and has no place in college sports from coaches or athletes, no mater what the sport. And in case someone should think I am a teetotaler, I curse all the time, I just believe that college sports draw a more family friendly crowd than pro sport and that needs to be reflected on the mat, court and field.

That being said, taking a team point for (non cursing) questioning of an official or giving a bench warning after questioning a call 1 time, seems too harsh a penalty to me. I don't mind coaches being passionate and fighting for their guys especially since the level of coaching right now is far better than the level of officiating.

And taking a team point is silly. Eject the coach if need be, but I don't see how taking a point off the board is fair or consistent with any other sport. Since this might not really be a team penalty, you might make 1st tie break criteria be "1 - Was your coach still on the bench at the end of the meet?":rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, good stuff!!! I like to see coaches get fired up sometimes, thinking back to the Gable Era. If that's the coaches personality/style I think it gets the fans into it a bit more. If that's not your thing, obviously someone like Cael has a more reserved personality that's fine as well. Coaches should be able to question without the refs being too sensitive in my opinion. I remember a few years ago (I think it was the Big Tens) Terry Brands sprinted over to the edge of the mat, bellowing "2!!!!" over and over again with his finger and thumb pointed at the mat for an overtime win, and he took some heat for it, I got a good chuckle out of it and thought that it was pretty cool!

Reactions: Dagboi
Thanks for the input guys, good stuff!!! I like to see coaches get fired up sometimes, thinking back to the Gable Era. If that's the coaches personality/style I think it gets the fans into it a bit more. If that's not your thing, obviously someone like Cael has a more reserved personality that's fine as well. Coaches should be able to question without the refs being too sensitive in my opinion. I remember a few years ago (I think it was the Big Tens) Terry Brands sprinted over to the edge of the mat, bellowing "2!!!!" over and over again with his finger and thumb pointed at the mat for an overtime win, and he took some heat for it, I got a good chuckle out of it and thought that it was pretty cool!

Don't tell me you missed Terry ACTUALLY poking a ref in the back as one of our guys was getting some backs earlier this season in a meet. Help me out here guys. What meet? What match?

Pics...........

Reactions: razorsedgeCE
I was sitting in the student section (not a student) behind the OKst bench. Smithers was upset about pretty much every call, paced back and forth the entire time. Some of the calls definitely seemed like they favored us but nothing crazy.

I dislike the penalty point, I like the fire.

Don't tell me you missed Terry ACTUALLY poking a ref in the back as one of our guys was getting some backs earlier this season in a meet. Help me out here guys. What meet? What match?

Pics...........
No way I missed that, I gotta see it, classic ha!

Pics...........

Illinois on the Stoll pin I think.

BTW, for those visitors from other teams, we got on Terry quite a bit for doing that and that he should have gotten called for it. I like that our guys get excited...but the Brands Bros are the most criticized coaches when it comes to this stuff. They better mind their P's and Qs because the "Whatabouthims" are out in full force. Should John gotten called? I wouldn't have but then I didn't have a reported conversations with both staffs laying it out before hand.

I'd be fine with a chair to the face or a table spot every now and then.......especially if it was against Penn State. :)

My gawd, Carver would mark out if Sanderson was arguing a call in a close match and Dan Gable came out and just bashed him with a chair and gave him two middle fingers ala Stone Cold.

I was sitting in the student section (not a student) behind the OKst bench. Smithers was upset about pretty much every call, paced back and forth the entire time. Some of the calls definitely seemed like they favored us but nothing crazy.

I like Smith having to stew about calls and losing....................because I don't like Smith.

Thanks for finding that.......Teamwork!

1461609509445136_animate.gif

And taking a team point is silly. Eject the coach if need be, but I don't see how taking a point off the board is fair or consistent with any other sport. Since this might not really be a team penalty, you might make 1st tie break criteria be "1 - Was your coach still on the bench at the end of the meet?":rolleyes:

This is a great idea. I agree eject the coach from the meet don't take a team point. What other sport takes a point away from the team if the ref argues with the official?

Fran would t be let back in Carver at this point. I thought the call was petty, I’m not for it. And I don’t see how that is about control of mat at all, I thought that was for walking on the mat.

And to be fair, coaching in Carver has to be one of the most frustrating things out there for coaches.

I'd be fine with a chair to the face or a table spot every now and then.......especially if it was against Penn State. :)

My gawd, Carver would mark out if Sanderson was arguing a call in a close match and Dan Gable came out and just bashed him with a chair and gave him two middle fingers ala Stone Cold.

Cale has already thrown a chair. He's closer to Hulk Hogan than we might think.

Fran would t be let back in Carver at this point. I thought the call was petty, I’m not for it. And I don’t see how that is about control of mat at all, I thought that was for walking on the mat.

Smith knows the rules,it's not like he got Bo Borowski'd just because the ref doesn't like him. Once you're warned you better be on your best behavior...and dropping F bombs at the ref in college wrestling isn't gonna fly.

I fn curse all the damn time too but I agree that you can't have coaches out there cursing loud enough that fans can easily hear it. That being said, our refs are as thin skinned as they come. Hell in hs you can't even take them to the table one time for clarification or asking them how they saw the call without getting a misconduct warning.
Yet I coach football and there are coaches yacking at the officials every damn series...lol

Smith knows the rules,it's not like he got Bo Borowski'd just because the ref doesn't like him. Once you're warned you better be on your best behavior...and dropping F bombs at the ref in college wrestling isn't gonna fly.

Fran said worse at and to Borowski during that game than what posters on here say Smith did.

Smith walked on the mat during the Sorensen match, was warned, did it again in the Dawg match and was penalized.

Smith walked on the mat during the Sorensen match, was warned, did it again in the Dawg match and was penalized.

Also watched our coaches do the same. He wasn’t out there in the way, and some posters are claiming it was swearing at the red, so which is it.

Was told by somebody sitting at the scorers table that Smith uttered "BS", except it was the full word. Apparently the ref had laid down the law before the meet, explaining to both coaches what was and wasn't acceptable. Swearing at him was a line they were told not to cross.
Plus he had already been warned during the match - I think taking away a point was a bit strong but it didn't decide the meet anyways

Also watched our coaches do the same. He wasn’t out there in the way, and some posters are claiming it was swearing at the red, so which is it.
He was over the third of the mat in both instances. Ref warned him the first violation, clearly.

Tom was over once, after the end of the Sorensen match to ensure the scorer marked it a TF. The scoreboard at Carver did not indicate the last escape and takedown, showing BS up by 13 at the end of regulation.

He was over the third of the mat in both instances. Ref warned him the first violation, clearly.

Tom was over once, after the end of the Sorensen match to ensure the scorer marked it a TF. The scoreboard at Carver did not indicate the last escape and takedown, showing BS up by 13 at the end of regulation.

It was weird, scoreboard actually did show a 15 point win, but the wrong score.

ADVERTISEMENT