ADVERTISEMENT

What did John Smith say???

It was weird, scoreboard actually did show a 15 point win, but the wrong score.
The scoreboard at Carver showed 20-7 when the clock struck 0:00, because the last escape & takedown were not added. That's why Tom was over there - that and the point for riding time gave the Hawks the TF. The BTN chyron scoreboard counted Sorensen's last TD but not Lewallen's last escape, and had it 22-7 (before riding time).

If you watch the replay you'll see the coaches indicating the last TD and staring at the scoreboard, which hadn't changed, and only after the match did they go to the scorers. Contrast that with Smith, who went well over a 3rd onto the mat twice during matches, and drawing the 'control of the mat' calls.

Reactions: razorsedgeCE
The scoreboard at Carver showed 20-7 when the clock struck 0:00, because the last escape & takedown were not added. That's why Tom was over there - that and the point for riding time gave the Hawks the TF. The BTN chyron scoreboard counted Sorensen's last TD but not Lewallen's last escape, and had it 22-7 (before riding time).

If you watch the replay you'll see the coaches indicating the last TD and staring at the scoreboard, which hadn't changed, and only after the match did they go to the scorers. Contrast that with Smith, who went well over a 3rd onto the mat twice during matches, and drawing the 'control of the mat' calls.

I was at Carver. The score changed after the zeros, to a wrong but 15 point score, then corrected itself while Brands was complaining. Iirc, 22-7 then 23-8. That was on the big board over the mat.

If you’ve seen replay you have a better idea of how far Smith went out there. Regardless, he appeared to be in control on the night and there were moments when most coaches wouldn’t have been. Again, in my opinion, singing the team for that was silly and weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: razorsedgeCE
Cook was terrible, but that IMO is generally where he sets the bar.
The team point against Smith was weak. As a ref you really are not suppose to have rabbit ears.

It is getting a;most impossible t question an official in high school. I hope it does not get to the point in college. Let the emotions fly.

If you got o the table to ask a question, because sometimes in high school, you have no idea what was called and why, a lot of refs will hit you with a misconduct the first time and then a point, then 2 then throw you out after that. Now officials make horrible calls and you don't dare say anything for fear of getting thrown out.

When Smith went to the table at the end, he wanted to know why the call was blown dead and not a takedown. The ref said, what are you challenging. You threw the brick and you can't take it back. Had he just said, the other guy was off the mat and I had to stop it, it would have probably been the end, but he just said, "you threw the brick, what is your challenge."
It seems officials want to take the emotion out of the sport and coaches are emotional people by nature and heavily invested in the results. Hopefully, officials remain aware of this and act accordingly. Of course, lets hope the coaches don't go nuts also.

It is getting a;most impossible t question an official in high school. I hope it does not get to the point in college. Let the emotions fly.

If you got o the table to ask a question, because sometimes in high school, you have no idea what was called and why, a lot of refs will hit you with a misconduct the first time and then a point, then 2 then throw you out after that. Now officials make horrible calls and you don't dare say anything for fear of getting thrown out.

When Smith went to the table at the end, he wanted to know why the call was blown dead and not a takedown. The ref said, what are you challenging. You threw the brick and you can't take it back. Had he just said, the other guy was off the mat and I had to stop it, it would have probably been the end, but he just said, "you threw the brick, what is your challenge."
It seems officials want to take the emotion out of the sport and coaches are emotional people by nature and heavily invested in the results. Hopefully, officials remain aware of this and act accordingly. Of course, lets hope the coaches don't go nuts also.
Agree. The coaches have careers on the line. The refs have a part time job making extra cash for summer vacation. I don't condone coaches berating refs, but there is a difference in passion on the mat and everyone needs to realize the roles and emotions of the participants during a match.

When coaches are upset about a call, and are mouthing to the official, many officials here in PA will respond with, "Do you want to go the table?". Essentially saying, "Ok, that's enough. If you want to continue this we will walk to the table, you can state your case, and I will not change anything, and you will receive a warning." LOL

Watching Smith talk in the interview after the meet, I just assumed that the before meet pow wow with the coaches was to let them know they couldn't continually question things throughout individual matches to give their guys a lung time-out.

I think that happens way to much without throwing the challenge brick. I think other coaches do it against us to give their guys a breather. Ref took control and said NOT gonna happen. I agree with it.

That's why he made Smith challenge something rather than let him get a "free" timeout for his guy.

I think this is the way it should be. Let the wrestlers keep going and if the coach wants to use his challenge on something.......Fine. Just NO Free time-outs for a lunger.

I used to be a High School football official, was the side judge for a few years. Would hear the F bomb like it was the Kings English. Of course here in Northern NJ, it's as common as saying 'hello'. lol

Head Coach before game: hey Ref Mike, how the Fck are you?
Ref Mike : Fkn' A ! Coach, how the fck are you and your fkn' family?

Last edited:
In other news, the Iowa Men's Basketball team was in action last week scoring negative 17 points which can be attributed to poor free throw shooting and Fran's verbal abuse of anyone that would listen.

That challenge was clearly a frustration challenge, and I thought they had a point. Why the heck isn't the mat extended there? If Stoll can split out far enough to reach hardwood, that should be a problem.

Reactions: Dagboi
Watching Smith talk in the interview after the meet, I just assumed that the before meet pow wow with the coaches was to let them know they couldn't continually question things throughout individual matches to give their guys a lung time-out.

I think that happens way to much without throwing the challenge brick. I think other coaches do it against us to give their guys a breather. Ref took control and said NOT gonna happen. I agree with it.

That's why he made Smith challenge something rather than let him get a "free" timeout for his guy.

I think this is the way it should be. Let the wrestlers keep going and if the coach wants to use his challenge on something.......Fine. Just NO Free time-outs for a lunger.
I heard on the TV Smith said- "Why did you blow the whistle? He was behind him." All the ref had to say was his foot was off the mat. I am guessing that Smith could not see it from across the mat and he deserved an answer. Not to be told - "what are you challenging?" Some times the refs have to be a little accommodating.
Also, we should factor that almost every challenge was upheld. Which means the ref missed about every call he was questioned on. That messes with an ego maniacs's or a ref's head.

Gable used to practically do back flips on the mat, and it was awesome!!! And it gets the fans excited too...Gable was always about making the sport more entertaining, and now the fun police are coming along to walk it back in my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT