ADVERTISEMENT

What do football players do in the summer?

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
What do the players do in the summer? Do they stay in Iowa City and get jobs and lift weights at the facility or go home? Are they free or do they have a routine they have to follow?

Iowa has S and C drills set up for all players. Most are enrolled in summer school. Very rare that a player goes home. Some may find part-time work but usually it is all s and C with classes

OGC.caf11dbeb0aea1cc8a021f0b5552c81a

Some go home for a copule of weeks after finals. Most all are in IC doing workouts and lifiting with plans from the coaches to guide them. Some take classes, some help with football camps on campus.
Yep. I remember going to the football camps a few years back, and you always had a couple athletes back working with you.

Iowa has S and C drills set up for all players. Most are enrolled in summer school. Very rare that a player goes home. Some may find part-time work but usually it is all s and C with classes
also flip flops, mopeds, ped mall.

not sure, but my theory is that they engage in I & I. (Navy slang. I will wait to see if anybody knows what it means)

How can they afford to just take classes and s&c? When I played in college I had to have a summer job just to make it.

Power 5 college players get a monthly stipend. Some as high as $400-500 per month. Iowa's is really low though.
I think the stipend is for room and board if not staying in dorm. Plus they get free snacks and beverages in football building. Non-alcoholic beverages of course

They get a stipend above and beyond room and board reimbursement.

Many also receive a Pell Grant which is additional money in their pocket.

I think the stipend is for room and board if not staying in dorm. Plus they get free snacks and beverages in football building. Non-alcoholic beverages of course

The room and board stipend is pretty generous. One can build in some additional spending money if they choose to live in modest accommodations.

I have a buddy who served as a tutor for the football team while a student at UF. One spring term as he was helping Emmit Smith prepare for finals he asked, “what do you have planned for the summer E?” Emmit looked up at him and replied, “sex, lots of sex”. #LOL #CSB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT