ADVERTISEMENT

What do the huskers have on offense and defense?

wildcard is if their AD follows suit (like wisconsin) and announces their interim hc as their permanent hc day before the game to jack up their guys to take a really meaningful game from iowa.
Trev wouldn't do that. Fuskers fans would burn his home to the ground.

All of the interim coaches know their time in Lincoln is almost finished.

Their QB ,Casey Thompson, is a good passer and can run if needed.
He had an injured right elbow so his durability is questionable.
Hawks need to pressure him ...if he goes out...game over.
They have a couple solid rbs.
Their defense sucked early in the season but have played better since the coaching change.
Hawks need to follow the recent script...get early lead and boa constrict their offense.

wildcard is if their AD follows suit (like wisconsin) and announces their interim hc as their permanent hc day before the game to jack up their guys to take a really meaningful game from iowa.
I don't see this happening. I'm not saying the guy can't coach, but rather the natives won't allow it. They want a "name" and some history behind the name.

I think this game will REALLY be about our defense. Their offense looks fairly average and our defense just came off of a game where they gave up a massive amount of yards on the ground. I look to the defense really taking it out on Nebraska. Phil will have them ready for a shutdown type performance. I think the only way we lose is if they win the TO battle and have very short fields.

Edit....I also think the crowd will be on fire. Loud and proud to win the West and we will see how the Nebraska offense responds to that as well.

Last edited:
Casey Thompson when ON is as good as any QB in the league imo. He has had some injury issues and hand problems so I guess we will see what QB we get. He is somewhat mobile too but not sure how much he will run considering injuries. Backup QBs are Smothers and Purdy (think he is done though). Neither are great

Palmer at WR is probably the best player in the league that nobody knows about or talks about. Will be a stud in the NFL. Not sure if I trust our DBs one on one all game- might have to bracket or shade a safety.

RBs- Decent combo of runners with Grant being the best imo.

TE- 83 Vokolek Iowa recruited as a transfer from Rutgers. Really tall kid and decent.

Defense is big up front but seem to get gassed quick.

#44 DE Garrett Nelson is a dude

#42 LB Henrich is a guy Iowa wanted pretty bad.

Secondary is nothing special

#89 is Iowa transfer Oliver Martin
#66 is Iowa transfer Ezra Miller

If Iowa needs to run the ball well and like always, win the turnover battle.

My cliff notes version

Casey Thompson when ON is as good as any QB in the league imo. He has had some injury issues and hand problems so I guess we will see what QB we get. He is somewhat mobile too but not sure how much he will run considering injuries. Backup QBs are Smothers and Purdy (think he is done though). Neither are great

Palmer at WR is probably the best player in the league that nobody knows about or talks about. Will be a stud in the NFL. Not sure if I trust our DBs one on one all game- might have to bracket or shade a safety.

RBs- Decent combo of runners with Grant being the best imo.

TE- 83 Vokolek Iowa recruited as a transfer from Rutgers. Really tall kid and decent.

Defense is big up front but seem to get gassed quick.

#44 DE Garrett Nelson is a dude

#42 LB Henrich is a guy Iowa wanted pretty bad.

Secondary is nothing special

#89 is Iowa transfer Oliver Martin
#66 is Iowa transfer Ezra Miller

If Iowa needs to run the ball well and like always, win the turnover battle.

My cliff notes version
Isn't Heinrich injured and done for the year? Yes, Iowa recruited him pretty hard.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyePillowBiter
LSU transfer Trey Palmer is Nebraska's best player at WR. He is a faster more talented David Bell.

Nebraska is basically Purdue with a slightly worse defense. I see a very tight 3-7 point game.
UN is NOT basically Purdue. Purdue has a plethora of talented receivers, UN has one.

Nevertheless, they will be up for the game. UN players and fans HATE Iowa.

Nebraska has some good players at the skill positions and Thompson can make some plays. But, much like us, their weakness is that o-line. On defense my opinion is that they lack talent at the LB position and the d line lacks quality depth.

To me this game is going to come down the linebacker play. Nebraska has some weapons to be able to make some plays and the QB can use his feet. They will not be able to consistently run the ball against our front and they will find themselves in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations. We should be able to produce some negative yardage plays against them which is again where this defense thrives. That is where bad things happen against our defense. Our linebackers are so good in coverage as well as spying a running QB I think that Thompson will have to try to do his work from the pocket.

Conversely, I think we will see the same game plan as in previous weeks. With LaPorta in or out it is not going to matter, they tight ends will be prolific in this one as they will continually match up against those Nebraska linebackers, a matchup we win. Our running game may not be productive early, but, it should get better as the game goes along.

Unless turnovers and/or special teams go against us, I see us winning something like 20-10.

This game just smells to me like one where Iowa will roll early and often on all sides of the ball.
in every season as oc, bf has delivered one game in which the offense produced an outlier points explosion.
49-points pu (2016), 55-points osu (2017), 63-points IL (2018), 49-points usc (2019), 49-points msu (2020), 51-points md (2021).
still waiting in 2022...

Baylor had Doyle in the backfield and I believe he got another TD reception last Saturday. Campbell should lobby for a try at FB. Ran pretty good with the ball.

On Iowa Live reran that interception and the return. They highlight all the Iowa players hustling and laying down blocks for Campbell. Riley Moss who helped tip the ball fell to the ground and got up and sprinted and laid two blocks on guys downfield to keep Campbell running. Was amazing blocking on everyone's part.

This game just smells to me like one where Iowa will roll early and often on all sides of the ball.
I see it the same way. We have everything to play for and they have zilch. We have a jacked-up Kinnick crowd in our favor that I think will mess with their offensive timing — not to mention our defense. Their D is undisciplined and susceptible to big gains. I expect even our relatively inept offense to put up some points. I think we force some turnovers and give them some short fields, too.

I see a highly motivated home Iowa team generally steamrolling a demoralized Husker squad. Basically a Hawkeye Thanksgiving party in Kinnick. Would be surprised if it were close or a NE win. Then, again, I expected Michigan to woodshed Illinois, so take everything I just said with a sizable grain of salt.

Hey. The BiG Ten West is in the line. Hawks will be ready. They will demolish the Fuskers and then go on the BEAT down O$U in the championship game. Then Iowa goes to Rose bowl if they happen to miss out on the CFB playoff.

LFG!!!!

in every season as oc, bf has delivered one game in which the offense produced an outlier points explosion.
49-points pu (2016), 55-points osu (2017), 63-points IL (2018), 49-points usc (2019), 49-points msu (2020), 51-points md (2021).
still waiting in 2022...
Hopefully saving it for the BIG Championship game.......

Both of their lines, both offense and defense are trash.

Not my opinion, that's what NE fans say.

Both sides are weak.

Establish and maintain a running game and we win.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyePillowBiter
Again, it will come down to not letting them be multidimensional with the run game.

Grant is a solid back and just needs a better OL to become more of a name in the conference. Thompson can scramble and we should remember what Smothers did to us in the 1st half of last year.

We HAVE to have a better effort in stopping the run and keeping their QB from evading pressure and keep drives alive with a scramble or a draw here or there for a 1st down.

Force them to throw and eventually we will turn them over, or at the very least we'll get them off the field sooner.

Then it'll be on whether the offense can continue to be the blind squirrel finding nuts for the 5th week in a row, except this week we could be doing it with even more players banged up, including LaPorta.........................

ADVERTISEMENT