ADVERTISEMENT

What does the 2 deep look like on the dline this year?

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Golston
Nixon
Shannon
Vanvalkenberg

Waggoner?
Lee?
Evans
Jacobus?

This isn't a prediction or projection...just wondering who we have and what this will look like?

Reactions: David1979
Its gonna be very interesting. Lots of freshmen and/or redshirt freshmen potentially in the mix - and we’ve recruited pretty well these last couple of years. Logan Jones, Deontae Craig, Yayah Black all look physically ready to go just to name a few. Austin Schulte will probably be in the mix too considering he played quite a few snaps. Chris Reames, Jake Karchinski, and Taajir McCall are all coming off redshirts.

And who knows - someone might just end up coming over from the linebacker unit. Jack Campbell or Jestin Jacobs have long, lean profiles and enough weight to potentially play DE. I expect all options on the table as no one on the DL has a union card coming in to next year.

LE Waggoner. Lee
LT Nixon. Shannon
RT Schulte. VanVulkenburg
RE Golston. Evans

Think this is where it's at right now. Really all 4 projected starters have from a Lot to a little experience. Joe Evans, N Shannon, plus the Freshman DE from Indiana could really be key, for the Hawkeyes, this fall.

I don’t have any qualms about our DE position as I think we are stacked with young talent. DT is a different story. The 4 mentioned above (Nixon Schulte Shannon & ZVV) will probably start out as our rotation. ZVV seems to be more of a DE in size but seems willing to get into the fight inside.

This may be the year the mortgage comes due, from moving Linderbaum to the offense.

I have heard no buzz about Karchinski. I am not even sure who else is waiting in the wings. Logan Jones and Isaac Bruce are True Freshmen that show promise, but we cannot really count on them.

Maybe the promising young DE’s like Logan Lee and Deante Craig need to moved inside and then redirect some of these bigger LB’s and move them to DE.

A grad transfer or Juco DT would be another answer. I don’t know if any are out there that would be a good fit.

Pretty sure Logan Lee is already playing inside.

DT- Nixon, Shannon
DT- Schulte, Lee, Jacobus

Logan Jones could possibly see some playing time as well.

We have had complete seasons where we rotated only 3 DT's - for example in 2015 with JJ, Bazata, + Faith. Of course having 4 is better, but with Nixon (break-out year?), Schulte and Shannon, that is a pretty good start. If just one more guy steps up to take some snaps, I think we are fine. Some our best defenses have had solid but unspectacular DT's. I think Bruce or Jones could become the 4th DT this year.

Reactions: kceasthawk
DE Golston , Evans
DT Nixon, Shannon
DT Waggoner, Shulte
DE Lee, VVB

Going out on a limb and guessing those guys as our best 4. As mentioned above, looking a bit thin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT