ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly was Frese's game plan vs Iowa?

Hawkhoops3

Scout Team
Aug 24, 2020
So basically Maryland came in here and said "We're gonna let Clark and Czinano do their thing but hold everyone else down?" With Warnock on the mend I don't get the game plan by Frese. You have a relative non-scorer for Iowa in Martin (she can go off at times) and a player who may as well stand at halfcourt in Marshall, but you don't double and triple team Monica? Really questionable from typically a good scheming Coach. Will be interesting what she cooks up for the return trip to MD.

So basically Maryland came in here and said "We're gonna let Clark and Czinano do their thing but hold everyone else down?" With Warnock on the mend I don't get the game plan by Frese. You have a relative non-scorer for Iowa in Martin (she can go off at times) and a player who may as well stand at halfcourt in Marshall, but you don't double and triple team Monica? Really questionable from typically a good scheming Coach. Will be interesting what she cooks up for the return trip to MD.
Hannah made a big impact on that game as well, I think Frese may have been a bit surprised by her athleticism, she lifted the Hawks up several times with her effort and efficiency. How did Hannah end up with zero rebounds? Also, she needs to work on her FT shooting, but I love her game and her attitude.

Gameplan or not I gotta believe Maryland just didn't have an answer to anything Iowa was doing to them. The outside daggers by Clark, the lobs inside to Czinano and especially the downcourt bombs to Stuelke when the Terps failed to get back on D. Iowa has so many weapons this season and each player understands her role. Marshall seems to be a bit shy this year when it comes to shooting the ball but she's still a thief on defense. Affolter is showing a lot of confidence and ball handling skills each time out. Personally I'd like to see McCabe get some more PT as she has shown 3-pt ability as well. Can't wait for the Hoosiers next week!

I realize MC's points are 95% of the time within 6' of the rim, but when a team shoots what our gals did (what was it, 63%?) that's tough to counter. I think Diamond getting benched with the 2 fouls relatively early was a major factor too.
Great ball movement for most of the night, and pressed the ball up the floor wonderfully! I'm with OP, though, Gabby's struggles are almost a detriment at this point. It's way too easy to take advantage of the switches on defense and get a big to post her up. She plays good defense, but is helpless when the switches to the point where she had no height. But her shooting and some of her decisions are just abysmal at this point. Poor kid.

Reactions: blackett73
Stuelke is getting more minutes as the season goes on. I like here and Monica together as it gives us 2 scorers and takes pressure off of Monica on defense. We had 3 players give us 83 of our 96 pts and 2 give us 70, so yes, not sure what Maryland's game plan was. Iowa has 2 absolute elite assistant coaches that we are so lucky to have in Phil Parker and Jensen. Nobody in the country is better with post players than her. The early work they do to get position in the post, the zero or 1 dribble and the shot is up, it's just incredible to watch and they've been doing it forever.

Stuelke is amazing. Why she isn't on the court more is beyond me. It almost feels like keegan murray's freshman year. Bluder needs to maximize her minutes.
Who would you sit? She's not a guard or ball handler so leave that position out. She more than likely has not played all that much from the perimeter so that is out. Only five can play at a time and often the position/minutes available don't match up. She is playing a role and seems to be excelling at this point.

Stuelke is amazing. Why she isn't on the court more is beyond me. It almost feels like keegan murray's freshman year. Bluder needs to maximize her minutes.
Because she is not able to shoot outside of 5 feet right now. She should definitely play more but if her and Czinano are on the court at the same time, her defender can drop off of her and clog up the middle.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Double-teaming Monica the entire game would be my game plan, and she was double-teamed at times last night. Thing is, they get the ball down the court so fast, and Monica sets up so early, she's scored before the double-team comes.

Double-teaming Monica the entire game would be my game plan, and she was double-teamed at times last night. Thing is, they get the ball down the court so fast, and Monica sets up so early, she's scored before the double-team comes.
This. In the first half Maryland was totally caught off guard by Iowa's pace. Iowa made them pay by pushing the ball down the court and getting high percentage looks before they were set up. Maryland was crashing the offensive glass *hard*, which earned them some second chance points, but it came at the expense of their transition defense, so it pretty much evened out.

That, combined with Clark's UNREAL shooting in the first half was just killer. Teams accept that Clark will make a couple long bombs every game, but the fact that she went 5-7 from three in the first half is ridiculous even by Clark's standards. A couple of those were wide open looks from the corner that were just inexcusable to allow, but even more were contested. Impossible to stop when she is on like that.

I would argue that Maryland didn't even guard our supporting cast that well, but you wouldn't know it from the box score. Molly, Kate, McKenna, and Gabbie all had wide open looks from 3 that they didn't convert. Usually they're money on those and it's Caitlin with the more inefficient numbers, but it was the other way around last night.

We're lucky we built up such a comfortable lead in the first half because we didn't play all that great in the second half. Their best defensive was pressuring the ball in the half court to force risky passes and swipe away careless dribbles. I would expect the Terps to ditch the press and try to slow the pace way down when we see them in College Park, which is more in line with how they played us last year.

As far as Maryland's offense was concerned, they also stuck to their gameplan better in the second half. Attacking the basket instead of settling for jumpers. If we went man, Sellers would just drive baseline. If we went zone, they'd get the ball to Miller at the elbow and let her drive at Monika. Both we never really stopped...

Last edited:
Is Addison O'Grady injured? She hasn't been on the floor as much this season.

Last edited:
Yeah, you have your quickest player play phone booth D on Caitlyn, force the drive and double Monica off of Gabby (don't bother guarding her).

So are we entrenched in the 1 in and 4 out offense? Referring to Stuelke(sp?) with Monica. That would be a C, and a PF. Clark at PG and Warner at SF. Must be someone else at the 2 besides Gabby. Anyway, just curious.

So are we entrenched in the 1 in and 4 out offense? Referring to Stuelke(sp?) with Monica. That would be a C, and a PF. Clark at PG and Warner at SF. Must be someone else at the 2 besides Gabby. Anyway, just curious.
Mostly, yes, but as Hannah's minutes have increased I've noticed we've been running a few more high/low sets between Monika and Hannah. Doubt we'll see them together as much as Gustafson+Stewart, for example, but it's nice to throw that look in for a few possessions to give opposing defenses yet another thing to have to scout and prep for.

Mostly, yes, but as Hannah's minutes have increased I've noticed we've been running a few more high/low sets between Monika and Hannah. Doubt we'll see them together as much as Gustafson+Stewart, for example, but it's nice to throw that look in for a few possessions to give opposing defenses yet another thing to have to scout and prep for.
Czinano also shot from the short corner more last night than she has all season. I think that will be a good way to find space with a Czinano/Stuelke lineup. She's a good shooter from the short corner, she just hasn't had to use the shot much throughout her career.

Last night the lobs to Czinano reminded me of the Gustafson years. Clark and Marshall both did it well. It may be that Maryland's big fronting her was not good enough, but Monica appears to be getting better at catching those passes. Hope that continues. Indiana's center Holmes will provide a more difficult challenge, though.

Reactions: jockos
This. In the first half Maryland was totally caught off guard by Iowa's pace. Iowa made them pay by pushing the ball down the court and getting high percentage looks before they were set up. Maryland was crashing the offensive glass *hard*, which earned them some second chance points, but it came at the expense of their transition defense, so it pretty much evened out.

That, combined with Clark's UNREAL shooting in the first half was just killer. Teams accept that Clark will make a couple long bombs every game, but the fact that she went 5-7 from three in the first half is ridiculous even by Clark's standards. A couple of those were wide open looks from the corner that were just inexcusable to allow, but even more were contested. Impossible to stop when she is on like that.

I would argue that Maryland didn't even guard our supporting cast that well, but you wouldn't know it from the box score. Molly, Kate, McKenna, and Gabbie all had wide open looks from 3 that they didn't convert. Usually they're money on those and it's Caitlin with the more inefficient numbers, but it was the other way around last night.

We're lucky we built up such a comfortable lead in the first half because we didn't play all that great in the second half. Their best defensive was pressuring the ball in the half court to force risky passes and swipe away careless dribbles. I would expect the Terps to ditch the press and try to slow the pace way down when we see them in College Park, which is more in line with how they played us last year.

As far as Maryland's offense was concerned, they also stuck to their gameplan better in the second half. Attacking the basket instead of settling for jumpers. If we went man, Sellers would just drive baseline. If we went zone, they'd get the ball to Miller at the elbow and let her drive at Monika. Both we never really stopped...
I think Maryland's biggest game plan flaw was settling for long jumpers early. Iowa sagged way off Miller, Meyers, etc. and dared them to shoot. The missed jumpers piled up and helped get Iowa out in transition. When they started attacking the basket, Iowa's transition O opportunities went down significantly.

In a way, Iowa's strategy was much like Phil Parker's for the football defense. Iowa gives teams short passes under theory that opposing offenses won't consistently execute those short passes for multiple drives per game.

Here Iowa banked on Maryland's shooters not being able to pass up wide open shots and that bad shooters wouldn't hit enough of them to hurt Iowa. That worked perfectly in the first quarter.

Reactions: undersized_post
Looked like to me that Maryland was grabbing hacking across the arms and then walk around like they didn't understand why a foul was called on them. The gal in the goggle type glasses was the best.
Oh and falling down while taking a shot like they were fouled.

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
Maryland had fifteen (15!) offensive rebounds. Its the same old story.

I love watching this team run and gun but Iowa is not a F4 team IMO because they cannot defensively rebound to save their focking souls.

Bluder should start and play Stuelke 30+mins.in order to shore up the rebounding. Its their only hope for a deep tourney run IMO. When you give up so many 2nd chance points to your opponent, you have to shoot lights out like they did against MD or you are likely in serious trouble. Good luck with relying on that in the tourny.

Reactions: DewHawk
At the start of the 2nd half Maryland did everything they could to keep the ball out of Clark's hands (double teamed her all over the court and left another player without the ball alone on the perimeter). I worked for about 6 minutes until Bluder finally called that timeout. But during that 6 minutes we saw a lot of turnovers by Iowa dribblers, very sloppy, and when Clark did get the ball late in the shot clock she rushed some passes.

Anyway, not sure if Maryland sort of ran out of gas but the timeout worked as Iowa regrouped, maybe spread the floor a little better so Clark could get the ball more, etc. And Iowa's defense coming out of halftime looked a step behind Maryland's energy but the hawks got tough on that end to.

Another really good win with only a couple of shaky segments in the 2nd half which I hope they learn something from on how to handle the big leads.

There is a good chance the Lady Hawks will get mugged in the NCAAs like last year against Creighton. Not sure what you all think but the officiating in women's is pretty uneven and even bad.

I love watching this team run and gun but Iowa is not a F4 team IMO because they cannot defensively rebound to save their focking souls.

Bluder should start and play Stuelke 30+mins.in order to shore up the rebounding. Its their only hope for a deep tourney run IMO. When you give up so many 2nd chance points to your opponent, you have to shoot lights out like they did against MD or you are likely in serious trouble. Good luck with relying on that in the tourny.
Iowa is actually a really good defensive rebounding team this year. They've had a Top 10 (out of 361 teams) defensive rebounding rate for much of the season. Not sure where that sits after last night (because HerHoopStats won't load for me at the moment), but last night wasn't the norm this season rebounding wise.

Reactions: LinusPF
Hannah made a big impact on that game as well, I think Frese may have been a bit surprised by her athleticism, she lifted the Hawks up several times with her effort and efficiency. How did Hannah end up with zero rebounds? Also, she needs to work on her FT shooting, but I love her game and her attitude.
Hannah is a big addition over last year

Yes, the double post players on the floor gives them high-low and cross the lane screening options and Cinzano looked very comfortable hitting the 10 footer. Cinzano can get a screen from Stuelke, catch the ball away from the basket, turn and shoot but if the defense doesnt adjust correctly it is just a dump down pass to Stuelke for a layup.

I agree with you on the poorer defensive rebounding last night but two things, Maryland did have two taller, very athletic players who were making it tough on the hawks in the lane and second, it seemed like too many times the lady hawks were blocking out too much instead of going for the rebound as many times 3 or 4 hawks would surround and watch a rebound hit the floor and a Twerp would scoop it up.

Reactions: nu2u

Iowa has improved their rebounding a lot this season but can still struggle at times with highly athletic players. They are currently #51 in rebounding margin (+6) this season and #9 in defensive rebounds which I believe are improvements from the past (NCAA stats). They out rebounded Ohio St 51-31 last week which has some athletic players too.

The biggest problem with Iowa's defense last night was when Diamond Miller or Shyanne Sellers brought the ball up the court. They didn't stop the ball or shade a wing over to help slow them down instead they just got going downhill which lead to most of Maryland's offense (27 and 26 points each). Molly Davis battled but is just too small to put out on an island against athletic bigger players like that.

Iowa is actually a really good defensive rebounding team this year. They've had a Top 10 (out of 361 teams) defensive rebounding rate for much of the season. Not sure where that sits after last night (because HerHoopStats won't load for me at the moment), but last night wasn't the norm this season rebounding wise.
We are currently 8th in the nation for defensive rebound rate at 76.1% and 9th in the nation for defensive rebounds per game at 30.9

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
At the start of the 2nd half Maryland did everything they could to keep the ball out of Clark's hands (double teamed her all over the court and left another player without the ball alone on the perimeter). I worked for about 6 minutes until Bluder finally called that timeout. But during that 6 minutes we saw a lot of turnovers by Iowa dribblers, very sloppy, and when Clark did get the ball late in the shot clock she rushed some passes.

Anyway, not sure if Maryland sort of ran out of gas but the timeout worked as Iowa regrouped, maybe spread the floor a little better so Clark could get the ball more, etc. And Iowa's defense coming out of halftime looked a step behind Maryland's energy but the hawks got tough on that end to.

Another really good win with only a couple of shaky segments in the 2nd half which I hope they learn something from on how to handle the big leads.

There is a good chance the Lady Hawks will get mugged in the NCAAs like last year against Creighton. Not sure what you all think but the officiating in women's is pretty uneven and even bad.
While that certainly could happen, I've been very impressed ( and hopeful) after our games against Maryland Ohio State, 2 athletic and physical teams that have kind of pushed us around in the past. As you said if you can get Iowa into a half court game that allows you to bang the post around much more and force us to grind in the half court game. To do that you have to be able to score and work the clock against us. If Iowa gets hot early and gets a lead we're really tough to beat, as we push the ball even on made baskets. I was amazed how many times we beat Ohio state down the court for an easy bucket after they had scored. And Stuelke gives us something we really didn't have last year. 13 rebounds against Ohio State and 13 points last night. These are big numbers and we didn't have that against the bigger more athletic teams last year.

Who would you sit? She's not a guard or ball handler so leave that position out. She more than likely has not played all that much from the perimeter so that is out. Only five can play at a time and often the position/minutes available don't match up. She is playing a role and seems to be excelling at this point.
When we had gustafson we played two bigs and went high low a lot. There is no reason you can't have 3 guards with czinano and stuelke for longer periods. She can take time from marshall and davis

Reactions: littlez
Because she is not able to shoot outside of 5 feet right now. She should definitely play more but if her and Czinano are on the court at the same time, her defender can drop off of her and clog up the middle.
who cares? her offensive rebound/defense and athleticism are off the charts good. Her rebounds per minute especially on the offensive end are amazing, so you take what you can get outside of 5 feet. Take her out at foul time though, no bueno.

When we had gustafson we played two bigs and went high low a lot. There is no reason you can't have 3 guards with czinano and stuelke for longer periods. She can take time from marshall and davis
Totally agree. She's a potential 1st team all conference player.

You would never put Cznano at the high post when she is in the game (far too valuable as a scorer by the basket) and I don't get the feeling Stuelke can play that spot yet. To be at the high post you have to be able to pass the ball and hit that mid range jumper. The fact is Stuelke is best running the court and playing down low. She will get plenty of time in the future. And just because she may be a better bball player than the two you mentioned, it does not mean their skills sets are not needed to be on the court. Marshall and Davis handle and move the ball on the perimeter - Stuelke does not.

Is Addison O'Grady injured? She hasn't been on the floor as much this season.
Stuelke is getting those minutes, and she's earned them. obviously she's more athletic and runs the floor better the O Grady, so she provides some extra juice.

ADVERTISEMENT