ADVERTISEMENT

What happened in Lebanon?

Who do you believe about Lebanon?

• Total voters

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Just curious what people believe happened in Lebanon. Watching a trump talking head talk to Christine Amanpour and wondering if anyone actually believes this nonsense that “his generals” told him it was a bomb attack.

Just curious what people believe happened in Lebanon. Watching a trump talking head talk to Christine Amanpour and wondering if anyone actually believes this nonsense that “his generals” told him it was a bomb attack.
How irresponsible can one get claiming that it was an attack, without any proof? (Was he doubting his intelligence agencies again? wth?) It is extremely dangerous for that kind of statement for such a tragic event in that part of the world.

Trump says it was an attack? I thought for sure he would say it was fake news and that a bomb didn't really go off; just a Democratic hoax started by Obama.

I still have years old empties I stuffed into a rarely used closet that I keep forgetting to put into recycling. I'm not proud of it. I imagine there's probably a couple of tons of ammonium nitrate lying around that I've forgotten about, too. To err is human, to forgive divine.

Israelis initially said it was a Hezbollah thing. I don't know what it was, but DJT wasn't the only one.

The disturbing part was those were the first words from Trump... without any proof.

But he is a "wartime President".:rolleyes:

In 2013 Lebanese authorities arrested a ship (pdf) that had been abandoned by its owner:

On 23/9/2013, m/v Rhosus, flying the Moldovian flag, sailed from Batumi Port, Georgia heading to Biera in Mozambique carrying 2,750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate in bulk.
En route, the vessel faced technical problems forcing the Master to enter Beirut Port. Upon inspection of the vessel by Port State Control, the vessel was forbidden from sailing. Most crew except the Master and four crew members were repatriated and shortly afterwards the vessel was abandoned by her owners after charterers and cargo concern lost interest in the cargo. The vessel quickly ran out of stores, bunker and provisions.
Owing to the risks associated with retaining the Ammonium Nitrate on board the vessel, the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal.

The ammonium nitrate was stored in a quayside warehouse. The picture shows the 1,000 kilogram big bags labeled "Nitroprill HD" in bad storage conditions at the 'Hanger 12' warehouse in Beirut.
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2020/08/beirut-blast-wrap-up.html#more

Reactions: Finance85
In 2013 Lebanese authorities arrested a ship (pdf) that had been abandoned by its owner:

On 23/9/2013, m/v Rhosus, flying the Moldovian flag, sailed from Batumi Port, Georgia heading to Biera in Mozambique carrying 2,750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate in bulk.
En route, the vessel faced technical problems forcing the Master to enter Beirut Port. Upon inspection of the vessel by Port State Control, the vessel was forbidden from sailing. Most crew except the Master and four crew members were repatriated and shortly afterwards the vessel was abandoned by her owners after charterers and cargo concern lost interest in the cargo. The vessel quickly ran out of stores, bunker and provisions.
Owing to the risks associated with retaining the Ammonium Nitrate on board the vessel, the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal.

The ammonium nitrate was stored in a quayside warehouse. The picture shows the 1,000 kilogram big bags labeled "Nitroprill HD" in bad storage conditions at the 'Hanger 12' warehouse in Beirut.
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2020/08/beirut-blast-wrap-up.html#more

This ^

That stuff was there for 6 years. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to start a fire nearby in the hopes of setting it off.

Isn’t it possible that people knew that this was there and targeted it with a smaller bomb knowing it would ignite into a bigger explosion?

Making both things true? The area was bombed and there was a bunch of Ammonium Nitrate stored there?

It was gross negligence. I'm not so sure you can still call that an accident.

Isn’t it possible that people knew that this was there and targeted it with a smaller bomb knowing it would ignite into a bigger explosion?

Making both things true? The area was bombed and there was a bunch of Ammonium Nitrate stored there?

No. It was malfeasance but the Government and the citizens are seeking regime change. The guy you are going to vote for spit out a falsehood. Just say that the guy you are going to vote for lies in a public forum about critical issues and you are ok with that.

Reactions: BelemNole
There were fires burning near the blast in the video for the world to see. Fires burning near the blast. A blast. Ammonium nitrate. Fires burning. A blast.

Seems like forensic 101 to me. But, missiles are sexy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT