ADVERTISEMENT

What Happened to Godfather's Pizza?

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Go back 30-40 years and it was one of the best. The place on Hwy 1 in IC was one of the best places in town and did robust business. I noticed over the last decade that all the sit down ones in Iowa have gone away. The only one I know of still open is on 1st Ave in CR. Other than that its strictly gas station pizza now. The pizza is similar but like a poor imitation of the old kind. As I recall the CR location is still decent. What happened to them and why? Is it Herman Cain's fault?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Go back 30-40 years and it was one of the best. The place on Hwy 1 in IC was one of the best places in town and did robust business. I noticed over the last decade that all the sit down ones in Iowa have gone away. The only one I know of still open is on 1st Ave in CR. Other than that its strictly gas station pizza now. The pizza is similar but like a poor imitation of the old kind. As I recall the CR location is still decent. What happened to them and why? Is it Herman Cain's fault?

The pursuit of higher margins and better local pizza options.

Like Pizza Hut, they went cheap on their crusts, sauces and toppings to compete with Domino's, etc. So, they no longer stand out for quality or price.

1st Ave Cedar Rapids location is still open and serving delicious Taco Pizza's. They have closed their other 2 locations in town. They don't advertise much which may be part of their problem. The cheaper national chains seem to have taken over. But more smaller places are popping up which hopefully will give people a reason to consider Godfather's again.

They are still around. It’s actually better than a lot of the other large chains such as papa johns, dominos, Pizza Hut and little Caesar’s.

Yeah, could be. So they got neither market.
I had a good friend who was the wheat flour buyer for the pizza crusts for Pizza Hut back in the 90's and early 2000's. He quit when they forced him to buy shit flour to save a few million a year. He then got hired by Wendy's to buy flour for hamburger buns. They did the same thing, so he left there. Now he is a VP of Purchasing for Blue Bunny Ice Cream in LeMars, Iowa. He'll retire there. They do not cut corners on ingredient quality.

Last edited:
I remember playing Pole Position and Joust at 1st Ave location as a kid while waiting for the pizza. Sometimes still get a HUGE craving for their Humble Pie that nothing else will satisfy

Like Pizza Hut, they went cheap on their crusts, sauces and toppings to compete with Domino's, etc. So, they no longer stand out for quality or price.
I remember growing up and we LOVED pizza hut in the 80s. Either my taste buds and innards have "matured" or they have gone the cheap ingredient route. I am sure it is the latter.

Mason City Godfathers is the GOAT and has the GOAT taco pie. I'll fight anyone that has a problem with that.

Happy Joe's remember playing pole position and Punch Out a ton there.

I've eaten at the Iowa City location a few times. Always with a group and we would get placed in their banquet room. Weird place, small room with dark brown paneling. Made me feel like a real gangster.

Carroll still has an elite one that you can sit down in.

Same location since it opened in the 70's...we used to go Godfathers's on Tuesdays and Happy Joe's on Thursdays after swimming at the Carroll Rec Center...had to stop in when we were back for my Grandpa's funeral a couple of years ago...

Reactions: HallofFame
saw they closed the one in Davenport on W Kimberly a few years ago...loved their lunch buffet while working next door at Phar-Mor in high school...

You can hate on me if you want. The only chain pizza place worth a damn is Domino’s. Their pizza is meh, but those sandwiches are off the chain.

The dessert pizza was the draw when I was a kid, really don't recall anything else about the food. I do recall the Simpsons arcade game.

Much like other national chains, they're abandoning sit down stores. Too much overhead building-wise - and the pizza buying public simply does not want to go and sit in store to eat chain pizza. Mom and Pop pizza, sure. But not chain pizza.

Secondly, I've always thought when they went away from the 3 level rotary ovens to a conveyor belt (which in turn never cooks that thick a pie thorough enough...especially the crust) - their pizza just plain isn't as good. 8 minute simply is not long enough.

When I was 18-19 I worked at the CR 6th St SW store, then the Town & Country store when it first opened in 1981. Back then, the 6th St store had the rotary oven...best pizza at that time I've ever had - you had to load the pizza and literally baby sit it until done. The carousel had a metal plate that turned...that style of oven got the crust done...think of it as a pizza stone...it absorbed heat and transferred it to the crust perfect.

The T&C store had the conveyor belt - no way to actually over-cook it (an oven for idiots I called it). The belt itself is a mesh, not a solid metal plate - and the burner elements were roughly 5-6 inches below the mesh belt/pizza pan. In short, less "direct heat".

When I made a pie for myself, the conveyor cooked a pizza in 8 minutes. I'd take my pie, open the side door (there for cleaning etc), and throw it back in for 4-6 more minutes. Obviously - they do not do that ever for customers.

Initially, we got a lot of complaints/requests about "my pizza isn't done" or "cook it well done please".

Third...one can get the closest mass produced comparison to theirs (Casey's) just about everywhere in much of the exact same footprint.

I'm betting Godfather's doesn't make it as a company past 2025, which is sad. Back in the day, they were easily the best chain pizza around.

It’s like that with a lot of fast food places. Decades ago McDonald’s was known to have a decent burger.

Easily my favorite growing up. A Godfather's pizza feels heavy, so you're getting more pizza for more cost. Frankly, I find myself just as happy with a little less pizza for a lot less cost though I sti really like their pizza when I have it.

Happy Joe's now...

Reactions: GOHOX69
It was a big deal in Parkersburg in 2005-2006ish when the truck stop south of town just north of 20 opened up and it had a Godfather's / Arby's combo to go with the beer cooler and gas station stuff. Before that, Pburg has Pizza Ranch (hot garbage all the way up until God's merciful 2008 tornado) and the ok local place.

People used to somewhat consider Pizza a dine out option. The one on Hwy 1 in IC was a Shakey's in the 70's with a huge fireplace. Some places are still but none of the chains are anymore it seems.

Mason City Godfathers is the GOAT and has the GOAT taco pie. I'll fight anyone that has a problem with that.
I’ll drink to that.
Mason City had both Happy Joe’s and Godfather’s in Proximity of each other within walking distance of the high school at the world famous Regency Square Mall.
Post Mohawk football games on a Friday night meant both places were stuffed with patrons.
Good times.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Does Godfathers still do deep dish? When I was a kid, Godfathers opened a place in our mall in 1980. It was all deep dish, thick crust and covered in cheese. When I visited Godfathers in IC 20 years later, seems like it was all thin crust.

Back in my college days at BV in Storm Lake Godfathers was the go to pizza to cure a hangover. Good stuff. And also honey kissed pizza.

There's still a sit-down Godfathers in Fort Dodge right next to the DOT office, and about a block away from the mall.

Apparently, it still does decent business (I'm told) despite the fact that I never see many cars there......ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT