ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the NRA?

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
From wiki:

1934–1970s​

After the passage of the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, the first federal gun-control law in the US, the NRA formed its Legislative Affairs Division to update members with facts and analysis of upcoming bills.[35][36] Karl Frederick, NRA president in 1934, during congressional NFA hearings testified "I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. [...] I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses."[37] Four years later, the NRA backed the Federal Firearms Act of 1938.[38]

The NRA supported the NFA along with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), which together created a system to federally license gun dealers and established restrictions on particular categories and classes of firearms.[39] The organization opposed a national firearms registry, an initiative favored by then-President Lyndon Johnson.[38]

1970s–2000sEdit

Until the 1970s, the NRA was nonpartisan.[40]Previously, the NRA mainly focused on sportsmen, hunters, and target shooters, and downplayed gun control issues. During the 1970s, it became increasingly aligned with the Republican Party.[40]After 1977, the organization expanded its membership by focusing heavily on political issues and forming coalitions with conservative politicians. Most of these are Republicans.[41

Reactions: BelemNole
LaPierre misappropriated a lot of money, and the NRA has been racked by infighting for years.
Nice to see.

That quote from the NRA President in 1934 about not backing the promiscuous carrying of guns and not packing heat himself might as well be from a Martian.

I’d actually get behind the NRA of yesteryear - teaching gun safety and backing responsible gun use. The NRA getting in bed with gun manufacturers and taking its marching orders from countries with a vested interest in Americans blowing each others’ heads off really hasn’t been great for anyone, has it?

The NRA is basically a huge lobbyist group. I’m certain most NRA members are not someone I would care to socialize with, however, I’m a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment. Because of that I actually am glad they exist. I wonder if Chinese citizens had the right to bear arms, would China still be the oppressive hell It is today? Or would the people take up arms and liberate themselves from oppression?

Sell outs responsible for massive numbers of deaths and human losses due to their disgusting political lobbying power.
Nasty, unapologetic, killers. They have convinced untold decent people to turn blind eyes to routine killings in the name of “2cond amendment rights.”
Three kids today at a Christian “Charter School“. The killer learned her way of life at the same school.
Who really wants more guns?
Go ahead and defend today’s killer. You know you will find some twisted way to defend her rights to have and use the gun.

They got busted, taking money from Russia, and now, without money, they’ve lost most of their power.

Seriously… Russia… who’s primary goal is to weaken the United States and make it as terrible as possible… Thinks one of the best ways of doing that is giving money to the NRA.

Why do our enemies want us to have guns? Does helping us kill each other serve them or us?

That quote from the NRA President in 1934 about not backing the promiscuous carrying of guns and not packing heat himself might as well be from a Martian.

I’d actually get behind the NRA of yesteryear - teaching gun safety and backing responsible gun use. The NRA getting in bed with gun manufacturers and taking its marching orders from countries with a vested interest in Americans blowing each others’ heads off really hasn’t been great for anyone, has it?
I used to be an NRA member but dropped my membership when it became obvious that lobbying was the only thing they wished to do. I would suggest some read this book although the people who need to read it probably don't read books. I'm sure dimKim will soon outlaw it in Iowa.

Seriously… Russia… who’s primary goal is to weaken the United States and make it as terrible as possible… Thinks one of the best ways of doing that is giving money to the NRA.

Why do our enemies want us to have guns? Does helping us kill each other serve them or us?

I'm not sure our enemies want us to have guns; l think they see in the NRA a conduit to spread campaign funds to their preferred candidates.

Reactions: Rudedolph
Was hoping it would cripple the NRA and reduce their influence but seems it did not affect them at all.
They were greatly reduced in 2020 and 2022. At least in the national scene.

341485106_5845179758944188_64614265798657718_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT