ADVERTISEMENT

What happens IF B Ferentz has a bad year?

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
I hate to post the negatives but being his first year under the OC, let's say Iowa takes a monster nose dive.. who gets the brunt of the blame? KO OR BF? As I said I hate posting negatives and don't see a disaster heading that way but this is common and happens.. unfortunately it could but my magic crystal ball doesn't see it that way (umm yeah ok ok I know)

I think some simplicity is needed in the passing game.. GD was awful and too complex with minimal results.. IOWA needs to open up the passing game as I think we will be more than fine with the running game... but to add a compliment to the running game you need to have some what of an existing receiving game (duh) X &O's Simple ... might be tough sledding with so many new faces besides for JV but we need some deep ball threats more importantly some receivers that can run correct routes for that to happen

Can't be much worse than what we've had. Some loud fans will point to BF, but it's not like Iowa is oozing talent at the WR position.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I see this as the proving grounds whether Brian can validate he's a legitimate contender for the HC position once his father retires.

He does well and he becomes a (the?) leading candidate.

He does poorly and the AD needs to actually pay attention during the HC interviewing process.

I hate to post the negatives but being his first year under the OC, let's say Iowa takes a monster nose dive.. who gets the brunt of the blame? KO OR BF? As I said I hate posting negatives and don't see a disaster heading that way but this is common and happens.. unfortunately it could but my magic crystal ball doesn't see it that way (umm yeah ok ok I know)

I think some simplicity is needed in the passing game.. GD was awful and too complex with minimal results.. IOWA needs to open up the passing game as I think we will be more than fine with the running game... but to add a compliment to the running game you need to have some what of an existing receiving game (duh) X &O's Simple ... might be tough sledding with so many new faces besides for JV but we need some deep ball threats more importantly some receivers that can run correct routes for that to happen
Learn from the mistakes, make adjustments and head into year 2. That would be the worst case scenario.

Nothing happens. This is Iowa where expectations are low. Iowans get giddy with the occasional pleasant surprise. Look at who runs the athletic department, he doesn't exactly ooze demanding greatness and Brian reports to Gary not Kirk per Iowa law.

I literally am having a hard time imagining the offense getting worse. The worst case scenario is that the offense stays the same, with a QB who takes too many sacks and refuses to attack the middle of the field, defenses put 9 in the box to stop Wadley (and have success this time) and Iowa's PPG drops below 20. Even then, we probably still win at least 4 games, blame the QB, injuries, our non-existent receiving core, the weather, and the other new assistants, chalk it up to a learning curve and do nothing.

I would think that more heat would be on Phil Parker. If Iowa fares poorly ... then that would also indicate that the D isn't doing its job as well as we'd expect.

As for Brian, they'd give him a break since it would be his first year.

It could happen, but BF has also been working with these seniors in some capacity all 5 years. It's not like a new guy coming in.

If BF drops a turd, he should go to his old man and have him fire two coaches and hire two recruiters. These two should be able to sell conservatism to the Iowa faculty, sleep in airports, drive 12 hours in a blizzard and live in a tent in a good recruit's front yard.

Iowa will have a rookie quarterback this season and
nobody knows who that will be. This is a crucial
position for the offense and the Hawkeyes can not
afford to have a bad QB. The OC will need to have
a good running game to take some pressure off the
QB. It should be an interesting season for Brian
Ferentz.

Iowa will have a rookie quarterback this season and
nobody knows who that will be. This is a crucial
position for the offense and the Hawkeyes can not
afford to have a bad QB. The OC will need to have
a good running game to take some pressure off the
QB. It should be an interesting season for Brian
Ferentz.
rookie QB and 1 proven WR...could turn out well, badly or inbetween.

I'm not sure how anybody could blame the defense? They have been our strength for years. It is the offense that has traditionally not pulled its weight in the KF era (there are a couple of years where they did, and amazingly those are Iowa's best seasons!)

As for what happens if the offense stinks this year? Well, I think it will mostly fall on the WRs and the response will be that Iowa needs to recruit better athletes for this position as well as coach them better once they arrive. Some will blame the QB, which, to be honest, CJ didn't look so great in 2016 either and if it weren't for the flashes of brilliance in 2014 and a wonderful year in 2015, most here (including me) would have been calling for a backup to see some more time. I don't think that's a bad thing to call for - hell, "every other" position lets guys rotate in and out during the game, why can't Iowa occasionally rotate a guy in for a couple of series?

A certain segment of the fan base would give Brian at least a 5 year honeymoon and continue to assign blame to anyone but Brian.

Respectfully disagree. If this Offense isn't humming in 2 years, the pitchforks and torches will be out. I am looking for offensive improvement this year and an offense that will pass the eyeball test. 2 years from now I want precision and results.

Respectfully disagree. If this Offense isn't humming in 2 years, the pitchforks and torches will be out. I am looking for offensive improvement this year and an offense that will pass the eyeball test. 2 years from now I want precision and results.
You probably aren't among the segment he is referring to.

I think we will see a lot of punts on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs......we are really going to catch the defense with their pants down- the loyal hawk fans on rivals will finally have an unpredictable offense that we have been hollering to have for years and the best part is we will have a stable full of 5 * punters in the program. With an average of two 5* punters and at minimum 1 4* long snapper signing every year we will finally have our coveted top 15 recruiting class. I mean what punter wouldn't want to break every NCAA record known to man! I can't wait. Unpredictable offense + 4-5 * recruits + top 15 recruiting rankings = Finally peace and happiness in our forums- Thank god for BF!

Lol.... Brian will be fine but the truth is it's the winning. You guys probably don't know this but after the North Dakota state championship game I searched out one of their boards they all were complaining about Tim Polasek and how he wasn't any good...LoL Let that sink in....hell we were all giddy and wished he was offensive coordinator for us and by the way Greg Davis was a hell of a coach in Texas it's funny after he was the scapegoat for Mack Brown that team was never the same and the offense got worse and worse the Truth is fans aren't smart enough to do anything other than blame the head coach, quarterback or the coordinators that's it.

And the only way they know how to complain or should I say when they complain is if we don't win.... pretty simplistic as in way way way too simplistic!

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Lol.... Brian will be fine but the truth is it's the winning. You guys probably don't know this but after the North Dakota state championship game I searched out one of their boards they all were complaining about Tim Polasek and how he wasn't any good...LoL Let that sink in....hell we were all giddy and wished he was offensive coordinator for us and by the way Greg Davis was a hell of a coach in Texas it's funny after he was the scapegoat for Mack Brown that team was never the same and the offense got worse and worse the Truth is fans aren't smart enough to do anything other than blame the head coach, quarterback or the coordinators that's it.

And the only way they know how to complain or should I say when they complain is if we don't win.... pretty simplistic as in way way way too simplistic!

Holy run-on sentences batman!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT