ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if this occurs this fall.

When if's and buts are candy and nuts, everyday will be Christmas.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....errrrr....if my aunt identified as my uncle she'd be my uncle.

in a world where everything is possible...maybe.

dont-hold-your-breath-dont-count-on-it.gif

Petras has proven he can lose.

Padilla hasn’t.

Until Alex proves that he can lose games, there’s no reason to assume that he would automatically lose any game.
This is such a dumb argument. Padilla was horrendous against Illinois and Nebraska, and mediocre at best against Minnesota. I’m by no means a Petras fan, but you could argue that we won in spite of Padilla in the 3 games I mentioned.

yea... Drew Tate is very high on Spencer Petras... and so am I.
he's got everything you want in a starting quarterback and is a proven winner.
now he's hungrier than ever and I'm very excited about this year's team.

I think its been a long off-season and people have forgotten how good Spencer Petras can be at times.

next time Spencer Petras does an interview... listen to him.. he's got that "it" factor that very view ever have.

he's gonna prove a whole bunch of dumb people wrong.
I saw that it factor on his last pass of the season in the bowl game. It was horrific.

The kid’s never lost a game.

Play the winner until somebody can finally beat him.

Petras had really nothing to do with the comeback at Nebber.
People complain that Petras is not the answer because he is only a 57% completion passer. Well, Padilla only completed 50% of his passes, so I don't see him as an improvement on Petras. I am not defending Petras, however neither are going to the saving grace for Iowa football. However, Petras has a decent w/l record, been to camps trying to improve, has much more experience then Padilla, so I would go with Petras at this point. The line will be the determining factor I think in Iowa's QB success. I would still like to see what Labas can do on the field.

If we get better line play and Spencer has time to throw that will help. Our two running backs run with more power than Tyler (we will miss his game breaking speed) which should translate into moving the chains more. Consistency from the offense would ne a nice change.
I liked TGood, but I think the Williams boys fit better in this offense, and both looked good against Kentucky

Why? He’s more mobile and accurate than Petras but still an average quarterback by B1G Ten standards.
Not nearly as accurate as Petras, really much worse in every statistical category. Now, Spencer's 57.3% was 90th in the nation. Where would that drop a guy with 49.1? Alex throws a low sidearm ball with weird spin. Much harder to be accurate at more than a few yards. Harder ball to catch and easier to defend.

Probably explains the terrible statistical accuracy. Spencer is below average by Big Ten standards. Alex is simply terrible by Big Ten Standards.

Total

CMPATTYDSCMP%AVGLNGTDINTSACKSYLRTG
1652881,88057.36.56710924-168117.3
5511263649.15.772228-4299.1

Reactions: ichawk24
The kid’s never lost a game.

Play the winner until somebody can finally beat him.

Petras had really nothing to do with the comeback at Nebber.

Petras has proven he can lose.

Padilla hasn’t.

Until Alex proves that he can lose games, there’s no reason to assume that he would automatically lose any game.

So, if I understand you correctly, Petras has nothing to do with the wins he's got because the defense wins those games, but your citing wins (in an extremely small sample) as evidence that Padilla is better?

Heard the same things about SP improvement last year and we all know how that turned out.

Give me Labas or the other new freshman. See what they got. After two seasons as QB1 it’s apparent SP doesn’t have it. And throwing him out there and expecting anything else is a disservice to the program, fans, and really Petras himself. It’s setting him up for failure, and I’m sure he’s a good kid.

Petras vs. Padilla:
  • Petras advantage:
    • Size
    • Arm strength
    • Catchable ball (Padilla seemingly can't throw a spiral which I think was a contributing factor to a lot of drops - Petras throws a very good looking ball)
  • Padilla advantage:
    • Mobility (doesn't rush for a lot of yards, but can escape pressure)
    • Throwing on the run
    • Pocket presence
  • Push:
    • Accuracy - Petras is better when his feet are set, which is why he is going to look a lot better in practice. But in a game there's a lot of throws where you don't have a clean pocket or lane to throw. Padilla is more accurate whenever a pass calls for a slight change in mechanics.
    • Reading a defense - sounds like Petras knows the offense better than anyone and generally knows what "should" happen pre-snap, but he has consistently shown that he cannot process information post-snap.

Personally, I would rather roll with Padilla or even Labas to see what they can do. I'm sure Petras looks great in practice because his biggest liabilities (pocket presence, throwing off-schedule) are not highlighted until you actually get in a real game. I see little reason to think that Petras can suddenly overcome his deer in the headlights issues. Padilla flashed decent pocket presence and an ability to extend plays. He doesn't have as much arm talent as Petras, but I can at least see some hope with Padilla to improve (e.g., work on his mechanical issues to throw a better spiral and understand the offense better to stay on rhythm).

I think its been a long off-season and people have forgotten how good Spencer Petras can be at times.

next time Spencer Petras does an interview... listen to him.. he's got that "it" factor that very view ever have.

?????????

"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈
If that happens I will gladly eat crow - and I hope I do get full on it, for the teams sake.

Give me Labas or the other new freshman. See what they got. After two seasons as QB1 it’s apparent SP doesn’t have it. And throwing him out there and expecting anything else is a disservice to the program, fans, and really Petras himself. It’s setting him up for failure, and I’m sure he’s a good kid.
This is it. Has Petras ever done anything that leaves you thinking, "Wow. No other QB on Iowa's roster could have done THAT!" I don't recall one single instance where such a thought has crossed my mind. OTOH, there have been innumerable occasions when I have had this thought: "Give somebody else a chance! How could they be worse?"

Way back in the dark old days under Bob Commings, Iowa had a QB named Tommy McLaughlin. After every loss, Commings would say something like this, "I don't know what happened. Tommy looks like a Heisman Trophy QB during the week."

Well, for one thing, McLaughlin was playing against the Iowa defense during the week. But the other thing is this, and it's true in every sport: Some guys are practice players, and some guys are gamers. And the only way to determine the difference is to give guys opportunities in games. KF signed off on the recruiting of every single kid on the roster, including walk-ons. If he thought Joe Labas worthy of a schollie, isn't he worthy of a getting a shot to prove himself on the field this season?

If Iowa had a Brad Banks or Drew Tate or CJ Beathard leading the offense, then Labas would simply have to wait his turn. But let's be honest: how does it feel to be buried on the depth chart behind Petras and Padilla?

We all know KF's MO. Labas won't take a meaningful snap all season unless Petras and Padilla are physically unable to play. And, IMHO, that's a shame.

This is it. Has Petras ever done anything that leaves you thinking, "Wow. No other QB on Iowa's roster could have done THAT!" I don't recall one single instance where such a thought has crossed my mind. OTOH, there have been innumerable occasions when I have had this thought: "Give somebody else a chance! How could they be worse?"

Way back in the dark old days under Bob Commings, Iowa had a QB named Tommy McLaughlin. After every loss, Commings would say something like this, "I don't know what happened. Tommy looks like a Heisman Trophy QB during the week."

Well, for one thing, McLaughlin was playing against the Iowa defense during the week. But the other thing is this, and it's true in every sport: Some guys are practice players, and some guys are gamers. And the only way to determine the difference is to give guys opportunities in games. KF signed off on the recruiting of every single kid on the roster, including walk-ons. If he thought Joe Labas worthy of a schollie, isn't he worthy of a getting a shot to prove himself on the field this season?

If Iowa had a Brad Banks or Drew Tate or CJ Beathard leading the offense, then Labas would simply have to wait his turn. But let's be honest: how does it feel to be buried on the depth chart behind Petras and Padilla?

We all know KF's MO. Labas won't take a meaningful snap all season unless Petras and Padilla are physically unable to play. And, IMHO, that's a shame.
For the life of me I still can't understand why our QB's are always tenured. It takes an injury to see a backup get meaningful minutes. Even against the cupcakes prior to big 10 season we rarely see backups play b/c we keep the games so tight with our low scoring and if we do see them play it's handoff to a rb to kill clock. I remember betting on Spurrier teams and the 3rd string QB would be tossing bombs late in 4th qtr to cover a 50 point spread. Would love to see Labas and Padilla get series early before big ten play. SP has had too many chances and need to know what else we got b/c someone on this roster is better than him.

It really doesn’t matter what Petras does at this point, some of these posters have already made up their mind and nothing will change that. It’s evident in this thread. The OP asked a very simple question and they refuse to answer it because it includes Petras.

Petras can go 24 for 27, throw for 250+ yards and 3 TDs and they will focus and complain about the 3 incompletions as well as a couple completions that weren’t perfect throws.

There is absolutely nothing Petras can do that will change their minds. So it’s time to give up on these posters and asking them their opinion because opinions like that don’t matter and don’t carry any value whatsoever.

This should have been a fun little thread, but it was ruined by these posters.

Reactions: F5n5
Everyone keeps stating mobility as a strength for Padilla, and while I'm not questioning that he has to be quicker than Petras I hadn't realized that his sack numbers are actually worse. Combined with less completions and a somehow worse TD/int ratio I really don't understand anyone claiming him as the best option. Ideally the team could have some sort of three headed monster that gives Petras, Padilla, and Labas multiple series in each of the first few games and then go from there. Granted a constant swapping doesn't give anyone a chance to get in any sort of rhythm but it's not like we've witnessed much of that the last year.5 anyway.

For the life of me I still can't understand why our QB's are always tenured. It takes an injury to see a backup get meaningful minutes. Even against the cupcakes prior to big 10 season we rarely see backups play b/c we keep the games so tight with our low scoring and if we do see them play it's handoff to a rb to kill clock. I remember betting on Spurrier teams and the 3rd string QB would be tossing bombs late in 4th qtr to cover a 50 point spread. Would love to see Labas and Padilla get series early before big ten play. SP has had too many chances and need to know what else we got b/c someone on this roster is better than him.

Other than the fact that it's flat out wrong....well, I got nothing. This is a demonstrably false statement.

Everyone keeps stating mobility as a strength for Padilla, and while I'm not questioning that he has to be quicker than Petras I hadn't realized that his sack numbers are actually worse. Combined with less completions and a somehow worse TD/int ratio I really don't understand anyone claiming him as the best option. Ideally the team could have some sort of three headed monster that gives Petras, Padilla, and Labas multiple series in each of the first few games and then go from there. Granted a constant swapping doesn't give anyone a chance to get in any sort of rhythm but it's not like we've witnessed much of that the last year.5 anyway.

I haven't seen Padilla do anything that makes me think he's the answer. The mobility thing comes from two things: One, Petras has near zero mobility, so Padilla is better in comparison, but he is still in the lowest quadrant in mobility. Second, ee does seem to throw well on the run, which is a plus.

For the life of me I still can't understand why our QB's are always tenured.
You cannot get it because it is not true. This is a lie, a huge lie, concocted out historical context that really existed in only 2 of Ferentz's 22 season. Jake C got beat out in two games. CJ eventually overtook future NFL QB Jake Rudock, who was playing at a high level. When else was a QB appointed and maintained although he was not the best QB on the roster?

Don't answer Brad Banks. That is the biggest lie of all because all the key guys, including BB himself, has said he was not ready to start. They just puke out the Michigan game like that's the only game in which BB played jr. year.

Reactions: Ree4 and ichawk24
"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈

th

Hell freezing over

We beat Illinois and Nebraska in spite of AP. The Illinois game from AP might be one of the worst QB performances under KF.

At least be consistent with your blame.
Your opinion about AP in Illinois game may be singular, as many others including notable sportswriters saw a slew of drops that very much contributed to his low completion percentage for that game. Need the link to read for yourself? And if you really want to talk about one of the worst QB performances under KF, look no further than our last game against Kentucky….

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Your opinion about AP in Illinois game may be singular, as many others including notable sportswriters saw a slew of drops that very much contributed to his low completion percentage for that game. Need the link to read for yourself? And if you really want to talk about one of the worst QB performances under KF, look no further than our last game against Kentucky….
They were both bad last year, as was the receiving corps. I'm not sure why this is even an argument. I will say that IMO Padilla throws an ugly ball which might contribute to some of the drops.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
I also remember the double move he threw directly at a safety and the numerous passes that were completely off target.

WRs drop Petras' passes too, but his completion percentage, while still bad, isn't sub .500.

Stop equating criticism of Padilla to praise of Petras. Petras is bad and Padilla is worse. Both things can be true.

Reactions: ichawk24
More mobile? Barely, and that's not a high bar to clear.

More accurate? Not even freaking close. 49.1% completion rate is abysmal, even with drops.
Yeah, I understand the concerns with Petras but nothing Padilla has shown puts him above Petras. Realistically, neither of them have shown they can handle the role and be a plus at this point.

I'm not sure why Padilla gets a pass but when talking about Petras, it is always about how the Defense and ST carried the team. It was true for both of them.

That is why everyone is clamoring for Labas to be the real deal. Because neither of them has been able to take control.

Yeah, I understand the concerns with Petras but nothing Padilla has shown puts him above Petras. Realistically, neither of them have shown they can handle the role and be a plus at this point.

I'm not sure why Padilla gets a pass but when talking about Petras, it is always about how the Defense and ST carried the team. It was true for both of them.

That is why everyone is clamoring for Labas to be the real deal. Because neither of them has been able to take control.
I think the reason everyone is clamoring for Labas is because they are sick and tired of shitting all over Petras and Padilla...
they want somebody new to shit on.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4

Yup. Some people just can't be consistent with their complaints, because they have it in their head that every single thing that ever goes wrong is the fault of either Petras, BF, or KF.

None of those guys are perfect, but lay the blame where it's actually due.

It really doesn’t matter what Petras does at this point, some of these posters have already made up their mind and nothing will change that. It’s evident in this thread. The OP asked a very simple question and they refuse to answer it because it includes Petras.

Petras can go 24 for 27, throw for 250+ yards and 3 TDs and they will focus and complain about the 3 incompletions as well as a couple completions that weren’t perfect throws.

There is absolutely nothing Petras can do that will change their minds. So it’s time to give up on these posters and asking them their opinion because opinions like that don’t matter and don’t carry any value whatsoever.

This should have been a fun little thread, but it was ruined by these posters.
Solid straw man argument you made there.

And multiple posters did respond to the OP's question, where is your contribution? Why do you refuse to answer the OP's simple question?! Ahhh!!!

I think the reason everyone is clamoring for Labas is because they are sick and tired of shitting all over Petras and Padilla...
they want somebody that might look better than what they've already seen out of those two.
FIFY

Padilla has started in 3 games in his career, and was thrown into big ten play. He didn’t have non-con to ease into things and gain some confidence.

I’m not making excuses for him and I don’t necessarily think he is the answer but I’m a bit baffled by people’s view here that he’s a lost cause because isn’t to Petras’ level yet. Maybe if he were to start from day 1 this season, that would give him the experience and confidence to surpass petras by the end of the season.

If we get better line play and Spencer has time to throw that will help. Our two running backs run with more power than Tyler (we will miss his game breaking speed) which should translate into moving the chains more. Consistency from the offense would ne a nice change.
How do we know that none of our RB's are as fast as Goodson? I'll be willing to bet though that they'll run harder, and block more willingly.....

Reactions: owenhawk
People complain that Petras is not the answer because he is only a 57% completion passer. Well, Padilla only completed 50% of his passes, so I don't see him as an improvement on Petras. I am not defending Petras, however neither are going to the saving grace for Iowa football. However, Petras has a decent w/l record, been to camps trying to improve, has much more experience then Padilla, so I would go with Petras at this point. The line will be the determining factor I think in Iowa's QB success. I would still like to see what Labas can do on the field.
Actually I think AP's % was more like 47%, so yea not good.....

Reactions: scotthawk1964
"they want somebody that might look better than what they've already seen out of those two."

so... what is the measure for "look better" ?
Petras is going to play.. and he's gonna be good, in my book.
I'm curious... whats the measure... and is it possible for Petras to meet that measure?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT