ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if this occurs this fall.

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈

"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈
Padilla gives me hope. But he won’t play.

Petras gives me zero optimism.

If Petras were to have a season like that, which we can presume the running game would have to produce in order for that occur, then Iowa could have a season like 2015 with hopefully a 2010 Orange Bowl result.

I’m not holding my breath.

The kid’s never lost a game.

Play the winner until somebody can finally beat him.

Petras had really nothing to do with the comeback at Nebber.
None of that is in dispute. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by gives you hope. Petras was undefeated last season until Purdue, but pretty much everyone agrees Iowa was undefeated until that time despite Petras. Regardless, what do you see in Alex that would be a significant upgrade to Spencer?

More mobile? Barely, and that's not a high bar to clear.

More accurate? Not even freaking close. 49.1% completion rate is abysmal, even with drops.
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. And the thought on accuracy was that Alex doesn’t have quite the egregious misfires and worm rapers that Petras does. Regardless, my point to Rocky was that Alex is not the significant upgrade to Petras that he thinks, which I assume you’ll agree on.

Reactions: Frosty7130
Lol

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. And the thought on accuracy was that Alex doesn’t have quite the egregious misfires and worm rapers that Petras does. Regardless, my point to Rocky was that Alex is not the significant upgrade to Petras that he thinks, which I assume you’ll agree on.

kind of hard to say when Petras has started 20+ games. If you let Padilla start 20 games I bet his completion % would go up. Petras' has not. We know who he is. Padilla at least showed some ability to get Arland Bruce & Keegan Johnson involved in the offense. Against NW he stepped up in the pocket and was able to complete some passes.

Any time Petras steps up in the pocket the ball is 10 rows into the stands.

yea... Drew Tate is very high on Spencer Petras... and so am I.
he's got everything you want in a starting quarterback and is a proven winner.
now he's hungrier than ever and I'm very excited about this year's team.

I think its been a long off-season and people have forgotten how good Spencer Petras can be at times.

next time Spencer Petras does an interview... listen to him.. he's got that "it" factor that very view ever have.

he's gonna prove a whole bunch of dumb people wrong.

If the line is as poor at pass protection as they were last year, I hope someone besides SP is at QB. If the line is above average at pass protection, I have confidence that SP can be productive and win 9+ games. We all know that SP isn't exactly fleet of foot, which is why he in particular needs solid protection.

We know the punting and kick coverage units will be good this year, but we don't know who our returners are and place kicker is actually a pretty big question mark, to me, right now.

I'm confident that the return game/pk game will be good, but I don't think we can call them a strength until we see it.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
None of that is in dispute. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by gives you hope. Petras was undefeated last season until Purdue, but pretty much everyone agrees Iowa was undefeated until that time despite Petras. Regardless, what do you see in Alex that would be a significant upgrade to Spencer?
"Despite Petras"? Didn't Petras throw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Nico Ragaini to win the Penn State game? Despite making a $Million bucks a year, Phil Parker can't figure out how to defend against Purdue.

Reactions: Ree4
Stop....a kid in his 4th/5th year in the program won't suddenly "find it".

The odds are against a breakout year for Petras but even 10-15% improvement in pass completions would be huge. And maybe he has had some QB Whispering coaching in the last 7 months.

Maybe it was a little thing like holding the ball too low and having a somewhat long, looping windup. Maybe some coach shortened his throwing motion and had him get much better consistency with his footwork which many times is his problem.

I dont see him being third team all american but if he can improve and be third team all big 10 then that can go a long way to winning those 3 to 4 games we might lose.

I am confident either way. Maybe Padilla got QB Whispered also and maybe both improved their quickness. Petras showed he could run decently on the QB draw for a TD against Indiana last year. But it takes him two strides to get up to speed.

Lamar Jackson type are up to speed when the lift their first foot and that is hard to find in a qb.

Reactions: haightt
Spencer, in theory, wins too.

Do you think Iowa beats Purdue if Alex had started? Wisconsin? Michigan? Doubtful. Kentucky? ….Yeah, maybe. But regular season and BTCG Iowa loses all three regardless.
Petras has proven he can lose.

Padilla hasn’t.

Until Alex proves that he can lose games, there’s no reason to assume that he would automatically lose any game.

What happens if Petras becomes an All American? I'm guessing the sun sets in the East and hell freezes over as well. Anything can happen I guess.

Stop....a kid in his 4th/5th year in the program won't suddenly "find it".
There was a QB at Michigan decades ago that really didn't get IT with the Wolverines. Suddenly, as a Senior, he lit the conference up and then was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft. Can't remember his name right now, but I think he did well in the NFL. Maybe, just maybe, a Senior quarterback from Iowa can get IT in his senior year. Stranger things have happened. Chip, chair and a chance is all this Hawk team needs ! 😎❤️🏈

giphy.gif

As many have already said, if our offense would just be average, we would be in the hunt for the Big Ten Championship and the playoff.

If we get better line play and Spencer has time to throw that will help. Our two running backs run with more power than Tyler (we will miss his game breaking speed) which should translate into moving the chains more. Consistency from the offense would ne a nice change.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT