ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if this occurs this fall.

"they want somebody that might look better than what they've already seen out of those two."

so... what is the measure for "look better" ?
Petras is going to play.. and he's gonna be good, in my book.
I'm curious... whats the measure... and is it possible for Petras to meet that measure?
Neither Petras nor Padilla has been objectively good. They just haven't. I'm not saying they can't be either. The team needs them to be better than they've been if the offense is going to not be one of the worst in the country again this year. They weren't the only reason the offense was bad. They were certainly one of them.

Truth hurts derpy

images
Pretty much what I expected from you

Padilla has started in 3 games in his career, and was thrown into big ten play. He didn’t have non-con to ease into things and gain some confidence.

I’m not making excuses for him and I don’t necessarily think he is the answer but I’m a bit baffled by people’s view here that he’s a lost cause because isn’t to Petras’ level yet. Maybe if he were to start from day 1 this season, that would give him the experience and confidence to surpass petras by the end of the season.

Because his throwing motion is actually terrible. He throws hard to catch balls that come wobbling in shoulder height. He can move around more in the pocket, but that isn't very valuable when the passes are so hard to catch.

Look at their game lines, or season stats. Like I said, Spencer was superior every passing category. Also not convinced a guy that had played 3/4s against NW, full games against the Goophs and the Cheatin Illini and half a game against Nebraska, so basically a third of the season, garbage a quarter each in the last two games, so a total of and threw 2 TDs plus the garbage time in the bad losses, so there's another couple of halves against a less motivated defense and still cannot find the end zone. the entire season and 2 TDs... Since Alex threw 2 Ints even Spencer's TD/Int ratio is better 10/9 vs 2/2. \

Alex played at least 16 full quarters last season. Plenty of time to see what he can do, and there really isn't much good in anything we've seen.

Reactions: ichawk24
"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈
That's like asking Kirk Cousins to become Tom Brady..........

"So, I'm telling you there's a chance". Petras has an all-big ten season and is a third team all-American. Suddenly it all comes together for him. Not very likely, but what if ? With our super stout D, great special teams, and an improved running game, what is our ceiling ? Let's have one of the better IOWA teams this fall ! I choose optimism for this team. 😎❤️🏈
If Petras is all Big Ten, we either go undefeated or lose 1 game in the regular season (Ohio State). We are in the championship game, probably for a rematch with Ohio State. It wouldn't shock me to go 1 for 2 in those games.

If Spencer Petras is all Big Ten, I think it's roughly 50-50 that we nab the last spot in the playoff.

Reactions: ichawk24
There was a QB at Michigan decades ago that really didn't get IT with the Wolverines. Suddenly, as a Senior, he lit the conference up and then was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft. Can't remember his name right now, but I think he did well in the NFL. Maybe, just maybe, a Senior quarterback from Iowa can get IT in his senior year. Stranger things have happened. Chip, chair and a chance is all this Hawk team needs ! 😎❤️🏈
I think "IT" will be a decent O-Line and an OC with a clue.

58d.png

Reactions: hawkod
You cannot get it because it is not true. This is a lie, a huge lie, concocted out historical context that really existed in only 2 of Ferentz's 22 season. Jake C got beat out in two games. CJ eventually overtook future NFL QB Jake Rudock, who was playing at a high level. When else was a QB appointed and maintained although he was not the best QB on the roster?

Don't answer Brad Banks. That is the biggest lie of all because all the key guys, including BB himself, has said he was not ready to start. They just puke out the Michigan game like that's the only game in which BB played jr. year.
In 2012 where Iowa went 4-8, James Vandenberg took every…single…snap the entire season. Kirk didn’t even give a backup a snap in the November 17 blowout loss to Michigan. By the way…..Vandy completed 57.3% of his passes, with only 7 touchdowns and 8 interceptions that year.

The backups? Jake Rudock and C.J. Beathard.

Keep deflecting from my original post. You argue like a child.

You’re the one triggered by my post guy. So you know what that tells me? You’re the exact type of poster I was talking about.

Hell, you didn’t even refute what I said. You just wanted to cry about it. Go cry about it somewhere else.

You’re the one triggered by my post guy. So you know what that tells me? You’re the exact type of poster I was talking about.

Hell, you didn’t even refute what I said. You just wanted to cry about it. Go cry about it somewhere else.
No, I just like calling out BS when I see it. You weren't describing anybody in your original post, or maybe less than .001% of the fan base if you did. It was a classic straw man bringing up a situation that has never happened and probably never will happen.

I think both Petras and Padilla are below average college QBs, and I favor Padilla between the two. However, if Petras did happen to go 21-24 I would be happy, and if he kept performing well I would give credit where credit is due. Hawk fan first, that's all most of us care about. We just happen to disagree about who gives us the best chance to win.

For the life of me I still can't understand why our QB's are always tenured. It takes an injury to see a backup get meaningful minutes. Even against the cupcakes prior to big 10 season we rarely see backups play b/c we keep the games so tight with our low scoring and if we do see them play it's handoff to a rb to kill clock. I remember betting on Spurrier teams and the 3rd string QB would be tossing bombs late in 4th qtr to cover a 50 point spread. Would love to see Labas and Padilla get series early before big ten play. SP has had too many chances and need to know what else we got b/c someone on this roster is better than him.
I've been talking about this for years. QBs can only be fully evaluated in game action. Yet KF seems to insure that backups get very little to none. Really clueless.

No, I just like calling out BS when I see it. You weren't describing anybody in your original post, or maybe less than .001% of the fan base if you did. It was a classic straw man bringing up a situation that has never happened and probably never will happen.

I think both Petras and Padilla are below average college QBs, and I favor Padilla between the two. However, if Petras did happen to go 21-24 I would be happy, and if he kept performing well I would give credit where credit is due. Hawk fan first, that's all most of us care about. We just happen to disagree about who gives us the best chance to win.

Oh! So you’re claiming that when Petras has a good game there aren’t posters still bitching about him and how he played??? Are you serious!?!?

There are posters in this very thread that claim when the team wins, it’s in spite of Petras! You have got to be kidding.

Again… go cry somewhere else.

Reactions: F5n5
Oh! So you’re claiming that when Petras has a good game there aren’t posters still bitching about him and how he played??? Are you serious!?!?

There are posters in this very thread that claim when the team wins, it’s in spite of Petras! You have got to be kidding.

And you said 21 of 24 with 250+ yards and 3 TDs. You also said there's nothing he could do to change people's mind about him. Oh really? He could have an all Big Ten caliber season and people still wouldn't like him? And I'm the one crying. You're crying about a situation that hasn't happened, probably won't happen, and if it did happen it wouldn't play out even close to how you suggest it would. You sound more miserable and annoying than the people you complain about. Take that act elsewhere.

And you said 21 of 24 with 250+ yards and 3 TDs. You also said there's nothing he could do to change people's mind about him. Oh really? He could have an all Big Ten caliber season and people still wouldn't like him? And I'm the one crying. You're crying about a situation that hasn't happened, probably won't happen, and if it did happen it wouldn't play out even close to how you suggest it would. You sound more miserable and annoying than the people you complain about. Take that act elsewhere.

Still crying about me being accurate about you? For someone who claims to not be as I said, you sure do spend a lot of time trying to convince me you’re not.

Still crying about me being accurate about you? For someone who claims to not be as I said, you sure do spend a lot of time trying to convince me you’re not.
Still arguing like a child, talking about anything and everything except addressing me accurately calling out your BS. Thought maybe I could get you to understand your hypocrisy, but you clearly lack the intelligence and therefore aren't worth my time. Moving on!

Still arguing like a child, talking about anything and everything except addressing me accurately calling out your BS. Thought maybe I could get you to understand your hypocrisy, but you clearly lack the intelligence and therefore aren't worth my time. Moving on!

Somehow I doubt you’ll be moving on. You’re the one claiming I made a straw man argument when I fact I was just describing the attitude of other posters, such as yourself, towards Petras. You decided you wanted to be offended, a victim.

It looks to me like you’re the one who lacks the intelligence. Have fun moving on.

In 2012 where Iowa went 4-8, James Vandenberg took every…single…snap the entire season. Kirk didn’t even give a backup a snap in the November 17 blowout loss to Michigan. By the way…..Vandy completed 57.3% of his passes, with only 7 touchdowns and 8 interceptions that year.

Well this one is a head scratcher. You mean the same Jake Rudock, with no experience at all, that you think should have been chased off campus two seasons later? A true freshman?

Although my heart isn't in this argument. I would have played Rudock by game 8

Well this one is a head scratcher. You mean the same Jake Rudock, with no experience at all, that you think should have been chased off campus two seasons later? A true freshman?

Although my heart isn't in this argument. I would have played Rudock by game 8
He wasn’t a true freshman.

Obviously you don’t understand.

Vandenberg was in his final year. And yet, he took every snap. It is inexcusable not to at least give Rudock a few series late in the Michigan blowout, or in the finale vs. Nebraska (when the Hawks were out of bowl contention) so that he could pick up some actual game experience. He had already burned his redshirt. It was likely he would be the starter in 2013, so any game experience would be a positive. Instead, he was basically thrown to the wolves in 2013 with zero game experience.

What happened later in Rudock’s career is completely irrelevant.

And I never wanted Rudock “chased off campus.” I may have wanted CJ to have a shot, but that isn’t the same as wanting Rudock “chased off.”

He wasn’t a true freshman.

Obviously you don’t understand.

Vandenberg was in his final year. And yet, he took every snap. It is inexcusable not to at least give Rudock a few series late in the Michigan blowout, or in the finale vs. Nebraska (when the Hawks were out of bowl contention) so that he could pick up some actual game experience. He had already burned his redshirt. It was likely he would be the starter in 2013, so any game experience would be a positive. Instead, he was basically thrown to the wolves in 2013 with zero game experience.

What happened later in Rudock’s career is completely irrelevant.

And I never wanted Rudock “chased off campus.” I may have wanted CJ to have a shot, but that isn’t the same as wanting Rudock “chased off.”
I know, that's why I said above that I felt Rudock should have been starting by around Game 8 and KF's over emphasis on experience vs. playmaking.

By the way, having had this argument many times you were the first to come up with the best evidence, the Bear Hunter's senior season. We had a high-level recruit that turned out to be an outstanding QB. It made no sense to play this guy that could no longer really throw it.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I know, that's why I said above that I felt Rudock should have been starting by around Game 8 and KF's over emphasis on experience vs. playmaking.

By the way, having had this argument many times you were the first to come up with the best evidence, the Bear Hunter's senior season. We had a high-level recruit that turned out to be an outstanding QB. It made no sense to play this guy that could no longer really throw it.
I don’t think I was even calling for Vandenberg to be benched…..only to give Rudock some snaps. I wasn’t the only one, by far.

Kirk was asked why he didn’t let a backup QB play in the 4th quarter of the Michigan blowout. His answer of “Vandenberg gave us the best chance to win” did not sit well with Hawk fans. This board went ballistic. And rightfully so. There have been times when I have been frustrated with Kirk (usually about Iowa’s anemic offense), but that was the only time I was angry with him.

Yup. Some people just can't be consistent with their complaints, because they have it in their head that every single thing that ever goes wrong is the fault of either Petras, BF, or KF.

None of those guys are perfect, but lay the blame where it's actually due.
The offensive rankings speak for themselves so yes the blame lies with those 3. Spencer's last 2 starts
Kentucky: 19/30, 211 yards, 1 TD, 3 pics with game ending pic being close to FG range to tie game, horrible decision to throw that ball while being tackled for supposedly being a game manager qb.
Michigan: 9/22, 137 yards, 0 TD's, 0 pics

From CBS article: The Hawkeyes must find a way to upgrade their dismal offense, which came in ranked 97th in scoring (23.9 points) and 117th in pass completion percentage (54.3%).

The offensive rankings speak for themselves so yes the blame lies with those 3. Spencer's last 2 starts
Kentucky: 19/30, 211 yards, 1 TD, 3 pics with game ending pic being close to FG range to tie game, horrible decision to throw that ball while being tackled for supposedly being a game manager qb.
Michigan: 9/22, 137 yards, 0 TD's, 0 pics

From CBS article: The Hawkeyes must find a way to upgrade their dismal offense, which came in ranked 97th in scoring (23.9 points) and 117th in pass completion percentage (54.3%).

Way to completely miss my point.

Ah yes...I recall Iowa had several QBs that season...including Wienke (SR) and Sokol (JR). Bizarre season in 2012.

I’d be happy as heck! I’d also be happy to win the lottery. The odds of either may be close. Fingers crossed!🤞

ADVERTISEMENT