ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if?

Earvin32

Team MVP
Feb 15, 2013
Wisconsin ends with 2 loses, Iowa loses 2..one of which is Nebraska, and Nebraska wins out?

Tiebreakers are tricky but I don't believe this one is all that much work. Wisconsin would only have 1 conference loss and would be in Indy.

well if Nebraska wins out then they would give Wisky one of their losses then they would go by virtue of beating us both in a three way tie.

well if Nebraska wins out then they would give Wisky one of their losses then they )(would go by virtue of beating us both in a three way tie.

It must've been a trick question.... Wisconsin can't end up with 2 losses and have Nebby win out.

I hate to be cliche.... But just win baby

It must've been a trick question.... Wisconsin can't end up with 2 losses and have Nebby win out.

I hate to be cliche.... But just win baby

my bad. Forgot they already beat Nebraska. Sooooo. If Nebraska wins out, we lose a second one and Wisky loses one more then.....it is a dead heat as we are al 1-1 against each other. We would have the better overall record and I am not sure if that is the next tiebreaker. Hope so in this circumstance.

Nebraska pretty much needs Wisconsin to lose two games to sum it up and go 5-3 in the B1G if they win out. They also need Illinois to lose two more games for that matter.

If all three had two conference losses, I think Iowa is the team. It won't be Nebraska since they already have two in division losses and Iowa will win other tie-breakers. It could possibly be Wiscy, if Iowa has two in division losses and Wiscy's loss is out of division.

Last edited:
What it would come down to is who each team lost to.

Nebraska has 2 losses- Wisconsin, Illinois (both in the West division)
Wisconsin has 1 loss- Iowa (also in the West division.......)

In this hypothetical scenario, if Wisconsin loses one more time and Iowa loses to Nebraska and one other team.....then it would depend on who the second team was that Iowa and Wisconsin lost to. Both still have East division opponents on their schedule.

Iowa- Maryland, at Indiana
Wisconsin- Rutgers, at Maryland
*Nebraska- Michigan State, at Rutgers

If Iowa's second loss came to either Maryland or Indiana, then that would eliminate Nebraska, and mean that Wisconsin would need their second loss to come from either Rutgers or Maryland in order to tie, in which case it'd be irrelevant anyways, because then we go back to head-to-head (which Iowa has) and the Hawks go to Indianapolis. At least I think so...........Basically, Nebraska is gonna need someone to lose 3 games or hope to avoid a 3-way tie. And that's in the highly unlikely scenario that they become the f***ing 2015 New England Patriots after struggling the way they did in the first half of the season and beat Michigan State.

If Iowa's hypothetical second loss were against a West team (Minnesota, Purdue), then they would need Wisconsin's second loss to be to a West team (at Illinois, Northwestern, at Minnesota) as well, in order to go on to the next tiebreaker.

And the next tiebreaker is where it gets really confusing and starts to delve into way too many scenarios for this early yet in the conference schedule.
- The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7). o_O

After that, it is all common conference opponents, and then it goes to ranking and record. In fact, that's enough talk out of me. I'll just post the tiebreaker rules:

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game.
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
7. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

What it would come down to is who each team lost to.

Nebraska has 2 losses- Wisconsin, Illinois (both in the West division)
Wisconsin has 1 loss- Iowa (also in the West division.......)

In this hypothetical scenario, if Wisconsin loses one more time and Iowa loses to Nebraska and one other team.....then it would depend on who the second team was that Iowa and Wisconsin lost to. Both still have East division opponents on their schedule.

Iowa- Maryland, at Indiana
Wisconsin- Rutgers, at Maryland
*Nebraska- Michigan State, at Rutgers

If Iowa's second loss came to either Maryland or Indiana, then that would eliminate Nebraska, and mean that Wisconsin would need their second loss to come from either Rutgers or Maryland in order to tie, in which case it'd be irrelevant anyways, because then we go back to head-to-head (which Iowa has) and the Hawks go to Indianapolis. At least I think so...........Basically, Nebraska is gonna need someone to lose 3 games or hope to avoid a 3-way tie. And that's in the highly unlikely scenario that they become the f***ing 2015 New England Patriots after struggling the way they did in the first half of the season and beat Michigan State.

If Iowa's hypothetical second loss were against a West team (Minnesota, Purdue), then they would need Wisconsin's second loss to be to a West team (at Illinois, Northwestern, at Minnesota) as well, in order to go on to the next tiebreaker.

And the next tiebreaker is where it gets really confusing and starts to delve into way too many scenarios for this early yet in the conference schedule.
- The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7). o_O

After that, it is all common conference opponents, and then it goes to ranking and record. In fact, that's enough talk out of me. I'll just post the tiebreaker rules:

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big Ten regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game.
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
7. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
Highly unlikely Ia @ Ne will not be a huge game for both teams, in no small part because they hate each other.
Hawks probably playing for Division Title, and/or potential huge bowl implications.
Ne could still possibly be playing for Division Title or more likely bowl eligibility.
Ne has as much or more talent than any team in the West.
Ne now has D'Mornay Pierson-El (he good) back.
Afraid Ne got some mojo back after Minn and losing 4 nail biters.
Game is in Lincoln.
Iowa has a short week and Ne coming off a bye.
Whoa..Nellie. Huge I tell ya.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT