ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to culture as the world becomes more "diverse"

Hawk_82

HB Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Diversity is presented as a positive, but what actually happens to the culture when you increase diversity?

The linked article discusses how 1500 different languages are at risk of being lost due to globalization and increased connectivity.

One of the highlights of traveling is experiencing the culture and the people unique to that location.

Do you think it is possible to maintain traditional culture while supporting diversity?

What you're labeling as "traditional" culture is likely an amalgamation of many progressively older cultures that came before it and a piece of those that will come after.

Yes, technology is speeding up the evolution of cultures and will inevitably lead to obsolescence of various aspects of differing cultures. Luckily that same technology has also led to the ability to not only discover more about previously lost cultures, but also will preserve that knowledge for future cultures.

Animated GIF

What you're labeling as "traditional" culture is likely an amalgamation of many progressively older cultures that came before it and a piece of those that will come after.

Yes, technology is speeding up the evolution of cultures and will inevitably lead to obsolescence of various aspects of differing cultures. Luckily that same technology has also led to the ability to not only discover more about previously lost cultures, but also will preserve that knowledge for future cultures.
True, we are always changing and this is normal.

We have never had a world as connected as we are today, so this will speed up the chages we have seen in the past. Culture is passed on from one generation to the next. If kids move away from home, some of their cultural traditions will fade away.

I do find it interesting that there is such an emphasis on diversity today, when most of the diversity will blend together within a generation or 2.

So I would say cultural diversity is not important at all because eventually most culture will either be lost or will merge into one.

Diversity of thought may be more important than cultural or black vs white diversity.

Last edited:
I truly believe that social media has put a huge damper on culture. Everybody in the world sees, hears and experiences the exact same things. Not completely of course but at a much MUCH higher percentage than ever before in our history.

It's a question of scale. Native tribes constantly took over/ blended with other tribes, so that was diversity on a different level

True, we are always changing and this is normal.

We have never had a world as connected as we are today, so this will speed up the chages we have seen in the past. Culture is passed on from one generation to the next. If kids move away from home, some of their cultural traditions will fade away.

I do find it interesting that there is such an emphasis on diversity today, when most of the diversity will blend together within a generation or 2.

So I would say cultural diversity is not important at all because eventually most culture will either be lost or will merge into one.

Diversity of thought may be more important than cultural or black vs white diversity.

IMO, promoting healthy relationships between people of varying cultures is about minimizing the damage that can come from cultural zealots or those that would use a position of authority to abuse folks of a different culture, and is as important as ever because of the interconnected life we live.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT