ADVERTISEMENT

What happens when you die?

You leave a lot of paperwork for your descendants and beneficiaries if you don’t have your ducks in a row.

sincerely, the offspring who’s parents left some of this up to my ability to Easter egg hunt.

Reactions: h-hawk and Chuck C
watching-soccer-in-heaven-cartoon-vector-id969726240

Reactions: Chuck C
You wouldn't, though. I'm not. You'd be depressed if you were forced to take my outlook, just like atheists are miserable when they're forced to base their lifestyle on Christian beliefs.
Doesn't have to be the Christian belief system. You're seriously ok that when you die, that's it, dust? Nothing else? Nodda. Zilch?

I believe that if you accept Jesus as your savior , you will be with Him and The Lord God in Heaven when you die. If you choose not to accept Jesus as your only savior, then you are on your own.

All good things including love come from God.

Heaven = With God.
Hell = Without God.

What are the joys of Heaven?

We will see the Lord face to face.
We will live forever in the presence of the Lord.
We will have no more sorrow, pain, or death
We will serve the Lord as we worship Him.
We will be holy and never able to sin.
We will have a perfect body with no need for food or sleep
We will live in the glorious light of God as there is no night.

Doesn't have to be the Christian belief system. You're seriously ok that when you die, that's it, dust? Nothing else? Nodda. Zilch?
Yep. For me I'm honestly happier knowing that I live a good life then I'm stardust, rather than requiring myself to do the mental gymnastics I would have to do daily to believe in a higher power. I'd be miserable trying to wrap my head around a hope of some magical afterlife or reincarnation. In my perception I'd have to willingly ignore all complete lack of evidence and vast contradictions to make things that don't exist sound true. I just can't base an entire belief system on faith, when I know that for centuries that faith has been abused to create power and wealth. Again in my perception, God is created in the minds of men to have hope of something after this life, then that myth has been abused by churches and politicians to keep them in power.

But this is only my perception of things. I'm entirely fine with your choice to worship however you want to. What I'm getting very tired of is zealots and evangelicals pushing the rules of their faith on others who don't believe as they do. A religion may have a covenant with its god to spread the word, but again, this just feels like those in power using their flock to create more converts to increase their power. So as long as you're fine with me having my belief or lack thereof, you go worship God or Buddha or the Flying Spaghetti Monster all you want. I hope it gives you peace and comfort.

Lights out. It'll be like before I was born. Heaven is a nice idea, and it's fine if people find comfort in it, but I highly doubt it's real.
That is certainly one alternative that you can choose. You could also choose God by accepting Him into your heart . It really boils down to choice. God will never reject a pure heart that takes Him in. We have nothing to lose by accepting Christ as our savior and everything to gain.

None of us can know for sure what waits for us, but Love has proven itself to me to be the strongest force I’ve ever seen or felt. It may transcend our experience here on Earth. God is Love.

That is certainly one alternative that you can choose. You could also choose God by accepting Him into your heart . It really boils down to choice. God will never reject a pure heart that takes Him in. We have nothing to lose by accepting Christ as our savior and everything to gain.

None of us can know for sure what waits for us, but Love has proven itself to me to be the strongest force I’ve ever seen or felt. It may transcend our experience here on Earth. God is Love.

Sounds nice. I'm glad you find comfort in it. But I can't make myself believe in a sky fairy.

"God is Love" might be the funniest thing I've read on this board. If you believe in the bible, you believe he wiped out the entirety of civilization save for a few people and animals on an ark, or that he sent several plagues specifically to wipe out people.

When you die, you die. That's it. Close the book, the story's over. So I'd rather make the story a great one instead of hoping the sequel is amazing.
I use to consider myself a staunch atheist from my mid teens to mid twenties. I spent many a night in the early days of the internet arguing/debating against Christianity in the AOL chat rooms. Good times. After my views changed, I spent my time arguing against atheists too. To me both sides made no sense, but at least the Christians had faith.

This is going to sound harsh (but mid 20’s Chuck C didn’t GAF) I would always ask atheists if they were true to their beliefs, and there was nothing more to this life than what they have now, let’s see how strong your faith in atheism is and kill yourself now. What difference does it make? Sure you can say things like, “ I’m living my best life for my family and kids, so they can have the best lives they can.” In the end, it doesn’t matter. You’re dead, they’re dead, everything’s dead. You living a “good life” doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. The universe will grow cold either way.

I don’t argue with atheists or Christians anymore. IMO it’s pointless, just like politics, most people have no interest in an actual discussion, they’re just waiting their turn to get their word in, and blindly push their side,

Growing up I was a staunch atheist, I’m more of an agnostic now. Even though I sent my daughter to a Lutheran school, I’m not religious. In my own mind, I’m 98% sure the Christian faith is wrong. In my youth I spent many a night arguing on the old AOL forums over religion. All it did was bolster my belief that organized religion was wrong.

The problem I’ve always had with religion is, it promotes stagnation of thought. It tells you what to believe. **** that. I don’t believe the same things about life as I did 5, 10, or 15 years ago. My theology is changing as my life is changing.

ONTH, I have a problem with staunch atheists. I think that is a bullshit belief too.

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, it’s the only thing that makes sense. Life is one big school. We’re all here to learn. We’re all on different paths.. Maybe we’re all God. The only way for God to be omniscient and to be able to judge us is to live the exact life we have lived. Nobody can judge you, except yourself.

I’m OK not knowing what happens. I’m OK in dying and having zero faith n the Christian theology. Personally, I believe there’s a lot more to existence than just this life, what it is, I don’t know. I am perfectly ok not knowing.
I subscribe to the Wiccan Rede, "An it harm no other do as ye will"

Reactions: Chuck C
Which is sad and likely because too many Christians have weaponized Christianity through unnecessary religion, morality regulation and involvement in politics.

If you really want to have a better understanding, I recommend the following:

The Case For Christ - Lee Strobel
Why I Hate Religion, but Love Jesus - Jefferson Bethke

Note: What gets lost on most people is the fact the Christian Faith is based on a personal relationship with Jesus through the embodiment of the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit you can read the Bible cover-to-cover breaking down every passage of scripture conducting a million different theological conclusions, but without the Holy Spirit, you'll never truly understand it. Mother Teresa said something to that effect a long time ago in an interview. It's the Living Word and impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't accepted the Holy Spirit.

I'm 100% certain my post will get blasted, argued, etc., however, I'm simply answering your question the best I can and I know beyond a shadow of doubt where I will be when this meat sack finally quits.

I wish ALL Christians could embrace this message:
I think this guy's philosophy in regards to prioritizing Jesus and not the organized church, but it still doesn't settle my biggest beef with Christianity, that Jesus died for our sins. I can be a total douchebag all of my life and suddenly be forgiven.

IMO, that’s what make sense. Let’s hear your thoughts, or do you just ridicule from your perch in an old folks home on the east coast.

Since concsciousness originates in the brain, the most obvious conclusion is that death is the end. Fade to black.

As for reincarnation, it’s just silly to say it “makes sense” compared to any other option. There’s no reason to think that.

I can be a total douchebag all of my life and suddenly be forgiven.
That's why it's important to understand grace. Andy Stanley's "How Good is Good Enough" is a great read on the topic. It's not possible to earn our way into Heaven. ...and for the more legalistic readers, no, this doesn't put Paul and Jame's teachings at odds.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Im not very religious so bear with me, but what's the point of life on earth is heaven is the eternal, end all be all?

Im not very religious so bear with me, but what's the point of life on earth is heaven is the eternal, end all be all?
It's my understanding that Heaven is only our temporary home. When Christians die our souls ascend to heaven where we fellowship with God and rest from our labors until Jesus returns to Earth.

When Jesus returns, Christians come with Him to be reunited with our glorious new bodies which will be like His body (2 Corinthians 15:35-56). Then we will reign with Christ for one thousand years (Revelation 20:1-6). After that, all evil will be judged and vanquished. Then Jesus will create a new Heaven and a new Earth and all Christians will live for eternity (imagine an experience that exists outside the confines of time) with God and serve his purposes on this new earth (Revelation 21:1-5; 22:1-5)

The purpose of our human life is to prepare us for eternity. The Holy Spirit molds and shapes the character of Jesus into our lives. Enjoying an intimate, personal relationship with God gives us a foretaste of what eternal life in the presence of God will be like.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
I use to consider myself a staunch atheist from my mid teens to mid twenties. I spent many a night in the early days of the internet arguing/debating against Christianity in the AOL chat rooms. Good times. After my views changed, I spent my time arguing against atheists too. To me both sides made no sense, but at least the Christians had faith.

This is going to sound harsh (but mid 20’s Chuck C didn’t GAF) I would always ask atheists if they were true to their beliefs, and there was nothing more to this life than what they have now, let’s see how strong your faith in atheism is and kill yourself now. What difference does it make? Sure you can say things like, “ I’m living my best life for my family and kids, so they can have the best lives they can.” In the end, it doesn’t matter. You’re dead, they’re dead, everything’s dead. You living a “good life” doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. The universe will grow cold either way.

I don’t argue with atheists or Christians anymore. IMO it’s pointless, just like politics, most people have no interest in an actual discussion, they’re just waiting their turn to get their word in, and blindly push their side,
That's the point, though. If this is all I get, why would I want to end it, especially if I believe it's all I get? That's like sitting at the Iowa-Ohio State game in 2017 with Iowa up by 31 points, knowing it would never happen again, and leaving in the 3rd quarter. I wanted to savor every second of it.

Look, I'd love to have faith. I'd love to believe there's something after this life to look forward to. I just don't see any evidence of it. All the evidence that is put forward is either unverifiable or contradictory. In my perception, it's literally The Greatest Story Ever Told, but it's just that, a story.

As I said before, if having faith gives you peace and comfort and hope, that's wonderful. I wish you nothing but the best. I'm happy to debate it, and you're welcome to try to convince me that I'm wrong. It's when one of us tries to force our beliefs on the other that it becomes a problem.

That's the point, though. If this is all I get, why would I want to end it, especially if I believe it's all I get? That's like sitting at the Iowa-Ohio State game in 2017 with Iowa up by 31 points, knowing it would never happen again, and leaving in the 3rd quarter. I wanted to savor every second of it.

Look, I'd love to have faith. I'd love to believe there's something after this life to look forward to. I just don't see any evidence of it. All the evidence that is put forward is either unverifiable or contradictory. In my perception, it's literally The Greatest Story Ever Told, but it's just that, a story.

As I said before, if having faith gives you peace and comfort and hope, that's wonderful. I wish you nothing but the best. I'm happy to debate it, and you're welcome to try to convince me that I'm wrong. It's when one of us tries to force our beliefs on the other that it becomes a problem.

I think this is a great perspective.

Someone who really intrigued me and inadvertently got me back on the religious path. To the best of my knowledge, he’s not religious but makes compelling connections to science and spirituality.

https://youtube.com/c/GreggBradenOfficial

"God is Love" might be the funniest thing I've read on this board. If you believe in the bible, you believe he wiped out the entirety of civilization save for a few people and animals on an ark, or that he sent several plagues specifically to wipe out people.
Bible also tells us that He gave up His only Son to be tortured to death to pay for all of our sins and allow us to be with Him in Heaven when we die. As a parent myself, I cannot imagine any greater love than to give up your child for the world. It’s your choice. What do you have to lose ?
Thing is…If I’m wrong I’ll never know it. But what if I’m right?

I will pray for you to find His peace and allow it into your life. No harm in that.

Bible also tells us that He gave up His only Son to be tortured to death to pay for all of our sins and allow us to be with Him in Heaven when we die. As a parent myself, I cannot imagine any greater love than to give up your child for the world. It’s your choice. What do you have to lose ?

I will pray for you to find His peace and allow it into your life. No harm in that.
I wouldn't, you're wasting your time. "God" gives babies disease and syndromes. Awesome deity you got there.

SIAP
They'll be one child born in this world to carry on...

You become oil and are ran through a filtering process then stuck in an engine of some sort. Basically you're a luber. Probably end up being used to start a fire with as well once your lubing quality runs out

Setting aside the fact that this defines Christianity as a cult based on human sacrifice, Hitler may very well have loved Eva Braun, but that would not have made him a loving man. The God of the Bible is a psychopathic, genocidal, narcissist.

I wouldn't, you're wasting your time. "God" gives babies disease and syndromes. Awesome deity you got there.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. In fact, my oldest daughter was born with Rett Syndrome. (Google it) She cannot walk, or talk and most likely wont ever be able to. She will never be able to care for herself. Yet, God provides for her (and ours at parents ) needs in many ways. It's not what I or anyone else would have signed up for as a parent, yet she has taught us so much. (she is now age 25) and brings us so much joy.

Yes, God is awesome. He brings us hope in a world that is compromised by evil and death.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. In fact, my oldest daughter was born with Rett Syndrome. (Google it) She cannot walk, or talk and most likely wont ever be able to. She will never be able to care for herself. Yet, God provides for her (and ours at parents ) needs in many ways. It's not what I or anyone else would have signed up for as a parent, yet she has taught us so much. (she is now age 25) and brings us so much joy.

Yes, God is awesome. He brings us hope in a world that is compromised by evil and death.
You think it's awesome "God" gave your daughter Rett Syndrome?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT