ADVERTISEMENT

What have you liked so far over first 6 games? What can you nit pick? IOWA #1 in FTs Made&Attempted

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Nov 22, 2018 Update (thru 5 games):

Iowa was 24-29 (83%) from the FT line vs Alabama State.

Year to date (thru 5 games) they are 144-182 (79%).

Crazy!

Update for the First 4 games:

Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 2h2 hours ago

Iowa ranks first in the country in FT makes (120) and attempted (153). The 120 makes are 17 more than Howard (103), ranked second. #Hawkeyes

Original Post:

I think when they said they were working on D they weren't kidding.

Also, we continue to score over 80 ppg.

What did we have, a 9 man rotation tonight? Looked great!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Joe is really good but struggling at the moment. I think he’ll get going. Remember Garza went through an early down period and then rebounded with a strong finish last year.

Reactions: perryhawk
I’d like to see this team defend better and have fewer turnovers at the end of these games. For some inexplicable reason we tend to melt down at the end there even when we win

Small nit pick but sometimes they still collapse too much and end up having issues closing out on the corner shooter.

I agree with you on this. I thought they may have mentally checked out just a bit and that might have been the problem. I thought most rotations in the zone looked so much better the last 2 games.

Other nit pick, cannot stop playing... way too many sloppy turnovers and bad defense when up 25. I know you want to take time off the clock but they were giving up free layups to run off 10-15 seconds more.

Overall, really impressed with this start. This defense looks vastly improved. Go Hawks!

Tyler Cook is finally embracing the fact he is the unmistakable go to guy on this team.

A close second is Fran finally keeping Tyler on the floor more so he can embrace his role as the unmistakable go to guy.

Reactions: perryhawk and SSG T
I’d like to see this team defend better and have fewer turnovers at the end of these games. For some inexplicable reason we tend to melt down at the end there even when we win
It’s because Fran has his teams holding onto the ball with 5 minutes left. I distinctly remember Bohannon passing up multiple shots during the run UConn made where they cut it down to a 14 point lead with 5ish minutes left

This is something that has always happened under Fran and it’s really annoying. The team stops playing with intensity and makes dumb errors

I feel great about the team. My concerns would be Cook's turnovers, Bohannon's shooting percentage, Moss's basketball IQ and mentality.

Reactions: hwk23
Connor is a very pleasant surprise. I knew he was good, but fundamentally sound and very mature as well. Typical for a coach’s kid.
i am surprised by his driving ability

DsKzH1DUwAEdqwn.jpg

Defense and subbing have been much improved. JW will come around, he’s just a half a beat off right now. It will slow down for him. He’s in the right spots.
Moss is the one issue I see right now. Maybe he will play better with jbo and cm on the court at the same time.

Hoping they can get Joe going, but love that he isn't forcing it.

Joe will be fine . Feeling things out yet but the potential is definitely there . Once he adjusts to the speed of D1 ball he will be just fine. He’s looking for other people to score , playing D, and rebounding . The points will come

ESPN ratings are garbage and in the end you have to prove it. Connor doing so early on.
Uthoff was as ESPN Top 100 4* vs a 3* by Rivals
Cook was rated the 38th best player by ESPN and was just a top 100 4* by Rivals
I will trust ESPN ranking every day over Rival who's main criteria for top 50 or better ranking is who offers and who they commit to

And we have little brother coming down the pipe next year , and I hear Frans youngest (6th grade?) is a baller too! Looks like we might strike gold with all the mccaffrey boys
plus he may end up taller than Pat who is 6'9 where he was measured by the U18 USA Tryout people

also in a interview with the D1Minnesota HC who said Patrick was the most versatile player he had ever coached, Pat was the starting PG when their starter got hurt then he said he can play all 5 positions depending on the matchups.

plus he may end up taller than Pat who is 6'9 where he was measured by the U18 USA Tryout people

also in a interview with the D1Minnesota HC who said Patrick was the most versatile player he had ever coached, Pat was the starting PG when their starter got hurt then he said he can play all 5 positions depending on the matchups.

Me likey....future bright indeed with these guys .

This team looks like a team with 5 ESPN 4*s and another 4* coming off the bench. Wait, it is. As much as I dislike ESPN their recruiting service has the widest network of scouts. It also helps to keep you grounded on recruits because they really do lower rankings for players that commit to Iowa. It happens too frequently to be coincidental.

Bo and Ike Moss were the two with the lowest grades. Both Bo and Ike were somewhere between 105 and like 118 as I recall. That places them in the top 120 nationally. These guys were still very young last year, and had no upper classmen to lead them. Now these highly ranked recruits are juniors (Ty, Bo & Ike) along with some younger highly ranked recruits. Filling in the bench with good bench players.

This week they looked like a team with a good recruiting pedigree. Just 27 more games before the final verdict. I'm sticking with my prediction of at least 22 wins and NCAA berth this year.

Love the way Iowa is looking right now. They’re actually playing defense this year which is also pretty neat. Fran playing/starting Moss makes no sense to me though. The kid is just not good. While guys like Bohannon, Kriener, Garza and Cook have improved Moss has done almost the opposite.

Reactions: bojihawk44
The positives:
-the defense is so much improved. We look like a complete different team
-frans rotations seem a lot better this year
-having a legit point guard helps

Nitpicks:
-the 2 foul situation is still stupid
-we still have moments where we get too sped up and make silly turnovers

The positives:
-the defense is so much improved. We look like a complete different team
-frans rotations seem a lot better this year
-having a legit point guard helps

Nitpicks:
-the 2 foul situation is still stupid
-we still have moments where we get too sped up and make silly turnovers

Good points. I like the rotations much better as well.

But I also liked how Fran brought JBo back in for a few minutes in the first half with 2 fouls. Not sure that would have happened last year, so maybe that's changing a little.

We have two excellent players in the back court in
Bohannon and McCaffery. We have two excellent
players in the front court in Cook and Garza.

These four players form the foundation for Hawkeyes
to have a winning season. We will have a good
bench with genuine depth. The confidence should be
there after winning two games in Madison Square Garden..

Lets face it. Winning these games in November will help in what happens in March (making the Big Dance and if we do, seeding). Baer and the team are fully aware of this, as witnessed by this quote:

MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 4h4 hours ago

Baer told me: “I think we view ourselves as a team that’s ready to make a run in March. That’s something we’ve prided ourselves on. That’s always been our goal. We know these were big games. Big games in November are going to help you out in March.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT