ADVERTISEMENT

What have you liked so far over first 6 games? What can you nit pick? IOWA #1 in FTs Made&Attempted

We have two excellent players in the back court in
Bohannon and McCaffery. We have two excellent
players in the front court in Cook and Garza.

These four players form the foundation for Hawkeyes
to have a winning season. We will have a good
bench with genuine depth. The confidence should be
there after winning two games in Madison Square Garden..
And Joe W for sure! Maybe 6th "Man of The Year" again for Beardog.

Nit pick here. Shot clock running down, Garza or other getting ready to unload a three, and no one heading to the basket for a rebound. Saw it a couple times. We need offensive rebounds on these long 3 attempts every time.

Reactions: bojihawk44
I think when they said they were working on D they weren't kidding.

Also, we continue to score over 80 ppg.

What did we have, a 9 man rotation tonight? Looked great!

Thoughts?
Hey Fran, do you know what I really like about our team so far and with the quality of Oregon and UCONN in the bag, check out the column in the standings that says "Neutral". At season's end this could be a "kicker" along with a strong BIG performance IMHO. :)

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/standings?season=2018&group=17

Reactions: Franisdaman
Hey Fran, do you know what I really like about our team so far and with the quality of Oregon and UCONN in the bag, check out the column in the standings that says "Neutral". At season's end this could be a "kicker" along with a strong BIG performance IMHO. :)

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/standings?season=2018&group=17
this year, away and neutral wins count more than home wins, IIRC

i like that we already have a top 25 win as well

whats the new metric that will be used by the Selection committee? i think its one metric that has several others dumped into it; is it available anywhere online? after all, RPI has been scrapped

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I liked Fran Fraschilla's comment after Tyler's baseline reverse dunk. "That is a athalete right there". Misspelled athalete to emphasize Fran F's enthusiasm. Good stuff by the good guys. Thanks for the vid.
I like how that vid emphasizes how well Cook and Garza’s games compliment each other- definitely the strength of the team this year.

One thing you can't take away? "You guys just won a championship in Madison Square Garden."

Must watch post game video here. Cook announced All Tourney. Garza announced MVP. Trophy presentation. Celebrating on center court. Interviews. Locker room fun.

They seem to like Barta. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess I’m glad they do for their sakes lol.

but dang, that $6M settlement with Meyer/Greisbaum sure was a kick in the you know what

I agree. My mom who still lives in Iowa doesn’t follow the Hawks that close but she followed that story. Not only did it cost a ton of money but it was a national embarrassment

I hope Fran has turned the program around and will stay till retirement but I don’t want Bart’s picking any new coaches in any sport.

but dang, that $6M settlement with Meyer/Greisbaum sure was a kick in the you know what
Not related to thread but I am watching the Purdue- Virginia Tech replay on ESPN3. No spoiler lol but the thing I enjoy the most about this game are the announcers. Check it out. Doug Sherman and Sean Farnham. I really hope they do one of our games!

When's the last time you saw Iowa block out on defense so well that the missed shot ball hit the floor before they picked it up and went the other way?

That is defense turning into offense!

Check it out:

Last edited:
Enjoy it right now,... Our strengths & weaknesses will be scouted and the games will become tougher,... Particularly in Big 10 play.....

Enjoy it right now,... Our strengths & weaknesses will be scouted and the games will become tougher,... Particularly in Big 10 play.....
Agreed- especially the further we go in the B1G season the weaknesses get scouted to death. But... Cook/Garza/Kriener are going to be effective vs most any team. In Connor we’ve found a guard that can handle intense defensive pressure. We’ve got outside support. One of those things might falter on given nights and topple us. But this weekend was a quick survey of radically different styles we’ll face and we came out on top. Reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

A word of caution about FT attempts for us. We all know that the officiating changes as the season progresses. What’s being called now, may not be called as we get into the depths of the B1G season unless you are Wisconsin, MSU, etc.. I’m not saying we can’t be successful but instead it should expected that we will have to execute in the half court even more with fewer trips to the line.

This officiating differences over the course of a season could have been a contributor for some of Fran’s teams ‘collapses/struggles’ in the past. Things got harder for our style of ball.

A word of caution about FT attempts for us. We all know that the officiating changes as the season progresses. What’s being called now, may not be called as we get into the depths of the B1G season unless you are Wisconsin, MSU, etc.. I’m not saying we can’t be successful but instead it should expected that we will have to execute in the half court even more with fewer trips to the line.

This officiating differences over the course of a season could have been a contributor for some of Fran’s teams ‘collapses/struggles’ in the past. Things got harder for our style of ball.
possible 90%+ shooters this season
JBo
Connor
80%+
Garza
Joe
Moss
those could be playing at the end together in close games, considering how teams start fouling at the end trying to get back into the game. its not about how many as its all about making them in crunch time.

so far, i think connor has been a real difference maker. i had almost forgotten about him and i am shocked how good he is- not flashy but so steady and smart. i feel that he provides stability that will prevent some of the melt downs that we saw last season. He is strong with the ball, sees the court well especially with his height and he can beat his man when overplayed and finish at the rim. i expect that he will eventually take over at the point.

so far, i think connor has been a real difference maker. i had almost forgotten about him and i am shocked how good he is- not flashy but so steady and smart. i feel that he provides stability that will prevent some of the melt downs that we saw last season. He is strong with the ball, sees the court well especially with his height and he can beat his man when overplayed and finish at the rim. i expect that he will eventually take over at the point.
i don't think any of us knew he was this good simply because we had not seen him against P5 competition ; he and Jordan on the court at the same time look really good

I’d like to see this team defend better and have fewer turnovers at the end of these games. For some inexplicable reason we tend to melt down at the end there even when we win
i do like Jordan and Connor on the floor together at end of games; good ball handlers and they make their FTS

18 turnovers tonight —- too many
i look at every turnover as a possible 4-6 point swing because we are going on offense, turn it over (and lose opportunity for 2 or 3) and the opponent goes the other way for a possible 2 or 3 pts

turnovers can kill you big time in a game

thoughts on the 2-3 zone? do we play too much of it?

what about Fran's substitution patterns?

Is there a Plus/Minus list anywhere to be found? they keep talking about it but can a player's plus/minus be found on any web site?

Looks like the off season workouts may be paying dividends, too.

Cook is strong at taking it to the basket.

But so is Connor.

Qe_LKgrw

As a team we're long with lot's of reach but not a tremendous amount of quickness so I think zone tends to suit us...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT