ADVERTISEMENT

What I don’t understand… Cade coming and Johnson/Bruce leave

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Maybe there’s much more to this than I would ever know but wouldn’t you think after landing Cade these wideouts would reconsider and maybe reconsider that this might be the best opportunity they have especially with a top notch proven player In McNamara? I was dreaming thinking some long deep balls from Cade to Johnson … even though Keagan is lighting it up in the portal with some major offers from ND and others you would think he would maybe take a harder look at the situation? Or is this a BF thing? KF thing? It just doesn’t seem to add up - I hope both these young man reconsider and pull their names out of the portal, otherwise all I can say is best to them both.. and wish them nothing but respect…

Once you are in the portal. Iowa has to extend the offer to return. We don’t know if offers to stay are there for anyone in the portal. More than likely they do have the option for the time being but if the roster squeeze is put on. And Iowa has incoming players who want to be here. Their spots will be filled one way or another.

I can see Bruce dropping out of Power 5 school to FCS. Same with Gavin Williams. Terry has offers from Minnesota and Penn State.

Until any of these players announce their destination, they can still probably be here next year.

Here is the real question for those that portal up and stay. —-how much effort day to day will this person give for a team they quit on.

I honestly don’t blame any WR with skills for wanting out. What is Ferentz’s history of putting WRs into the NFL? A walk on recruited under Hayden Fry has the best NFL career. Smith-Marsette is in his 2nd year and has the next best career, but is struggling to stay on a team as he’s currently on his third roster with only 14 career appearances to this point. Marvin McNutt had 18 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Tevaun Smith had a grand total of 10 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Going old school, back to Hayden recruits, Bashir Yamini played in 6 games with no catches and Khalil Hill played in 1 with no catches but 4 punt returns.

Then there is Riley McCarron, who played in one NFL regular season game but got 26 plays on the field before being bumped back down to the pra squad and got a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots.

Not exactly a murderer’s row of success. So of course I understand why any talented wide receiver would consider looking elsewhere with the current portal and NIL rules.

I honestly don’t blame any WR with skills for wanting out. What is Ferentz’s history of putting WRs into the NFL? A walk on recruited under Hayden Fry has the best NFL career. Smith-Marsette is in his 2nd year and has the next best career, but is struggling to stay on a team as he’s currently on his third roster with only 14 career appearances to this point. Marvin McNutt had 18 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Tevaun Smith had a grand total of 10 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Going old school, back to Hayden recruits, Bashir Yamini played in 6 games with no catches and Khalil Hill played in 1 with no catches but 4 punt returns.

Then there is Riley McCarron, who played in one NFL regular season game but got 26 plays on the field before being bumped back down to the pra squad and got a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots.

Not exactly a murderer’s row of success. So of course I understand why any talented wide receiver would consider looking elsewhere with the current portal and NIL rules.
This. I don't know how anyone can be surprised by a WR wanting to transfer from Iowa.

I don’t blame any WRs from leaving

We are not a good fit no matter who is the QB. We run 60% of the time and when we do throw 25% of those we target TEs.

That leaves 15% of our offensive plays to WRs. That’s a lot of hard work blocking for maybe 2-3 targets a game.

If your goal is the next level I don’t know why any WRs would choose Iowa.

A lot of these receivers want to play in spread offenses where the team throws 2/3s of the time, where there are at least 3 to 5 wideouts on the field every offensive play.

It is funny that Mich has about the same scheme and formation as Iowa but slowly Harbaugh has tried various OCs and built up a better passing game. It even took him and Mich 4 to 5 years to get all the pieces of his team playing at a top level.

It doesnt matter the QB, the offensive scheme is still going to be the same. WR dont seem to be valued in this offense. We are running and TE heavy. Not sure why playmaking, athletic WR would choose Iowa in the first place with this fossil of an offense. KF needs to update and change much like what Michigan has done in the last few years to get a better passing and running attack.

It's entirely speculative about why a player enters the portal. But it is interesting that three players that would have had starters minutes (KJ, Roberts, Jacobs) in 2022 decided to leave for 2023.

NIL?

Once you are in the portal. Iowa has to extend the offer to return. We don’t know if offers to stay are there for anyone in the portal. More than likely they do have the option for the time being but if the roster squeeze is put on. And Iowa has incoming players who want to be here. Their spots will be filled one way or another.

I can see Bruce dropping out of Power 5 school to FCS. Same with Gavin Williams. Terry has offers from Minnesota and Penn State.

Until any of these players announce their destination, they can still probably be here next year.

Here is the real question for those that portal up and stay. —-how much effort day to day will this person give for a team they quit on.
Quit on? Why use that term? Looking for an opportunity that might be different or better? When an employee resigns for a different job that might have better pay and a different work culture did that employee "quit on" their job? Would you expect that employee to turn down the job they see is better in order to stick it out and show loyalty to the first job?

Too many fans use weird terms like "quit on" and "honor their commitment". It's just strange. If a kid wants to switch schools, why is that perceived to be some sort of character flaw?

Too many fans use weird terms like "quit on" and "honor their commitment". It's just strange. If a kid wants to switch schools, why is that perceived to be some sort of character flaw?
Because football is a team sport and many have been taught that you should care about your team mate more than yourself. I realize that the current trend is all about "me" but not everybody thinks that's best for the team, the sport in general, or for the individual. Some people simply think that honoring their commitment is the right thing to do and ,therefore, should be done. Lets be honest, if you're the kind of person that's all about yourself, you probably aren't as successful in life in general as the person who cares about others more than themselves. Many believe if you just do the right thing, you'll be better off in the end. Its a life lesson that's lost on many these days.

Because football is a team sport and many have been taught that you should care about your team mate more than yourself. I realize that the current trend is all about "me" but not everybody thinks that's best for the team, the sport in general, or for the individual. Some people simply think that honoring their commitment is the right thing to do and ,therefore, should be done. Lets be honest, if you're the kind of person that's all about yourself, you probably aren't as successful in life in general as the person who cares about others more than themselves. Many believe if you just do the right thing, you'll be better off in the end. Its a life lesson that's lost on many these days.
The problem with this argument is that most people seemingly don't have issues when coaches leave their teams for another job. Should they not be expected to honor the contracts they signed, the commitments they made to that school and the players they recruited?

Why is there a negative stigma attached to players who want to transfer for a new opportunity but not coaches who do the same?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
There’s also a stud TE possibly coming in which would take more targets away from them.

Most of these guys hope to play in the NFL, it’s a business decision.

Lol. All about yourself. It's a game! I mean, marriage I can see where honoring your commitment should be a top priority, although with more than 50% of marriages ending in divorce, we clearly don't. I wonder if the fans who want to disparage these 18-22 year olds (or younger) for wanting to go to a different school to play a game give the same mini lecture to their divorced friends and family? I wonder how many of these same fans are divorced themselves? Or changed jobs? It's just mind boggling how brainwashed people are by sports culture.

Maybe there’s much more to this than I would ever know but wouldn’t you think after landing Cade these wideouts would reconsider and maybe reconsider that this might be the best opportunity they have especially with a top notch proven player In McNamara? I was dreaming thinking some long deep balls from Cade to Johnson … even though Keagan is lighting it up in the portal with some major offers from ND and others you would think he would maybe take a harder look at the situation? Or is this a BF thing? KF thing? It just doesn’t seem to add up - I hope both these young man reconsider and pull their names out of the portal, otherwise all I can say is best to them both.. and wish them nothing but respect…
EASY: THEY DON’T WANT TO PLAY IN A 1974 JUNIOR HIGH OFFENSE. PERIOD.

It doesnt matter the QB, the offensive scheme is still going to be the same. WR dont seem to be valued in this offense. We are running and TE heavy. Not sure why playmaking, athletic WR would choose Iowa in the first place with this fossil of an offense. KF needs to update and change much like what Michigan has done in the last few years to get a better passing and running attack.
Has nothing to do with value.
You really think that as important as players are to KF he doesn't value a group of them?
It's all about risk and the instant risk assessment that the Qb makes and with SP he sees guys come open way too late to make a safe throw. So he throws it at the TE or wastes the play.

Reactions: Lostgirl57

Not blaming them for doing what they think they need to do, but frankly 90% of WR's who play college football NEVER play in the NFL either so your argument there is moot. This about college football, and I'd take ISM, Smith or McNutt any day of the week.

Not blaming them for doing what they think they need to do, but frankly 90% of WR's who play college football NEVER play in the NFL either so your argument there is moot.
I don't think most of them truly believe that but rather that it's a combination of hoping for that as well as actually wanting to get on the field a few more times before they have to leave the game for good. I can't honestly blame a guy for not wanting to be 5th on the depth chart and rarely seeing the field as a result.

I don't think most of them truly believe that but rather that it's a combination of hoping for that as well as actually wanting to get on the field a few more times before they have to leave the game for good. I can't honestly blame a guy for not wanting to be 5th on the depth chart and rarely seeing the field as a result.
Obviously, but how does that apply to Johnson or Bruce. Both were starters (at least if they could actually GET on the field, in KJ's case)? Both also had some issues catching the ball which is as much on them as the QB.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Lol. All about yourself. It's a game! I mean, marriage I can see where honoring your commitment should be a top priority, although with more than 50% of marriages ending in divorce, we clearly don't. I wonder if the fans who want to disparage these 18-22 year olds (or younger) for wanting to go to a different school to play a game give the same mini lecture to their divorced friends and family? I wonder how many of these same fans are divorced themselves? Or changed jobs? It's just mind boggling how brainwashed people are by sports culture.
Absolutely, sports culture. Thats what makes a game like Army v Navy so much fun, like going back in a time machine. Before the $$ and the, "me first" that permeates the game now.

First off, the last two years have been brutal for wr’s at Iowa. One needs to decide if they are going to take a chance on an OL improving, a transfer qb who didn’t play last year doing well in Iowa’s system and being healthy enough to play, and an offensive scheme changing to improve. There is a lot of question marks as a wr. .

I don’t blame any WRs from leaving

We are not a good fit no matter who is the QB. We run 60% of the time and when we do throw 25% of those we target TEs.

That leaves 15% of our offensive plays to WRs. That’s a lot of hard work blocking for maybe 2-3 targets a game.

If your goal is the next level I don’t know why any WRs would choose Iowa.

That’s some fuzzy math, or a poor choice of phrasing the point you were trying to make.

So a kid is alive for 18 years, with his last 3,4, even 5 spent doing everything he can to get a P5 scholarship while hanging on to the NFL dream..

..Said kid gets his scholarship and after just a year or two is suddenly supposed to care about the lives/football careers of his teammates more than his own?

No, don’t think so.

no, its his job to keep and develop wide receivers... dummy
Yet he developed first wr to catch a pass in the nfl and Ferentz era since Kevin kasper with ISM and also coached Brandon smith who is on the cowboys practice squad. But let’s not place any blame on the people running the archaic offensive system where passing game is garbage or the OC.

Charlie Jones play on the field this year did more negative recurring against Iowa than what any coach can ever say. Went from option 3 at Iowa to all conf 2nd team AA and will be drafted now. Crazy if Johnson and Bruce didn’t take notice of that when they decided to leave.

Yet he developed first wr to catch a pass in the nfl and Ferentz era since Kevin kasper with ISM and also coached Brandon smith who is on the cowboys practice squad. But let’s not place any blame on the people running the archaic offensive system where passing game is garbage or the OC.

Charlie Jones play on the field this year did more negative recurring against Iowa than what any coach can ever say. Went from option 3 at Iowa to all conf 2nd team AA and will be drafted now. Crazy if Johnson and Bruce didn’t take notice of that when they decided to leave.
fact is... his guys are leaving... not staying

Obviously, but how does that apply to Johnson or Bruce. Both were starters (at least if they could actually GET on the field, in KJ's case)? Both also had some issues catching the ball which is as much on them as the QB.
Keegan I have no idea what went on with him, feels like something happened behind the scenes.

Bruce I think as much as said he didn’t think offense was using him right.

I do wonder if they make the same decision if they’d known Cade was coming…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT