ADVERTISEMENT

What I don’t understand… Cade coming and Johnson/Bruce leave

I'm not sure what "get off my lawn" has to do with the subject. I'm not being mindlessly cranky. Do you not understand "loyalty" to be a virtue that should be encouraged, along with patience, perseverance and delayed gratification are good character traits? Don't you think the NCAA should implement policies that promote good character traits and disincentivizes rash, immature, and destructive behaviors?

It's a simple balancing test. There is no right to be a coach or a player. Those positions are privileges granted, literally, through the grace and favor of at least three different grantors: (1) the school/institution; (2) the conference and (3) the NCAA. All three can require the person seeking privilege surrender some of that person's own commercial freedom as consideration for the privilege.

Since the NCAA actually has the power to bring some order out of the NIL/portal chaos, should it not do so and restore some balance in the system? I'm not sure how pointing toward a broken system and suggest its improvement bespeaks geriatric rigidity.

Have seen numerous posts about how kids don’t respect loyalty, commitment, etc like they used to.

The conferences are going to have to get together and do something eventually; the NCAA forever punted on the issue.

Look, kids transfer colleges all the time, people change jobs/companies all the time for better opportunities; yet we expect college players to behave differently than every other walk of life?

Especially with coaching movement more or less constant, NIL money obviously a factor - I don’t get why they’re being held to a higher standard.

DS an no chugged, Kevin Kasper, and Tim Dwight had better or equal pro careers to Wuinn. But, your point stands
Early had over 6400 career receiving yards while Dwight had less than 3000 and Kasper less than 300. Dwight was an excellent return man, which boosts his value significantly, but he wasn’t the threat at receiver that Early was.

Early had over 6400 career receiving yards while Dwight had less than 3000 and Kasper less than 300. Dwight was an excellent return man, which boosts his value significantly, but he wasn’t the threat at receiver that Early was.
Danan Hughes is in there. Not all that great under Hayden but straight dogshit under Kirk. It's amazing that Albert Young and Shonn Greene were the only RB's with that kind of offense. RB is why Wisconsin became the better program after the orange bowl. Also amazing you can spend a lifetime in football and be that bad with offenses still

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
It's entirely speculative about why a player enters the portal. But it is interesting that three players that would have had starters minutes (KJ, Roberts, Jacobs) in 2022 decided to leave for 2023.

NIL?
People need to kind of shift their mindset on transfers and the portal. I know I do. Used to be that it was very unusual for guys who were either starters or set up to get starter minutes would not transfer, mostly due to the sitting out a year rule.

Especially for guys who didn't grow up in Iowa and/or are Iowa fans, it's not super surprising to see them explore options. They can look at playing closer to home, as well as getting some significant dollars if the other school is willing to fork out for certain positions. We may not like it, but I can't really blame guys for taking advantage of six figure paydays to continue their college careers. Of course, in Jacob's case he's not going closer to home but to Oregon.

Basically coaches now have to think about roster management similar to a NFL team, except even worse. In the NFL, only a select number of players each year are FA eligible. In college, every player is a free agent every year (unless they have already transferred once and used up their one transfer without sitting out). Which in a perverse way, makes transfers more attractive than high school players. If you get a portal player, they can't really look elsewhere as they have already used up their free transfer without penalty of sitting out a year.

So college coaches have to constantly have the pulse of all their players, especially the good ones or the ones they expect to contribute soon. They better have a big board with all the NIL money allocated to each player and make sure they are rewarding the ones that deserve it or they are in danger of going elsewhere. Crazy.

People need to kind of shift their mindset on transfers and the portal. I know I do. Used to be that it was very unusual for guys who were either starters or set up to get starter minutes would not transfer, mostly due to the sitting out a year rule.

Especially for guys who didn't grow up in Iowa and/or are Iowa fans, it's not super surprising to see them explore options. They can look at playing closer to home, as well as getting some significant dollars if the other school is willing to fork out for certain positions. We may not like it, but I can't really blame guys for taking advantage of six figure paydays to continue their college careers. Of course, in Jacob's case he's not going closer to home but to Oregon.

Basically coaches now have to think about roster management similar to a NFL team, except even worse. In the NFL, only a select number of players each year are FA eligible. In college, every player is a free agent every year (unless they have already transferred once and used up their one transfer without sitting out). Which in a perverse way, makes transfers more attractive than high school players. If you get a portal player, they can't really look elsewhere as they have already used up their free transfer without penalty of sitting out a year.

So college coaches have to constantly have the pulse of all their players, especially the good ones or the ones they expect to contribute soon. They better have a big board with all the NIL money allocated to each player and make sure they are rewarding the ones that deserve it or they are in danger of going elsewhere. Crazy.
Agreed. Except that players still can grad transfer without penalty, which gives them two free transfers.

For example, Kedon Slovis

Maybe there’s much more to this than I would ever know but wouldn’t you think after landing Cade these wideouts would reconsider and maybe reconsider that this might be the best opportunity they have especially with a top notch proven player In McNamara? I was dreaming thinking some long deep balls from Cade to Johnson … even though Keagan is lighting it up in the portal with some major offers from ND and others you would think he would maybe take a harder look at the situation? Or is this a BF thing? KF thing? It just doesn’t seem to add up - I hope both these young man reconsider and pull their names out of the portal, otherwise all I can say is best to them both.. and wish them nothing but respect…
I think this year was just hard on them and they want a fresh start and they think they will be better in a different offense.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
I kinda agree with you. Obviously an upgrade but fans seem to be building up some pretty crazy expectations.
It’s like they think he’s going to be senior year Brad banks.
He’ll be an upgrade yes but I just don’t see the amazing things happening that everyone seems to think are going to happen.

I almost guarantee people will be bitching about him by game 6 next year.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster

Your point about now seeing starters transfer is true since it was very rare previously. The few cases I can think of were on the basketball side with Sam Okey and Luke Recker transferring in after being starters at Wisconsin and Indiana even though there weren't coaching changes. There's probably others, but not like we're seeing now.

Because they don't have to sit out there is nothing keeping a quality player from jumping ship. Only way to prevent that would be to reintroduce the one year of ineligibility from a transfer. Maybe put some caveats that after a coaching change(head or position), after an injury redshirt, after graduating, or after participation in less than 25% of games(or more likely minutes/plays) that ineligibility period is waived. Basically, if the coach was playing you a good amount and nothing else changes, you shouldn't be able to just jump ship for more money and have eligibility immediately.

Every coach needs to adopt a win now mentality and throw ethics and loyalty out the window. You have one year to win with the players you have. Being a development program will become a thing of the past if it hasn't already. Development programs, or coaches who insist on them, will be nothing more than minor league teams for the playoff contenders each year. It's the sorry state of college sports that used to actually focus on the student athlete, but it's been trending this way for a long time. You could argue that the successful teams have always adhered to the modern system.

Every coach needs to adopt a win now mentality and throw ethics and loyalty out the window. You have one year to win with the players you have. Being a development program will become a thing of the past if it hasn't already. Development programs, or coaches who insist on them, will be nothing more than minor league teams for the playoff contenders each year. It's the sorry state of college sports that used to actually focus on the student athlete, but it's been trending this way for a long time. You could argue that the successful teams have always adhered to the modern system.
While I think there is some truth to what you say here, I think you might be taking it a bit to the extreme. How many significant contributors did Iowa lose this Winter so far? Two? And Iowa gained an upgrade at quarterback. I think the assumption that all players want to transfer to a better team is the part that I take exception with. Most will walk to stay where they started.

Reactions: savage84
I hope I’m wrong but I’m honestly not as sold on Cade as everyone else seems to be. Yes I believe he’s a major upgrade over Petrash. But let’s remember Cade was replaced last year in Michigan and honestly I don’t feel like the numbers he has put up have been that great.
Plus I think he’s had better players to throw to the last few years then what he’s going to get at iowa.
I hope he proves me wrong.
He's not great but if you can run the ball and you don't have a big drop off on defense you will win the west with him. Most likely you would have won it this year with him. He's Jake Ruddock with a little less mobility

While I think there is some truth to what you say here, I think you might be taking it a bit to the extreme. How many significant contributors did Iowa lose this Winter so far? Two? And Iowa gained an upgrade at quarterback. I think the assumption that all players want to transfer to a better team is the part that I take exception with. Most will walk to stay where they started.
Agree that development will not all of a sudden not matter. I would argue that it's going to continue to matter quite a bit. Yes, teams that don't get talent out of the portal will be missing out and get left behind. But so will schools that don't develop. It will be very difficult to fill ALL of your team's needs out of the portal, year after year. Teams that are good at development and have players that have not yet burst onto the scene are going to continue to have an edge over those programs that don't. If Cooper Dejean had entered the portal last year, probably not a huge amount of takers as he's from a small high school in Iowa. Or Jermari Harris the year before that. Low-star recruit out of the Chicago area who hadn't yet played a lot, but he was very good in 2021. But Iowa/Parker knew what they had there, and they both turned into really good players.

Successful programs will have multiple methods for acquiring and developing talent. Should be high school + transfer portal + JUCO.

You are all Drama queens!!..How hard is it going to be to replace an injury prone guy who hasn't played for the last 12 months, and a guy who has been nothing but avg as a WR and PR at best. Meh. Can find the same at COE, Cornell, Simpson, etc

There better WRs at every MAC like school out there.

Reactions: savage84
You are all Drama queens!!..How hard is it going to be to replace an injury prone guy who hasn't played for the last 12 months, and a guy who has been nothing but avg as a WR and PR at best. Meh. Can find the same at COE, Cornell, Simpson, etc

There better WRs at every MAC like school out there.
That "average" WR had offers from ND, KSU, NU. No matter how you look at it, Iowa's depth at the WR position (what little they had previously) is absolutely toast.

I just want to throw this out there and point out how I mention Cade wouldn’t change our offense when everyone was getting hard over the fact he was here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT