ADVERTISEMENT

WHAT IF i'm right and...

makeachange

Rookie
Mar 1, 2015
IL. State beats Iowa..? After that spring game. Get Ready. 4-8 season WITH an easy schedule. We have 8 players max that are big ten talent, the rest are NDSU talent.

Reactions: Hawkeye1986
I don't think many Iowa fans would be all that surprised. I think most of us are pretty numb to the mediocrity of Iowa football in recent years. Plus, it's not like ugly losses to small-time programs are an unknown over the past decade or so. There have been plenty, most of them at home. It would just be another to add to the list.

It is interesting to ponder how many losses it would take for a head coaching change to take place. I don't know that there really is one, this season. I'm not convinced that Barta would make a change even if the Hawks went 0-12. I suspect it would be chalked up to bad breaks, injuries, etc. I think it would take at least two consecutive 4-8 or worse seasons for a head coaching change to be made.

I want Kirk to succeed, for his sake and for the sake of the program. Unfortunately, I don't see anything but mediocrity, as the same formula continues to be applied, only with lesser talent than in past years. The outcome is pretty predictable. I'd be absolutely shocked by 8+ wins this year.

OP,

You aren't the only one who thinks that is possible. Iowa could easily lose to an Illinois State team that went 13-2 last year. I think the game will come down to who has the ball last.

Reactions: Digger1
Some seasons are easier accepted,when I focus less on wins and losses,and more on effort,proper technique, and minor victories throughout the game. Certainly not a winning mentality, but it beats being crushed after every loss. Expect the worst, and hope for the best. GO HAWKS

Unfortunately, your prediction is probable. Watching the other spring games and practices on Espn and BN, it is pretty evident that we are lacking talent when compared to other big time programs...I hope I am wrong, but it could be several years before we are able to right the ship.

Didn't Illinois State graduate most of their starters from the 13-2 team?

IL. State beats Iowa..? After that spring game. Get Ready. 4-8 season WITH an easy schedule. We have 8 players max that are big ten talent, the rest are NDSU talent.

I am definitely concerned going into the season about the Illinois State game. However, if we lose that game, I don't see any way we make it to 4 wins.

Skipping around the BTN video of the game yesterday, the OL is a huge concern. Hopefully they just had an off day or will get better by fall, but man, CJ had about 2 seconds every play before a lineman was on him. Myers was getting beat like a drum every single play. If they don't get better, it will be a long, long season because I don't think we're expecting to have the stifling D we've had before to make up for offensive deficiencies.

Didn't Illinois State graduate most of their starters from the 13-2 team?

Nope.

Tre Roberson is back at QB, as is their stud RB. I think they lost a couple of linemen, though. Not sure what they have back on defense, but they were an offense-driven team and they should still be very good on that side of the ball.

I am definitely concerned going into the season about the Illinois State game. However, if we lose that game, I don't see any way we make it to 4 wins.

Skipping around the BTN video of the game yesterday, the OL is a huge concern. Hopefully they just had an off day or will get better by fall, but man, CJ had about 2 seconds every play before a lineman was on him. Myers was getting beat like a drum every single play. If they don't get better, it will be a long, long season because I don't think we're expecting to have the stifling D we've had before to make up for offensive deficiencies.
Apparently, the OL was just as bad at the open practice earlier.

Apparently, the OL was just as bad at the open practice earlier.

JR knew how the OL was going to be and decided to get out while he still had his limbs. If this OL don't improve, CJ isn't going to be a starter for long.

Ill. State graduated 8 seniors on defense and 12 on offense plus their punter and kicker. Not all were starters but next year will be a predominately soph, junior team. Maybe you should do a little research before you spout your usual bs.

Why do continue to be a fan?

I couldnt make out what's going to happen from the Spring game. You never know when little is elected kirks teams tend to exceed expectations.

I doubt we only win for games. I see eight wins with that schedule. QB play should be a difference maker assuming he can stay healthy. His propensity to tuck in run is a plus but exposes him to potential injury.

To me the key to the season will be how week the offense line plays. If we don't do well there we might be looking at a losing season. I see us improving on the line and being ready to go once the season starts.

Why do continue to be a fan?

I couldnt make out what's going to happen from the Spring game. You never know when little is expected kirks teams tend to exceed expectations.

I doubt we only win four games. I see eight wins with that schedule. QB play should be a difference maker assuming he can stay healthy. His propensity to tuck in run is a plus but exposes him to potential injury.

To me the key to the season will be how weak the offense line plays. If we don't do well there we might be looking at a losing season. I see us improving on the line and being ready to go once the season starts.

A lot of negative people on this board, I think we will be improved defensively, and I think we will be better at the skill positions on offense. A lot will come down to the development of our offensive line and I have a lot of confidence in how our coaches develop linemen. Obviously, we will need to stay healthy and avoid a lot of injuries. I think our talent level is back on the upswing. We will have to win most of the close games. Go Hawks!

I don't know about that, OP........NDSU beat the crap out of Iowa State. We lost to them at home.

I would think if we were getting talent that could at least win 4 straight FCS national titles we'd be doing better than we are....................................................

Ill. State graduated 8 seniors on defense and 12 on offense plus their punter and kicker. Not all were starters but next year will be a predominately soph, junior team. Maybe you should do a little research before you spout your usual bs.

They have the 2 most important players on their roster back, record-setters at the QB and RB position. Their defense wasn't particularly noteworthy to begin with. They are an offensive team primarily, and their key playmakers are back.

If this scenario would happen to play out, Ferentz would be done. It's more likely that this team will go 8-4 than 4-8. My guess is that they will land somewhere in between.

I would like to see who your 8 players include? I can name 9 B1G talent players without a doubt:

Beathard
Smith
Blythe
Duzey
Ott
Johnson
King
Mabin
Lomax

They have the 2 most important players on their roster back, record-setters at the QB and RB position. Their defense wasn't particularly noteworthy to begin with. They are an offensive team primarily, and their key playmakers are back.

Exactly...the other 20 starters are meaningless...2 guys can beat 11 defenders by themselves..no problem. It was like when Iowa had Drew Tate back in 2005 and 2006 after winning the Big Ten in 2004....they won the league three years in a row....oh wait...they actually missed those defenders from 2004 in 05 and 06 and were bad.

Ill State now has Spearman..most of the 'starters return. The ones that didn't had backups see action. They have a punter. They have an awesome QB that will cause havic. They have an awesome RB.
...They have momentum ....remember that stuff.

If this scenario would happen to play out, Ferentz would be done. It's more likely that this team will go 8-4 than 4-8. My guess is that they will land somewhere in between.

I would like to see who your 8 players include? I can name 9 B1G talent players without a doubt:

Beathard
Smith
Blythe
Duzey
Ott
Johnson
King
Mabin
Lomax

gregg-popovich-laughing-gif.gif

Ill State now has Spearman..most of the 'starters return. The ones that didn't had backups see action. They have a punter. They have an awesome QB that will cause havic. They have an awesome RB.

Got to be honest, Reggie Spearman wasn;t very good for us. Not sure why we should be worried if he lines up for little ISU

Spearman was/is undersized, slow, and couldn't contain a slug.

Did the Iowa staff not know this during their evaluation/recruitment of him? Why did he play so much for Iowa so early in his career? Are you saying Iowa didn't have anyone better on the roster to replace him or are you saying the staff didn't know what they were doing when they put him out there?

IL. State beats Iowa..? After that spring game. Get Ready. 4-8 season WITH an easy schedule. We have 8 players max that are big ten talent, the rest are NDSU talent.[
Since NDSU beat Ill. St. for the FCS title, I wonder why you picked them as representing Iowa's talent, and why if so, you would expect Ill. St. to beat NDSU talent.

o_O
Which is why we had him starting as a sophomore and playing as a 17 year old true freshman. If now, as a junior, he isn't one of their best defensive players it will really reflect just how bad Iowa's talent level is.

KOKHawk....

How many of those listed would start for let's say Penn State?
maybe 3....and that is our BEST.

They lose 3 starting DB's, 2 Starting DT's, and return all LB's + add Spearman, Kenney (Indiana DE transfer), Oregon DB transfer (saw the writing on the wall). On O - they lose both starting WR and starting TE (85-90% of receiving yards last season) and 3 best starting OL. Add lineman from Toledo that hasn't played a down of D1 college football.

Since when is Tre Roberson "awesome?" He's been good, but awesome? And they return most of thdir starters? 50% is not most.

From that list, I'll go with:
Blythe
Smith
Lomax
King
Ott
Johnson

Last edited:

They have a good QB and RB. But they lose their top 3 WR. Top returning WR had 17 rec for 226 yards according to yahoo sports. Plus the punter you talk about was a Senior also. Spearman got beat out at the end of the year at Iowa so not a huge deal there as if Iowa lost an all conference player. Plus before you have another love fest post on Illinois St remember they were playing Missouri Valley teams not Big 10 last year little difference in getting those stats.

This is the season where Davis and the offense have to make a major step forward. If they don't it could get real ugly real fast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT