ADVERTISEMENT

What if Proctor

RothMatt

All-Conference
Nov 18, 2019
Urbandale
While listening to Murph and Andy on the radio today they said a highly rated offensive lineman signed a NIL for 8 million dollars. What would you guys think if Proctor went off to Alabama.
Would it be, great, that's what I would do or what?
Just curious what many would think.

While listening to Murph and Andy on the radio today they said a highly rated offensive lineman signed a NIL for 8 million dollars. What would you guys think if Proctor went off to Alabama.
I was a quarterback that might get 8 million.

Reactions: RothMatt
$8M ~ that's a lot of $$$.

One would assume that if offered $8M by Alabama, others would offer $5M, $3M, or $1M, so he might "compromise" $$$ for location or coaching.

2022 National Recruiting is crazy.

I was a quarterback that might get 8 million.
Agreed. If you subscribe to the Athletic they have had several really good articles on this. The highest so far is a QB, they don’t say who but people speculate it’s the kid that signed with Tennessee, that got $8m. They say next in line are D-line recruits, followed by O-line and I believe both of those position groups have seen deals in the millions. After that comes I think WRs who have seen deals in the high six figures. The article has a lot more details but that’s what I remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: bumpstock
With this kind of money going to recruits you would think it would hamper new facilities bing built in the future.

With this kind of money going to recruits you would think it would hamper new facilities bing built in the future.
Agreed - I think in the past millions of dollars was being used to build ostentatious facilities in an attempt to indirectly entice kids to attend these schools. Now you can just give the money directly to the kids instead.

Sucks that this is where CFB recruiting is, but can't blame an elite recruit coming out of HS for taking a huge chunk of guaranteed $$$ to play at a blueblood program. Kind of a win/win for the kid. Never going to badmouth a recruit for choosing a program other than Iowa if he thinks that's in his best interest.

Just curious, but how are these $ amounts known? Where are these details coming from that the media has access to it?
Here’s an article from earlier today. This article is all anonymous. I feel like the only recruit that was openly named as receiving a million bucks was that QB that signed with Ohio State and then transferred to Texas.

From the article:
“This is the hierarchy,” said attorney Mike Caspino, who has represented dozens of recruits in their dealings with collectives and executed the contracts The Athletic reviewed. “Five-star quarterbacks: They’re getting $2 million a year. The next-most sought after players are D-linemen, edge rushers; they’re getting seven figures. The next is a stud offensive lineman with quick feet — they’re in the high six figures. Everyone else is a hodgepodge, but in the six-figure range.”

Here’s an article from earlier today. This article is all anonymous. I feel like the only recruit that was openly named as receiving a million bucks was that QB that signed with Ohio State and then transferred to Texas.

From the article:
“This is the hierarchy,” said attorney Mike Caspino, who has represented dozens of recruits in their dealings with collectives and executed the contracts The Athletic reviewed. “Five-star quarterbacks: They’re getting $2 million a year. The next-most sought after players are D-linemen, edge rushers; they’re getting seven figures. The next is a stud offensive lineman with quick feet — they’re in the high six figures. Everyone else is a hodgepodge, but in the six-figure range.”

technically, these deals are not supposed to happen until after the kid is on campus and enrolled, correct?

but the recruiter is telling the prospect that "nothing can be in writing right now but when you are signed, this is what will happen," correct?

man, oh, man.

Highly unlikely they would pay an incoming OL that kind of money. I have heard of O-linemen getting $100K to $200K and maybe wheels but not that kind of $.

Let's stay realistic about NIL agreements. These kids haven't played a down in college.

This new world of NIL - I feel like I just stepped off the boat.

$8 million for a lineman? WTF? If this guy gets $8 million, what does everyone else get?

Anyone that watched Iowa football last years knows having one great lineman doesn't really mean that much, although it is better than having NO great lineman I guess.

For example, Jacksonville spent $43.5 million on OL's in 2021 out of $127 million payroll. They stunk. Los Angeles, on the other hand, spent $29.2 million on OL in 2021 out of $192 million payroll. They were pretty good.

What in the world is the total NIL at Bama for 2022? $100 mil?

🤷‍♂️

If this is gonna all blow up anyway, better to burn out or fade away?

Fonzi is gonna jump a lot of sharks.

Looking back at the last decade, how many Iowa players that have panned out would have been offered big time NIL money?

What are the specifics? The random numbers thrown around are so pointless without more details....

technically, these deals are not supposed to happen until after the kid is on campus and enrolled, correct?

but the recruiter is telling the prospect that "nothing can be in writing right now but when you are signed, this is what will happen," correct?

man, oh, man.
Exactly. Wait until a few of these guys either don't get the money, or lets say they recruit someone over them. I mean think about it for a second. Your Alabama or OSU, or whoever. So NEXT year your going after the top guy you can get as well aren't you? So what do you offer him? Well one of these guys isn't going to play. So your going to pay this kid millions of $$ while he sits on the bench, AND then he transfers because he ain't playing, and you get BUBKAS for your investment. On top of that this is only going to drastically speed up the portal process for guys who aren't playing because these schools aren't going to be able to justify paying these guys big $$ while they aren't playing. Add to that, lets say school X does in fact pay incoming Johnny the freshman big $$, (even though its basically still illegal to be paying kids who haven't even played yet). Well now you HAVE to start the guy don't you? I mean you have to start him. So what happens to the guy who's there? What happens to team chemistry when a couple of incoming freshman get millions and other guys on the team get very little if anything at all? You really think the kid who's been busting his ass for three years is going to be OK with Mr. BMOC getting millions while he gets next to nothing, but he's ok because they have a better chance of winning, (MAYBE). Mark it down, this is either going to slow way down, or its going to freakin IMPLODE quickly......

What are the specifics? The random numbers thrown around are so pointless without more details....
There are NO specifics, because technically NONE of this is legal. They can't pay kids who aren't even on the team yet. Also if they ever do sign a contract, I'd sure be looking over the fine print. Does Joey freshman all american, get the money if he doesn't win the starting job, or do you just give it to him? That should go over well with the other players.....

Reactions: Franisdaman
Exactly. Wait until a few of these guys either don't get the money, or lets say they recruit someone over them. I mean think about it for a second. Your Alabama or OSU, or whoever. So NEXT year your going after the top guy you can get as well aren't you? So what do you offer him? Well one of these guys isn't going to play. So your going to pay this kid millions of $$ while he sits on the bench, AND then he transfers because he ain't playing, and you get BUBKAS for your investment. On top of that this is only going to drastically speed up the portal process for guys who aren't playing because these schools aren't going to be able to justify paying these guys big $$ while they aren't playing. Add to that, lets say school X does in fact pay incoming Johnny the freshman big $$, (even though its basically still illegal to be paying kids who haven't even played yet). Well now you HAVE to start the guy don't you? I mean you have to start him. So what happens to the guy who's there? What happens to team chemistry when a couple of incoming freshman get millions and other guys on the team get very little if anything at all? You really think the kid who's been busting his ass for three years is going to be OK with Mr. BMOC getting millions while he gets next to nothing, but he's ok because they have a better chance of winning, (MAYBE). Mark it down, this is either going to slow way down, or its going to freakin IMPLODE quickly......
These are billionaire businessmen and their lawyers. Theyre gonna get their money worth and some players will get screwed. That's not debatable imo...

There are NO specifics, because technically NONE of this is legal. They can't pay kids who aren't even on the team yet. Also if they ever do sign a contract, I'd sure be looking over the fine print. Does Joey freshman all american, get the money if he doesn't win the starting job, or do you just give it to him? That should go over well with the other players.....
So it's all meaningless bs then ;)

it could make cfb very interesting if 0$ teams continue beating 50M teams at the same rate as always which i think is likely coz all that’s happened (on the overall) is that schools that already recruit very well are throwing a shitload of money to get the same guys. if so that nil money will drop real quickly.

it could make cfb very interesting if 0$ teams continue beating 50M teams at the same rate as always which i think is likely coz all that’s happened (on the overall) is that schools that already recruit very well are throwing a shitload of money to get the same guys. if so that nil money will drop real quickly.
And it could spread the talent a little thinner and give more opportunities, who knows.

Reactions: desihawk
So it's all meaningless bs then ;)
Not saying that. But, I don't see any possible way this doesn't become a HUGE problem from a team perspective. Football requires that each player of the 11 on both sides of the ball perform his assignment in order for the play to work. This all about me getting mine is new water for these kids and I'll be shocked if these teams laying out these huge contracts are going to be able to keep everyone "rowing in the same direction" as PJ would say..

At what do NFL owners step in and put their foot down? They cant like this at all.

See thats the crazy thing right there. Most of these schools are the ones already getting the top players. Is Bama or OSU really going to get even better players then they are now, NO.

Reactions: desihawk
Not saying that. But, I don't see any possible way this doesn't become a HUGE problem from a team perspective. Football requires that each player of the 11 on both sides of the ball perform his assignment in order for the play to work. This all about me getting mine is new water for these kids and I'll be shocked if these teams laying out these huge contracts are going to be able to keep everyone "rowing in the same direction" as PJ would say..
I am :). Til I see the contract it's all bs. That contract will be full of so many loopholes!

ADVERTISEMENT