ADVERTISEMENT

What if Proctor

Exactly. Wait until a few of these guys either don't get the money, or lets say they recruit someone over them. I mean think about it for a second. Your Alabama or OSU, or whoever. So NEXT year your going after the top guy you can get as well aren't you? So what do you offer him? Well one of these guys isn't going to play. So your going to pay this kid millions of $$ while he sits on the bench, AND then he transfers because he ain't playing, and you get BUBKAS for your investment. On top of that this is only going to drastically speed up the portal process for guys who aren't playing because these schools aren't going to be able to justify paying these guys big $$ while they aren't playing. Add to that, lets say school X does in fact pay incoming Johnny the freshman big $$, (even though its basically still illegal to be paying kids who haven't even played yet). Well now you HAVE to start the guy don't you? I mean you have to start him. So what happens to the guy who's there? What happens to team chemistry when a couple of incoming freshman get millions and other guys on the team get very little if anything at all? You really think the kid who's been busting his ass for three years is going to be OK with Mr. BMOC getting millions while he gets next to nothing, but he's ok because they have a better chance of winning, (MAYBE). Mark it down, this is either going to slow way down, or its going to freakin IMPLODE quickly......
You're way overthinking this. Pro rosters have wild disparities in salary and bench players there often get paid more than the starters, especially when somebody happens to be on a rookie deal. These deals are going to be paid out by collectives, which will have thousands of donations (think GoFundMe, with monthly giving). Hard strings aren't going to be on this money in terms of what the collective will do. If there are screw ups in terms of allocating a lot of resources to kids who aren't playing, well, either you fire the head coach and/or the "GM" that runs the collective.

And it could spread the talent a little thinner and give more opportunities, who knows.
could very well happen in a couple years. once it becomes apparent there was no need to throw money around and nil at the factories starts to slow, perhaps nil will start to work like you say.

could very well happen in a couple years. once it becomes apparent there was no need to throw money around and nil at the factories starts to slow, perhaps nil will start to work like you say.
I was thinking more about kids that would have went to Bama could now be going to other programs because of NIL. Schools like Bama, OSU etc will still get their guys but when NIL money is at play, these kids wanna see the field somewhere as opposed to sitting on the bench making nothing.

This new world of NIL - I feel like I just stepped off the boat.

$8 million for a lineman? WTF? If this guy gets $8 million, what does everyone else get?

Anyone that watched Iowa football last years knows having one great lineman doesn't really mean that much, although it is better than having NO great lineman I guess.

For example, Jacksonville spent $43.5 million on OL's in 2021 out of $127 million payroll. They stunk. Los Angeles, on the other hand, spent $29.2 million on OL in 2021 out of $192 million payroll. They were pretty good.

What in the world is the total NIL at Bama for 2022? $100 mil?

🤷‍♂️
The market for 5 star OL is more like a high 6 figure deal, not 8 million. That was a number thrown out there for a 5 star QB, and I'm guessing he's not going to see all of it unless he starts and is really good for Tennessee. Its also a deal for 4 full years to provide some context.

In the end, NIL I think will be such a positive for the sport because of the above-board nature of things. You'll know how you got beat, and coaches will now have ways to allocate resources to counter coaches that bid higher than them on a kid, and not just have it spill on their lap on signing day. Maybe Alabama does spend $20 million on a kid, maybe its even worth it. But these other programs now have a chance to bid up the price on them, and maybe Alabama has to play whack-a-mole and ends up leaving themselves a roster hole to deal with.

Highly unlikely they would pay an incoming OL that kind of money. I have heard of O-linemen getting $100K to $200K and maybe wheels but not that kind of $.

Let's stay realistic about NIL agreements. These kids haven't played a down in college.
A three star just got 500K. As far as being realistic, nothing seems quite right in college sports. Have you any idea what Proctor could be offered? No, you don't. All this is the wild wild west right now and it could get worse.

Reactions: chuck285
it could make cfb very interesting if 0$ teams continue beating 50M teams at the same rate as always which i think is likely coz all that’s happened (on the overall) is that schools that already recruit very well are throwing a shitload of money to get the same guys. if so that nil money will drop real quickly.

See thats the crazy thing right there. Most of these schools are the ones already getting the top players. Is Bama or OSU really going to get even better players then they are now, NO.

I just keep thinking about difference maker QBs like Cam Newton. He was the one player Auburn needed to win a National Championship & that's exactly what happened.

What is that stud QB, Arch Manning (2023 Class), getting offered I wonder? Right now, Rivals makes it look like it's either Alabama or Texas who land him. Will the best NIL offer get him? And man, if Bama gets him? Barf...I am getting sick of this $hit already!!!

You're way overthinking this. Pro rosters have wild disparities in salary and bench players there often get paid more than the starters, especially when somebody happens to be on a rookie deal. These deals are going to be paid out by collectives, which will have thousands of donations (think GoFundMe, with monthly giving). Hard strings aren't going to be on this money in terms of what the collective will do. If there are screw ups in terms of allocating a lot of resources to kids who aren't playing, well, either you fire the head coach and/or the "GM" that runs the collective.
Sure, BUT ALL players get paid pretty well in the league. Do you really think at MOST school that some offensive lineman who plays sparingly, but say ends ups starting because of an injury is going to make much of anything? Do you think that some 18yr old kid at QB making millions is going to approach his practice or work the same he would have in the past. We'll just wait and see, but I'll bet not.

His decision, but chasing dollars won't make you happy IMO.
I know everybody says
Money can't buy happiness

But it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it
It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced-down with some silver bullets
Yeah, and I know what they say,
Money can't buy everything
Well, maybe so,
But it could buy me a boat

I know everybody says
Money can't buy happiness !

Is it not truuuuuuuuuu ? I'd have never guessed ! 😉

Then why is it everybody want's more of it ?

I need to talk to the BOSS errrrr WIFE ASAP she does not agree WTF !

I know everybody says
Money can't buy happiness !

Is it not truuuuuuuuuu ? I'd have never guessed ! 😉

Then why is it everybody want's more of it ?

I need to talk to the BOSS errrrr WIFE ASAP she does not agree WTF !
I was in line at Casey’s one day and the lottery was way up. Someone was buying tickets and talking with the young clerk. The young clerk was like yep if I win I’m getting hookers and coke. Lol.

Every boy in Iowa dreams of walking through that tunnel with Back in Black bangin in Kinnick... but $8 million. Well there are a lot of us that will never meet the dream of walking through that tunnel.

Reactions: kkhawk
How can there be a NIL deal for $8 million? This blows my mind. And for an OL. What kind of deals are skill positions getting?

I know everybody says

Well, maybe so,
And that boat, while perhaps not bringing you happiness, sure as heck allows you to cruise right up alongside of it

Reactions: FranklinHawk
While listening to Murph and Andy on the radio today they said a highly rated offensive lineman signed a NIL for 8 million dollars. What would you guys think if Proctor went off to Alabama.
Would it be, great, that's what I would do or what?
Just curious what many would think.
What do I think?

I think he should come to Iowa so we can win a national f***ing championship..............

Because f*** Wisconsin, that's why. :D

Without NIL, I think it's Iowa.

With NIL... I really think it gets interesting before he commits.
There's a little over 525,000 children attending school in the state of Iowa. So if we convince their parents to lend them all just $2, that'd be well over $1 million towards the draft Kadyn Proctor Fund.......:D

said it before and will say again.
NIL=death of college sports as we know it.
Life will only get more difficult for Hawk fans. Prepare yourselves now folks....If this doesn't get checked soon there will be nothing left of college sports as we know them.
sad really.
Oh and if it continues make these kids getting all this cash up front pay for their schooling.

While listening to Murph and Andy on the radio today they said a highly rated offensive lineman signed a NIL for 8 million dollars. What would you guys think if Proctor went off to Alabama.
Would it be, great, that's what I would do or what?
Just curious what many would think.
The last Iowa high school stud OL to sign and play with Alabama has bounced around 3 different NFL practice squads and has never started an NFL game. Karma?

I know everybody says

Well, maybe so,
You forgot trophy wife!! I know, you already have one in your eye. But---

I wouldn’t blame him for taking $8mm. That’s life changing money and there’s no guarantee you’ll make it to the NFL. Hopefully some of our alumni with successful businesses step up so we can remain competitive with higher level recruits.

This new world of NIL - I feel like I just stepped off the boat.

$8 million for a lineman? WTF? If this guy gets $8 million, what does everyone else get?

Anyone that watched Iowa football last years knows having one great lineman doesn't really mean that much, although it is better than having NO great lineman I guess.

For example, Jacksonville spent $43.5 million on OL's in 2021 out of $127 million payroll. They stunk. Los Angeles, on the other hand, spent $29.2 million on OL in 2021 out of $192 million payroll. They were pretty good.

What in the world is the total NIL at Bama for 2022? $100 mil?

🤷‍♂️
I believe Texas a&m boosters or whatever ya wanna call them paid a reported like 21 mil for the number one recruiting class

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
technically, these deals are not supposed to happen until after the kid is on campus and enrolled, correct?

but the recruiter is telling the prospect that "nothing can be in writing right now but when you are signed, this is what will happen," correct?

man, oh, man.
I think contracts can be signed but cannot explicitly require a player to sign with a school. I doubt they can mention a specific school at all but am not 100% on that. I'd guess they include out clauses so the business / collective can nullify at any time for any reason so the player has to go to the implied school to get paid.

When do min ticket donations go to the collective...should start asap!

Reactions: mikesright
I just keep thinking about difference maker QBs like Cam Newton. He was the one player Auburn needed to win a National Championship & that's exactly what happened.

What is that stud QB, Arch Manning (2023 Class), getting offered I wonder? Right now, Rivals makes it look like it's either Alabama or Texas who land him. Will the best NIL offer get him? And man, if Bama gets him? Barf...I am getting sick of this $hit already!!!

You're tired of bama getting good players?

What's that have to do with nil? They've been buying kids for years...

Reactions: mikesright
Sure, BUT ALL players get paid pretty well in the league. Do you really think at MOST school that some offensive lineman who plays sparingly, but say ends ups starting because of an injury is going to make much of anything? Do you think that some 18yr old kid at QB making millions is going to approach his practice or work the same he would have in the past. We'll just wait and see, but I'll bet not.
An olinemen that sits in the bench should be happy with his free education housing food etc

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
said it before and will say again.
NIL=death of college sports as we know it.
Life will only get more difficult for Hawk fans. Prepare yourselves now folks....If this doesn't get checked soon there will be nothing left of college sports as we know them.
sad really.
Oh and if it continues make these kids getting all this cash up front pay for their schooling.
Depends if Kirk and fran are willing to do what needs done....if so it could help us. We won't buy a natl title but it could help...up to barta Fran and kirk

I'm pretty sure a lot of ex Iowa players now in the pro's will donate to the new NIL programs. They know what it takes!!!

I think contracts can be signed but cannot explicitly require a player to sign with a school. I doubt they can mention a specific school at all but am not 100% on that. I'd guess they include out clauses so the business / collective can nullify at any time for any reason so the player has to go to the implied school to get paid.

thanks.

it would be nice to get an understanding of what the rules exactly are.

ADVERTISEMENT