ADVERTISEMENT

What if Proctor

Those of you who longed for the poor little players to get paid…the blood of college sports is on your hands.
lol, k. This was fought tooth and nail by the powers that be, it was inevitable. And the fans who “longed” for it, had nothing to do with it dipshit.

Those of you who longed for the poor little players to get paid…the blood of college sports is on your hands.
Why wouldn’t you want players to get paid? These kids are risking injuries they carry forward for a lifetime for our entertainment. This sport is big and moneyed enough for the players to get a slice. Iowa is going to be just fine in this new system. College football needed a kick in the ass to upset some of the stratification in this sport.

Reactions: LEEJO and SI_NYC
I see Proctor has scheduled 3 OVs so far. Not one for Iowa yet. And I think his Oregon OV is the same weekend as Iowa's big June OV weekend. Doesn't seem like the best development for their chances.

You're way overthinking this. Pro rosters have wild disparities in salary and bench players there often get paid more than the starters, especially when somebody happens to be on a rookie deal. These deals are going to be paid out by collectives, which will have thousands of donations (think GoFundMe, with monthly giving). Hard strings aren't going to be on this money in terms of what the collective will do. If there are screw ups in terms of allocating a lot of resources to kids who aren't playing, well, either you fire the head coach and/or the "GM" that runs the collective.
Still has to be some coordination with HC of team. Collective may think someone adds value but HC could strongly disagree and at what point does the collective gain a vote as to the roster?

I am not holding anything against players that are given this type of money. What I am concerned about (outside of the NIL in general) is the impact on an 18 year old incoming freshman. It was not that many years ago there was so much discussion and real life examples of 22 year old pros, not being able to handle their new found fame and money which led to so many personal and professional issues. I am hoping they have strong mentors and parents that can help them navigate these waters. What will life be like when an 18 year old hit campus and everyone knows "he is the guy that was offered lots of $$$$$$". Can you image the people they will run across?? Are they prepared for social life? Will they still be "student athletes"? How will they respond to microscopic evaluations on their performance game in and game out? (and you KNOW that will happen). Feels like NIL sat on one side of the waterbed and the other side popped up and created many waves that were not there before.

I also wonder what a sports agent take is on this? Will there be a point in time that a college athlete will be able to sign on with an agent?(legally) I certainly will not say that would never happen as I never would have thought high school players getting ready for college would be offered millions potentially. 4 years from now what will a player that makes a million a year playing college ball is worth in the pros even if his college career was average?

So many things downstream to come from this and most of it does not feel real great to me. Pandora's box has been opened and it's going to be an interesting journey.

The bluebloods must hate this! Shelling out big bucks to players they were gonna get for free! Well, except for the little bags of money, cars and a house here and there! LOL. It's gonna be interesting when one of these seven figure recruits gets on the field and shits the bed!

I see Proctor has scheduled 3 OVs so far. Not one for Iowa yet. And I think his Oregon OV is the same weekend as Iowa's big June OV weekend. Doesn't seem like the best development for their chances.
I think he's been to IC 6-7 times already. Not sure it means anything and it might be as innocent as he wanted to visit Oregon and it was the only weekend that worked for those involved.

If his family wants to see him play in person... Iowa is still the pick.

If he gets $$$$ from Nike he will be able to fly his parents to every game or even move them to Oregon.
A bunch of crap but that's the new NCAA.

8 million sets you up for life…..and that kind of financial security makes finding happiness a hell of a lot easier.
Fact. $8M is 40 yrs of making $200k salary. Invest $7M of that and if you only make 5% returns annually, that's $350k per year in interest. That's "never have to work, do what something that makes you happy" kind of money.

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
I think he's been to IC 6-7 times already. Not sure it means anything and it might be as innocent as he wanted to visit Oregon and it was the only weekend that worked for those involved.

If his family wants to see him play in person... Iowa is still the pick.
Well not really.

His decision, but chasing dollars won't make you happy IMO.

What about chasing money and going to a powerhouse program known for having great OLs, putting a lot of offensive lineman in the NFL, and winning national championships?

I would imagine that would make someone very happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
If he becomes a Hawk that's awesome. If not, life goes on. Looks to be a great player, but a single great olineman won't be that impactful in the grand scheme of things. For some perspective, Iowa had perhaps the best olineman in the entire country last year and he played as well as any college lineman could. It wasn't nearly enough to offset deficits elsewhere resulting in an offense that was less than adequate.

Reactions: MitchLL
If he becomes a Hawk that's awesome. If not, life goes on. Looks to be a great player, but a single great olineman won't be that impactful in the grand scheme of things. For some perspective, Iowa had perhaps the best olineman in the entire country last year and he played as well as any college lineman could. It wasn't nearly enough to offset deficits elsewhere resulting in an offense that was less than adequate.
While all this maybe true ! Can you really say that if we don't get the best linemen we can that we'll be fine.
I'd say just the opposite we need more of the best linemen .

Life does go on but it's harder without really good offensive line play, and to have that you need the best you can get..........Can't have to many great linemen, that's your foundation .

Do you want to build a new house on anything that's not real stable or good ?

We seem to always have a weak link on the offensive line if it's not the interior it's the tackles ?

Last edited:
In truth, there is a very small list of colleges now that ever compete for the National Championship. That list won't be altered a great deal by NIL, but it will cause the rest of us to pony up some cash just to stay in the game.

While all this maybe true ! Can you really say that if we don't get the best linemen we can that we'll be fine.
I'd say just the opposite we need more of the best linemen .

Life does go on but it's harder without really good offensive line play, and to have that you need the best you can get..........Can't have to many great linemen, that's your foundation .

Do you want to build a new house on anything that's not real stable or good ?

We seem to always have a weak link on the offensive line if it's not the interior it's the tackles ?
I guess I'd agree. I'd rather have a bunch of good linemen and a stud QB or RB than one star lineman surrounded by what we had last year. The oline is really only as good as it's weakest link. My point I guess is that the Iowa offense won't be much better or worse off regardless of what Proctor decides to do. That really depends upon the collective group and whether Iowa can grab/develop a star skill player or 2.

In truth, there is a very small list of colleges now that ever compete for the National Championship. That list won't be altered a great deal by NIL, but it will cause the rest of us to pony up some cash just to stay in the game.
So basically get rid of NIL, and develop a system that takes top recruits away from the top tier schools and spreads them out among other CFB programs so they can have more success as well?

Do it......

ADVERTISEMENT