ADVERTISEMENT

What if season canceled

Iowa7285

Rookie
Dec 21, 2013
and classes are not... do players get an extra year of eligibility? And can players still leave for draft early after 3yrs? Feel we have a very talented team this year and would hate to never see some of them on the field again....

and classes are not... do players get an extra year of eligibility? And can players still leave for draft early after 3yrs? Feel we have a very talented team this year and would hate to never see some of them on the field again....
Doubt they'll get an extra year.
Why couldn't they leave after 3?

Depends on the university, chances are not many universities are going to pay an extra year for scholarship athletes that want an extra year due to cancelation. Maybe if they decided to walk on i could see it.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
the NCAA probably wouldn't allow it anyway.
You have 5 years to play 4.

Yes, but the vaccine isn't going to be here for the start of a fall football season.
We also don't know how helpful the vaccine will be yet. Not all vaccines work the same. Some just make it less likely to be infected or make you a little more likely to have less severe infections. We also don't know how fast this is mutating, so we don't know how quickly the effectiveness of a vaccine will decline.

Bottom line: We will have to wait and see on a LOT.

I believe they gave last spring athletes an extra year.

the NCAA probably wouldn't allow it anyway.
You have 5 years to play 4.

interesting question might be how conferences handle this outside the NCAA. I hadn’t really known this before the current title game and precious bcs system wasn’t really part of NCAA standard rules. Did football break away? I think so. So who knows how it could go?

Reactions: Bizon73
interesting question might be how conferences handle this outside the NCAA. I hadn’t really known this before the current title game and precious bcs system wasn’t really part of NCAA standard rules. Did football break away? I think so. So who knows how it could go?

The only thing the NCAA does is sanction the bowl games and distribute
the money. After the bowl money goes out the back door of course.

I believe they gave last spring athletes an extra year.
Eligibility yes. If the school wants them back or offers them money is a different issues.

guessing not a lot of DIII athletes will be lining up to pay huge tuition for maybe another year to lay a spring sports, which may very well be cancelled again.

With vaccine on the way everyone needs to settle down.

The leading candidates now have a deal where you have to get 2 shots but spaced apart in time. So say 50% of Americans get it, that means 170 million x 2 will have to be lining up somewhere to get them. The logistics will take time and time is needed just to get the full immunity.

COVID is almost over.
No it's not. schools are starting soon. That is a "head in the sand" approach. I do, however, hope that the conferences do make some good decisions, and abolish the NCAA for good. Why do they get to dip their beak in the $$$. They seem a bit inept, and I don't understand why it even exists.

Eligibility yes. If the school wants them back or offers them money is a different issues.

guessing not a lot of DIII athletes will be lining up to pay huge tuition for maybe another year to lay a spring sports, which may very well be cancelled again.

Elimination of programs, athletic department shrinkage and personnel cuts would not be surprising.

Let me give you a spoiler of what will happen if the football season gets canceled.......

Non football sports are currently debating especially for mid majors. Current rumor is a twice a week Covid testing. Mid majors don’t have money to test this frequent. You can see multiple schools pushed to spring.

Personally, I think they need to delay the season to spring. There is a pretty good chance that we will have some sort of treatment available by then and the risk of an entire schedule falling apart because of outbreaks is much smaller.

Seeing how we can't keep major league baseball players who are being paid millions of dollars from going out and putting themselves at risk, I don't know why anybody thinks that they will be able to control college kids, who are not being paid directly, from going out and putting themselves at risk. Heck, they often live in petri dishes anyway at the dorms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT