ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with this team?

DodgerHawki

HR Legend
Nov 19, 2002
Just take a scroll through Hawkeye Chronicles Twitter feed where he has some short cutups of numerous plays against ISU. So many plays where o-linemen aren't blocking anyone, multiple players (TE's, WR's) whiff on making any contact whatsoever. Tons of plays where Iowa outnumbers ISU at the LOS and guys just don't block people.

https://twitter.com/HawksChronicles

What is going on in practice? What happened in camp? This is unlike anything I've ever seen from a KF-coached team. A line that doesn't block people, or if they do they don't play physical or to the whistle. I get that the QB should probably be replaced, he has not been good either. But at what point do KF and BF, who have coached good o-lines and know what that looks like, step in and do something about the crapshow that is the OL.

The team this year just screams of a program in which the Head Coach has almost completely lost interest in actually trying to compete. This offense looks just like 1998, when KF came on board and basically said "WTF is this offense you guys are putting on the field?". Now he has "built" the exact same thing that he despised 20+ years ago. HF at least had an excuse that he was battling a terminal illness and was in denial. KF has no such excuse (that anyone knows of); he has just simply got to the point that going through the motions is enough (like many people at or near retirement) and protecting his boy now takes priority over everything else...

Just take a scroll through Hawkeye Chronicles Twitter feed where he has some short cutups of numerous plays against ISU. So many plays where o-linemen aren't blocking anyone, multiple players (TE's, WR's) whiff on making any contact whatsoever. Tons of plays where Iowa outnumbers ISU at the LOS and guys just don't block people.

What is going on in practice? What happened in camp? This is unlike anything I've ever seen from a KF-coached team. A line that doesn't block people, or if they do they don't play physical or to the whistle. I get that the QB should probably be replaced, he has not been good either. But at what point do KF and BF, who have coached good o-lines and know what that looks like, step in and do something about the crapshow that is the OL.
At what point? The off-season (if they ever do). You can’t fix these problems during the season.

Thanks for the link

Yep its been one huge shit show

Reactions: crstuff
I was very bear-ish on the OL this season, because we just didn’t get better as the season went on. The bowl game was encouraging, but in hindsight was definitely a one-off. Being bad is easier to tolerate if you’re young. Well, they’re all a year older and are playing worse.

And that Twitter feed is depressing as hell. Stephens is just…wow. And Richman needs to switch numbers. He ain’t no 78.

Depressing as a fan to hear this but I watched enough replays to see what you mean. Not a huge deal in the overall scheme of everything but if you are a big fan and you have 2/3's of the pieces you want that other third. And the Ferentzs are offensive side coaches

The team this year just screams of a program in which the Head Coach has almost completely lost interest in actually trying to compete. This offense looks just like 1998, when KF came on board and basically said "WTF is this offense you guys are putting on the field?". Now he has "built" the exact same thing that he despised 20+ years ago. HF at least had an excuse that he was battling a terminal illness and was in denial. KF has no such excuse (that anyone knows of); he has just simply got to the point that going through the motions is enough (like many people at or near retirement) and protecting his boy now takes priority over everything else...
Lol

giphy.gif

Well we have a coach that still thinks it’s 1985, he hired his completely inept son to coach an already bad offense, and he has now managed to make it the worst offense in football. I’m guessing the players don’t really like what’s going on in regards to the offense, and the fact they keep trotting out the worst qb pretty much anyone has ever seen.

KF has terminal case of the stupid.

• Love
Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Give me a break. Many older men have prostate cancer. Very slow moving. Hayden lived, what, 20 more years with it.

Hardly an excuse for 1998.
Yeah, my Mom lived for 20 years after getting a breast cancer diagnosis. That must mean that the surgery, chemo and radiation she received at the time of diagnosis must have been a piece of cake. Guess she was quite the whiner...

(what an egregious a-hole comment)

Give me a break. Many older men have prostate cancer. Very slow moving. Hayden lived, what, 20 more years with it.

Hardly an excuse for 1998.
Here’s what Ryan Hansen said the 98 team was the worst he ever played on,said they had almost no talent said that when KF got there you could see a different system and slow improvement. He believes Hayden’s last 2 years were really affected by the cancer

Here’s what Ryan Hansen said the 98 team was the worst he ever played on,said they had almost no talent said that when KF got there you could see a different system and slow improvement. He believes Hayden’s last 2 years were really affected by the cancer

Ryan Hansen sucked.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Ryan Hansen sucked.
My gosh why would you say this are you jealous of him and all his success in the big world I have no idea why you would say this at the time he was good and is a great hawk that tries to still watch all the games in England despite the time difference I think a post like this only diminishes you

Reactions: BDJHawk

I agree with all of this. If you try to talk on this board about anything other than QB everyone practically screams at you and tries to bring the conversation back to the QB. But until the OL can block someone it’s not going to make as much difference as we all hope. I feel like usually a line that is struggling will at least do one thing competently (e.g. maybe they are OK run blocking but can’t pass block or struggle picking up blitzes, etc). So far this line can’t do anything.

I worry it’s because they are all underclassmen. I remember thinking during Tristan Wirfs freshman year that he struggled a bit too. Maybe if we had just one or two young guys we could mask it and cover it up. Last year we weren’t great on the line but with Linderbaum in the middle there were at least some things we could do. This year we are just young at every position on the line and I’m afraid it won’t get better until next year.

I agree with all of this. If you try to talk on this board about anything other than QB everyone practically screams at you and tries to bring the conversation back to the QB. But until the OL can block someone it’s not going to make as much difference as we all hope. I feel like usually a line that is struggling will at least do one thing competently (e.g. maybe they are OK run blocking but can’t pass block or struggle picking up blitzes, etc). So far this line can’t do anything.

I worry it’s because they are all underclassmen. I remember thinking during Tristan Wirfs freshman year that he struggled a bit too. Maybe if we had just one or two young guys we could mask it and cover it up. Last year we weren’t great on the line but with Linderbaum in the middle there were at least some things we could do. This year we are just young at every position on the line and I’m afraid it won’t get better until next year.
I hear you Mountain Man. The thing that is shocking to me is the amount of plays where guys just stand around and block exactly no one. I get there are a several guys playing for the first time, but the mistakes aren't just them getting beat physically (although that happens too). There are just so many plays where 1-2 guys on the line look like they have no idea who they are supposed to block. Even when Iowa had to play young guys like Wirfs, Alaric Jackson and Linderbaum, that didn't happen. Even Richman and Colby are doing it sometimes. I have never seen this happen with a KF team.

Even if Barnett is bad as an o-line coach, how KF and BF can watch this crapshow through two games and not get it fixed is beyond me. The dearth of talent at receiver and the poor QB play mean the offense just can't be good, but if they get to the point where the OL can get in the way of the opponent there are some plays to be had. If there is not some sort of improvement, the back half of the schedule is going to be a nightmare. Backs and QB's are not going to survive the season with this sort of blocking.

th

Mass CHAOS!!!!

I hear you Mountain Man. The thing that is shocking to me is the amount of plays where guys just stand around and block exactly no one. I get there are a several guys playing for the first time, but the mistakes aren't just them getting beat physically (although that happens too). There are just so many plays where 1-2 guys on the line look like they have no idea who they are supposed to block. Even when Iowa had to play young guys like Wirfs, Alaric Jackson and Linderbaum, that didn't happen. Even Richman and Colby are doing it sometimes. I have never seen this happen with a KF team.

Even if Barnett is bad as an o-line coach, how KF and BF can watch this crapshow through two games and not get it fixed is beyond me. The dearth of talent at receiver and the poor QB play mean the offense just can't be good, but if they get to the point where the OL can get in the way of the opponent there are some plays to be had. If there is not some sort of improvement, the back half of the schedule is going to be a nightmare. Backs and QB's are not going to survive the season with this sort of blocking.
Agreed. It’s like it’s so bad that it’s almost encouraging in the sense that you would think they could at least figure out who they are supposed to block. Like if they were getting physically manhandled, well that can’t be fixed in a couple of weeks, but they should at least be able to make some improvements in terms of just knowing what they are supposed to do and giving good effort and playing to the whistle every snap.

Pretty clear that the O-line isn't developing at the rate it needs to be for a "developmental program". So long does Barnett get?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT