ADVERTISEMENT

What is success tomorrow?

Sep 3, 2009
Clearly Nevada is not a good team, when an FCS team puts up 55 points, the bar is pretty low. But you also know Ferentz and his habit of scoring only as much as needed.
That being said, what is a successful offensive game tomorrow? I would say they need to score at least 30.
Nevada has also given up 6 yards per play to some pretty bad teams so far, so I would hope we could beat that mark, even though right now we are last in the country at 2.8 yards per play.

Lastly, I’m resigned to the fact that Petras is starting, but it would be really stupid to not put Padilla in if the lead is healthy. This could be their last chance to get the backups some PT.

Stubborn Kirk would play Petras every snap this year like 2012. Iowa was up 31-7 deep in the 4th on Minnesota yet JVB is taking snaps. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
The offense would need to gouge out at least 5 yards per carry, stay well ahead of the downs and distance, drive the ball and score 5 TDs which if the defense is doing its normal job will be a Kirk type blowout. Blom the kicker needs to get less

The offensive line needs to get on defenders and maintain blocks and drive them down the field. Petras and maybe Padilla need to be on target and on time with some crisp passing.

Alex Wick got open on down and in patterns about 12-15 yards down the field in both the first games. I think he can be a pretty good Hinkle type as time goes on but he is good enough now.

The only negative is a 17-14 type of win. less than that, or, somehow a loss, they need to make a change. A blowout win is a blowout win.

Stubborn Kirk would play Petras every snap this year like 2012. Iowa was up 31-7 deep in the 4th on Minnesota yet JVB is taking snaps. I guess we'll see.
I hope I’m wrong but this is what I’m expecting as well. Iowa up comfortably in the 4th and it’s just Petras handing off every play as we try to milk the clock, punt, and play defense.

I never have or will understand Kirk's philosophy w/ QB's. He never lets backups get reps even if there are opportunities. I am really surprised we've recruited as well as we have at this position. It's been this way from the beginning.

Doubt Padilla gets anything more than late game mop up duty in a blowout. No way Kirk lets him showcase anything.

You all are in for a rude surprise this evening. They aren’t very good but neither is Iowa. I wouldn’t be shocked if Nevada ends up beating Iowa because KF is so stubborn not giving up on Petras.

You all are in for a rude surprise this evening. They aren’t very good but neither is Iowa. I wouldn’t be shocked if Nevada ends up beating Iowa because KF is so stubborn not giving up on Petras.
Even Petras can’t lose this game. Hawks win….guaranteed.

If Nevada wins, then I am all for firing Kirk.

Convincing mahomes to somehow leave the NFL to replace SP

If that doesn't work.... just replace him with a backup that looks like they want to be out there

Nevada isn't scoring 14 points unless it's late scoring against our 2nd string defense. Once caveat...is whether Petras or our backs fumble deep in our territory...or an interception. I've watched the Nevada offense...no way they hold up against our front seven. Expect turnovers too.

This could be a 28-7 game or something like that. I'd love to see our running game get something going...and get Kaleb Johnson at least 15 or so touches. This kid needs the damn ball so he can get comfortable with the speed of the college game.

success is Padilla or backups going for 3 tds to at least show that the old man is willing to adapt and make a change. If Spencer plays every snap in a 17-3 type game… Fire them all.

But, in reality, There is no success with this game. Its a bad Nevada team…. They can score 60 and it means nothing

Doubt Padilla gets anything more than late game mop up duty in a blowout. No way Kirk lets him showcase anything.
KF won't do much, that is most likely outcome.

KF might dig in harder to avoid a controversy and then we won't see QB backup no matter what the score.
It could play out like Vandenberg senior year.

Or we might see Padilla come in to hand off the ball in a blowout--- assuming we can get to a blowout score with this offense...not confident on that.

Maybe BF will grow a pair and stand up to papa.

Iowa might be putting out the worse viewing product in all of college football. Barta has really blown not maintaining any leverage.

KF won't do much, that is most likely outcome.

KF might dig in harder to avoid a controversy and then we won't see QB backup no matter what the score.
It could play out like Vandenberg senior year.

Or we might see Padilla come in to hand off the ball in a blowout--- assuming we can get to a blowout score with this offense...not confident on that.

Maybe BF will grow a pair and stand up to papa.

Iowa might be putting out the worse viewing product in all of college football. Barta has really blown not maintaining any leverage.
Success would be scoring 35 points or more. I don’t see it happening without 2 or 3 defensive or special team scores

ADVERTISEMENT