ADVERTISEMENT

What is the “Mendoza Line” in BB?

I believe most consider a true shooting % (TS%) of 40% or 50% as the mendoza line. Connor is at 33% so not many make it under the 40% line. Ulis (48%) and Connor would be the only Iowa players under the 50% line.

In baseball, it’s referred to as the “Mendoza Line.” In basketball, I believe it’s referred to as the “McCaffery Line” and it appears to not really be a line at all…

giphy.gif

Reactions: Torg
In MLB, it’s traditionally batting .200

or in some circles, batting your weight.

so to apply that to Basketball, should a player’s age, for example, be greater than their FG% ?
75% free throws, 33% 3pt. shooting and 50% 2 pt shooting. That would be the goals that i would want.

I'd guess eFG at 40-45% would be mendoza-esque. 50% seems average for Big Ten caliber players.
CMac is at 25%
At the four state schools, only two walk-ons (one at UNI and one at ISU who get about a minute per game) shoot worse. I am not trying to be mean here, but I honestly do not think he would get quality minutes at UNI or Drake.

I'd guess eFG at 40-45% would be mendoza-esque. 50% seems average for Big Ten caliber players.
CMac is at 25%
At the four state schools, only two walk-ons (one at UNI and one at ISU who get about a minute per game) shoot worse. I am not trying to be mean here, but I honestly do not think he would get quality minutes at UNI or Drake.

Oh come on. Who’s feeding the post at those schools anyway?

CMac is at 25%

This is a bit much, IMHO. I really think Connor has a place--IN CERTAIN TYPES OF GAMES--and does bring some things to the table. But against teams like Purdue--quick guards and large posts--he's useless. His shooting was never very good, and now it's downright pathetic. He plays like he knows it and looks afraid to shoot. He can't guard quickness, and gets pushed around by the bigger posts.
He is a smart player, and can play smart defense, against SOME guys. But his father's insistence on playing him in situations that expose him (and others as well) is brutal.

This is a bit much, IMHO. I really think Connor has a place--IN CERTAIN TYPES OF GAMES--and does bring some things to the table. But against teams like Purdue--quick guards and large posts--he's useless. His shooting was never very good, and now it's downright pathetic. He plays like he knows it and looks afraid to shoot. He can't guard quickness, and gets pushed around by the bigger posts.
He is a smart player, and can play smart defense, against SOME guys. But his father's insistence on playing him in situations that expose him (and others as well) is brutal.
No I am not trying to exaggerate
Look around Barttorvik and find a player with:
Less than 40% eFG (once again CMac is 25%)
Ast and TO ratings equal (CMac is about equal on these)
Minute % of over 10% (once again CMac is at 37%)
I could only find a guy at PSU with similarly bad stats with that many minutes

Not overstated a whole lot. Who exactly is he going to take minutes from on UNI or Drake's team? How would any coach justify doing so?

No I am not trying to exaggerate
Look around Barttorvik and find a player with:
Less than 40% eFG (once again CMac is 25%)
Ast and TO ratings equal (CMac is about equal on these)
Minute % of over 10% (once again CMac is at 37%)
I could only find a guy at PSU with similarly bad stats with that many minutes
Since this post CMac has improved from 25% eFG to 54.9% (3rd of any substantial minute-getter)
Turnovers have improved
Assist/Turnover ratio has improved
And that includes missed time due to injury
Iowa 10-3 record
Obviously there has been a substantial improvement, I was wrong, and I can't be more happy about it.

Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT