ADVERTISEMENT

What is the deal with IOWA's MAT?

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Can someone please explain why they can't get a new mat? It appears that there is a pretty decent size rip with tape on it in the center section. I understand it is not a big deal, but what I would consider the premier program by far in the country. You would think this is a no brainer?

I do not think it could possible be a budget issue? What would a new may cost 10-15K? Also with a little work, I would bet that any of the big companies would offer a great discount just to have their logo on it where more fans/coaches are going to see it than anywhere!

Can someone please explain why they can't get a new mat? It appears that there is a pretty decent size rip with tape on it in the center section. I understand it is not a big deal, but what I would consider the premier program by far in the country. You would think this is a no brainer?

I do not think it could possible be a budget issue? What would a new may cost 10-15K? Also with a little work, I would bet that any of the big companies would offer a great discount just to have their logo on it where more fans/coaches are going to see it than anywhere!
not sure what you are exactly talking about with a tear in the center, i was right next to the mat on sat night for the kids clinic and didnt noticed anything visiable. and if there was a decent size tear or rip, im sure brands would be advocating for a new mat.

not sure what you are exactly talking about with a tear in the center, i was right next to the mat on sat night for the kids clinic and didnt noticed anything visiable. and if there was a decent size tear or rip, im sure brands would be advocating for a new mat.

I may have been drinking too much. I would have sworn that it was there 2 matches ago and looked repaired last match. I am going back to the videos!

It seems to me that a lot of people are have a misunderstanding that wrestling makes a lot of money. It doesn't.

If you go back to the video of the Iowa vs Chattanooga dual...

with 2:13 left in the first period, Spencer just scored his first set of back points at the edge of the mat.

it is there you can see a “Huge” rip in the mat covered in a double wide piece of mat tape.
It has to be close to 12” by 15” in size.

I can’t figure how to link an image, but it was in a lot of matches (the year).

Money??? I'm thinking that at Iowa the wrestling program makes money for the year, along with basketball and football. Don't know of any other sport in the black at Iowa:rolleyes:

Money??? I'm thinking that at Iowa the wrestling program makes money for the year, along with basketball and football. Don't know of any other sport in the black at Iowa:rolleyes:

You’re thinking wrong. Even with the home schedule this season that will bring with it high attendance, the program will not be in the black.

How that relates directly to buying a wrestling mat I do not know.

Reactions: blhawk
If you go back to the video of the Iowa vs Chattanooga dual...

with 2:13 left in the first period, Spencer just scored his first set of back points at the edge of the mat.

it is there you can see a “Huge” rip in the mat covered in a double wide piece of mat tape.
It has to be close to 12” by 15” in size.

I can’t figure how to link an image, but it was in a lot of matches (the year).
It was there I saw it also. The tear was probably just covered till it could be repaired, the mats are repairable. Besides the tear it’s in Brands new condition no need for a new one!
I will add this, I have watched matches from schools like Northern Colorado, SDSU, Chattanooga, Binghamton, Maryland, Cambell and so on they all have like new Home mats. If IOWA needed one they would have it and the $$$ would not matter!!!

Reactions: TarpHawk
Well thank the LORD!!! After a long night of pondering, I had to reach the tough conclusion to empty out my liquor cabinets and dumb all the evil spirits down the drain.

Something told me to check the board first. Low and behold, I was not as whacked as some led me to believe. There was something I was seeing and b man it was NOT something on my screen!

The point is, in todays world and the "recruiting wars" every little thing might be a factor. I for one am somewhat against say a 90 million dollar Football budget at Alabama. The lockers have a shelve where you put your shoulder pads and air vents dries them for you!!!

Still you can not blame the athletes who work very hard to put themselves in position to receive offers with benefits such as these.

So please, someone ask coach Brands at the next home meet to get with it:D

Reactions: TarpHawk
I've noticed it too, it drives me nuts. It's about a 4"x 6" rectangular hole that looks patched. If you're watching on TV, it's dead center, bottom of the mat (yellow) in front of the cheerleaders.

Here's a video that shows it. Press pause immediately before the match starts and it's near the bottom of the yellow:

Reactions: IAROY and IRONBIRD
Well thank the LORD!!! After a long night of pondering, I had to reach the tough conclusion to empty out my liquor cabinets and dumb all the evil spirits down the drain.

Something told me to check the board first. Low and behold, I was not as whacked as some led me to believe. There was something I was seeing and b man it was NOT something on my screen!

The point is, in todays world and the "recruiting wars" every little thing might be a factor. I for one am somewhat against say a 90 million dollar Football budget at Alabama. The lockers have a shelve where you put your shoulder pads and air vents dries them for you!!!

Still you can not blame the athletes who work very hard to put themselves in position to receive offers with benefits such as these.

So please, someone ask coach Brands at the next home meet to get with it:D
For the record, I thought you were crazy yesterday too, turns out my wife has been right this whole time, I never notice when she gets her hair done, I can never find sh^t in the fridge and I've never noticed this...I need to pay more attention. Good eye Ironbird!

I do not think it could possible be a budget issue? What would a new may cost 10-15K? Also with a little work, I would bet that any of the big companies would offer a great discount just to have their logo on it where more fans/coaches are going to see it than anywhere![/QUOTE

just an FYI- when they tore down the mats Saturday night I noticed the other side was freestyle.

That section of the mat is removable. Underneath is the switch they have to flip to make Carver "electric" during home duals.

Reactions: HoundedHawk
It seems to me that a lot of people are have a misunderstanding that wrestling makes a lot of money. It doesn't.
So your'e saying that TnT shouldn't throw $10-15k at making what the OP himself says isn't a big deal, go away?
tenor.gif

No way the wrestling team's revenue > expenses.

I don't think Iowa wrestling is into the Tigerhawk, but it would be nice to see a mat with an enormous one on it, and then a game among the team that there is some sort of reward for pinning someone on the eye.

For those saying that the hole in the mat covered with mat tape isn’t a big deal better also argue that a new stand alone wrestling facility is a waste of money too.

The Gable complex in Carver is big enough and has what is “NEEDED” so what is to be gained by a 30 million dollar facility other than “Waste” money.

In the recruiting wars, the facilities have become front and center. When everything else is equal, then the facilities are a big part of kids decisions these days.

You can say “So what, we don’t need them then” but how has that worked for the last decade.

It would be beneficial to pay the 3 to 4 grand to recondition the mat and be done with it and “for sure” not lose a recruit because of it.

The facilities are a reflection of the program...
Shine the best light possible on it!

I don't think Iowa wrestling is into the Tigerhawk, but it would be nice to see a mat with an enormous one on it, and then a game among the team that there is some sort of reward for pinning someone on the eye.

They have one at the top, but IMHO Wrestling Herky > Tigerhawk.

ADVERTISEMENT